Do You Have What It Takes to Specialize in Fire Suppression System Installs? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MACPLUMB777

Old 07-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default Do You Have What It Takes to Specialize in Fire Suppression System Installs?

Sprinklers and other fire suppression systems share a lot in common with traditional plumbing. Some systems even use the same parts that you would install for any standard plumbing installation. In some areas, plumbers even perform fire suppression installations along with their other duties. If you think this sounds interesting, though, keep in mind that depending on where you live you might have some red tape to get through first.

The issue is that different states and jurisdictions have their own rules concerning who is allowed to install fire suppression systems. If you want to shift your focus and specialize in fire suppression systems, be prepared to do a little homework to find out what’s required in your locality.

Requisite Training

While there are similarities between traditional plumbing and a lot of fire suppression systems, there are obviously some differences as well. Depending on the system being installed and the suppressant it uses, you may be dealing with a low-pressure system, a high-pressure system or other system designs. There are even different variants of systems that use low pressure. You may also have to deal with not only water systems but also dry chemical suppressants, CO2 systems or other types of fire suppressants that are rated for different fire types.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find installation courses or other instruction where you can learn at least the basics in a relatively short period of time. On the flip side, you may need to find a licensed installer in your area and work out an apprenticeship or other on-the-job training to meet licensing requirements in your state.

Licensing Required

The licensing required to install fire suppression systems is set at the state or local level. While some states allow plumbers to work on fire systems without requiring significant additional licensing, many jurisdictions require you to be specifically licensed as a fire suppression system contractor to install or maintain these systems. As with most things, the specific requirements of this licensing and the codes you have to follow will differ from state to state.

When investigating the requirements of licensing in your state, be sure to find out about any specific training requirements that might be part of the license application. That way you won’t be taken by surprise if you take a training course and later find out that your state requires an apprenticeship or other on-the-job work study.

Working as an Installer

Once you’ve mastered the skills required to install fire suppression systems where you live and have navigated the twists and turns of licensing, it’s time to start actually working as an installer. If you focus on fire suppression systems as your primary specialty, then you’ll likely work not only on installations but also maintenance and inspections, as well. If you choose to use it as an additional service to your existing business, then it will be up to you to determine the balance you strike between plumbing work and suppression systems.

If you do decide to do both, however, make sure that your locality doesn’t have restrictions on the roles you can fill on specific jobs. While there is a definite value for general contractors if they hire a single sub to do both plumbing and suppression system installations, it’s always a good idea to make sure that local codes and licensing requirements won’t cause problems if you try to do both.

Have you ever looked into your state’s requirements for fire suppression system installers? If so, what do the requirements look like where you live?

Name:  pz.png
Views: 76
Size:  2.7 KB
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Yes.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

Been a Licensed Plumbing and Fire Sprinkler Contractor since Jan 1989
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACPLUMB777 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

nope, not for me... never cared for it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
The captain of plumbing

View CaptainBob's Photo Album My Photos

About 15 years ago or so I took the Uponor training for their residential system. I've never used it and never had an opportunity to. It's integrated into the water piping in the house.
CaptainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

yes and no then yes.....I had my commercial fire sprinkler license for 20 plus years and didnt do much sprinkler work then the regulations changed that you needed an engineer to draw plans to even move 1 sprinkler head and the cost of the license kept going up so I dropped it...then I did a raised house residential fire sprinkler system and no special license needed...