Greening Up Your Business Practices - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree14Likes

Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default Greening Up Your Business Practices

When you think of “going green”, some of the first things that come to mind are cutting back on waste and being more efficient with your energy usage. As a plumber, though, you can make a big impact on the environment with how you choose to run your business. If you’ve never considered how you could go green as a plumber, here are a few little things that could help you to make a big difference.

Recycling Materials and Scraps

A lot of the fixtures and materials you use as a plumber can actually be recycled, providing raw materials for other products at a reduced energy cost while reducing the waste that makes it into landfills. Think about it… most plumbing fixtures, pipes and other materials are either made of metal or plastic. While not all materials are recyclable, you should be able to recycle at least a good portion of the materials you replace as well as any scraps you might generate from cutting pipes and tubing to fit. Just ensure you separate the items according to specific material type to make recycling easier.

Using Digital Documentation

You might not have ever given it much thought, but the average plumber goes through a lot of paper every year. Each invoice, letter, and document takes at least one sheet, and that may be multiplied if you keep hard copies for yourself as well. To cut back on both paper usage and paper waste, try switching as much as you can to digital documentation. You can keep your own records on a computer, and digital invoices can be signed by customers using a tablet or other portable device. You can offer to email copies to the customer by default – or you can keep a portable printer in your truck so that you only print hard copies upon request. In addition to helping the environment, you may be surprised at how much of a difference it makes in your expenses to not go through all of that paper and ink every year.

Solar and Tankless Water Heaters

Another big way that you can help the environment is to specialize in options such as solar water heating and tankless water heaters. Both of these reduce both water waste and energy waste by eliminating the need to keep a large tank of water hot and ready for use. Solar heaters especially reduce energy costs for your customers by using the power of the sun itself to heat water for use in the home. Even if you don’t offer these options exclusively, being able to recommend them to your customers can make a big difference.

Greywater and HVAC Recovery

When it comes to water conservation, offering options for greywater and HVAC water recovery can help reduce the overall amount of water that your customers use. Greywater and water recovered from HVAC condensation has limited uses, but those uses are among some of the biggest ways that consumers use water. By offering greywater recycling and HVAC condensation recovery as an option, you can give consumers a way to care for gardens, water their lawns and perform other water-intensive tasks without the need for additional water from the water district or well.

LEED and GPD Certification

If you’re really committed to making your business practices more green, consider pursuing a LEED or GPD certification. Both of these certifications focus on water conservation, component recycling, and other green plumbing practices, and in the course of qualifying for them, your business as a whole will become more green. Earning one or both of these certifications can help you to attract new customers who are looking for green plumbers, as well.
Do you currently use any environmentally friendly practices on the job? Are you considering implementing some?

Name:  pz.png
Views: 39
Size:  2.7 KB
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.

Sage advice, I tell every customer about it and only charge them 95$/hr to do so. Worth every penny.

chonkie and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Lot's of issues with all those green ideas.

Tankless :
You need to go back to school, pass the gas contractor licence on top of your plumbing , more licence fees, more fees, more insurance fees, bigger truck, more fuel for the truck, then you burn fossil fuels to operate the tankless, etc. Costs more to retrofit. While electricity for us is renewable and not as polluting. Not so green after all....

Recycling :
Old abs pipes full of crap aren't recycled, pex either. Only copper and brass are recycled so I can buy a pizza at the end of the year.

Going digital
Not so good in my book with all the hackers who'll delete your files or ask a ransom? When the government comes to audit you you can't say sorry I've been hacked all my files are gone. Good luck with the fines you'll get and accusations of fraud.

Solar :
Solar heat or solar electricity is a joke, You'll never recoup the costs compared to hydroelectricity and those panels break down. Anyway in my area going solar is a scam, fool's gold.

Gray-water
People won't pay more for a system to recycle that water and if you think of it with so many people taking pills and meds that they'll end up in the soil and leeching back to our drinking water supply and killing the fish. Cities has a huge problem with all the meds in the water going to the rivers.

Going Leed is a money cash grab for those who designed it. And you are going to get only one granola client after you lost all your money.
Debo22 and skoronesa like this.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
CaptainBob (08-11-2019), MASTRPLUMB (08-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #4
The captain of plumbing

View CaptainBob's Photo Album My Photos

Couldn't have said it better myself, Tango. I think much of this "going green" is a scam, it takes lots of green to go green
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
CaptainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

this whole green movement is bull$hit created by some rich people selling new crap that doesnt work, they have everyone stupid enough to believe the world is gona end unless you spend lots of money on their new technology and gimmicks...no thanxs..
out of the whole ist, tankless water heaters are about the only thing I install as they do produce unlimited hot water and do save on natural gas as opposed to a storage water heater..the rest on the list are just money scams to make someone that sells the crap rich...
CaptainBob, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
The captain of plumbing

View CaptainBob's Photo Album My Photos

Again, couldn't said it myself better...
Big evidence for me that going green is about green money is Al Gore...
After the end of the Clinton presidency and Gore's failed run for president, he was only worth a couple million dollars... Now years later dealing with all this "green" stuff and making money off of his government connections he is now worth hundreds of millions
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
CaptainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBob View Post
Again, couldn't said it myself better...
Big evidence for me that going green is about green money is Al Gore...
After the end of the Clinton presidency and Gore's failed run for president, he was only worth a couple million dollars... Now years later dealing with all this "green" stuff and making money off of his government connections he is now worth hundreds of millions
and heres the proof...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NrLMZkCH3SfSOH
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Sage advice, I tell every customer about it and only charge them 95$/hr to do so. Worth every penny.

While this is good, over time the calcium in urine will build up in the lower jet of the toilet, eventually plugging it. This will cause poor flush, then it must be cleaned, for $200-$250..
Tango likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
While this is good, over time the calcium in urine will build up in the lower jet of the toilet, eventually plugging it. This will cause poor flush, then it must be cleaned, for $200-$250..

It was a joke.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

if you really want to go green in that area, crap and pis in a 5 gallon bucket and then out to the garden with it as fertilizer....seems all the countries that sell use food fertilize this way..china, mexico( ok all of south america) california...whats a little ecoli gona do for you...