Biggest Challenges Facing The Plumbing Trade? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default Biggest Challenges Facing The Plumbing Trade?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges facing the trade, both now and in the future. What solutions are there for overcoming these challenges?

What challenges are YOU dealing with now?
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Biggest Challenges Facing The Plumbing Trade?

DIY forums, how to YouTube videos, and even the forums for "professionals" only are providing homeowners with information that used to take years of apprenticeship to learn.

There isn't a solution to this problem but we as plumbers can be conscious of the information we share. Understanding that PZ can and will be searched by homeowners looking for free information.

We are losing markup potential for products like Water Heaters. When a half decent company like Rheem sells to the public, plumbers are left with the tab. DIY installs will always have more product returns, customer service time, and online complaints. Even professional brands are usually available online, sometimes for less than at the local supply house. As plumbing contractors we have the choice to buy from manufactures that still have respect for what we do. Refuse to install a tank that was purchased online. I also refuse to service a Whirlpool or Rheem. Hell the box store installers won't even service them.

Home Advisor is another threat to the plumbing industry, especially for shops that focus on residential service. Amazon, Angies List, and dozens of other platforms are trying to make plumbing a commodity. Home Advisor might bring your business short term success but you are feeding a beast that you may not be able to compete with years down the road. I will never be a customer to any of these pimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plumberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to plumberkc For This Useful Post:
brass plumbing (04-30-2016), FRMA2Z (05-10-2018), Gargalaxy (04-25-2016), gear junkie (04-25-2016), Mr-Green (04-26-2016), newyorkcity (04-26-2016), plumber joe (01-20-2018), Plumbergeek (05-23-2016), Rexticle (04-27-2016), Tommy plumber (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos

This is the kind of **** that happens when anybody is allowed to purchase a water heater.

plumberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to plumberkc For This Useful Post:
Gargalaxy (04-25-2016), gear junkie (04-25-2016), MACPLUMB777 (10-15-2017), Mr-Green (04-26-2016), newyorkcity (04-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberkc View Post
DIY forums, how to YouTube videos, and even the forums for "professionals" only are providing homeowners with information that used to take years of apprenticeship to learn.

There isn't a solution to this problem but we as plumbers can be conscious of the information we share. Understanding that PZ can and will be searched by homeowners looking for free information.

We are losing markup potential for products like Water Heaters. When a half decent company like Rheem sells to the public, plumbers are left with the tab. DIY installs will always have more product returns, customer service time, and online complaints. Even professional brands are usually available online, sometimes for less than at the local supply house. As plumbing contractors we have the choice to buy from manufactures that still have respect for what we do. Refuse to install a tank that was purchased online. I also refuse to service a Whirlpool or Rheem. Hell the box store installers won't even service them.

Home Advisor is another threat to the plumbing industry, especially for shops that focus on residential service. Amazon, Angies List, and dozens of other platforms are trying to make plumbing a commodity. Home Advisor might bring your business short term success but you are feeding a beast that you may not be able to compete with years down the road. I will never be a customer to any of these pimps.

THIS!!!!!! Could not have said better!
Gargalaxy (04-25-2016), Mr-Green (04-28-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbingZone View Post

What do you feel are the biggest challenges facing the trade, both now and in the future. What solutions are there for overcoming these challenges?

What challenges are YOU dealing with now?
Wages, benefits, work conditions.

Seattle, NY, and California are heading toward $15.00 minimum wage. Pretty soon the rest of the nation will follow. The average pay for a plumber is $20.00 with little or no benefits, so in a few years, plumbers will be making a bit over minimum wage.

I'm in favor of doing away with ticket and commission workers in the trades. Have everyone use a time clock to get paid from check in to check out. Have benefit packages just like normal businesses.

Getting apprentices for this trade was never easy. I live in a state where working for a pot grow or McDonald's pays better with easier work and a better future. All of us are running ads for helpers. My last one was offering $15.00 and I got no interest.
brass plumbing (04-30-2016), PlumbingZone (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
I Married Up

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

Lack of business education. Not college courses necessarily (not that they are bad), but the economics of business in the real world. This applies as much to employees as to business operators.
The Following User Says Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
Cricket (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #7

View wyrickmech's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbgbiz
Lack of business education. Not college courses necessarily (not that they are bad), but the economics of business in the real world. This applies as much to employees as to business operators.
business education is very important. Looking at the business from the employe side looks simple but when you see it from the other side it is a little different and a lot more involved than you could imagine.
wyrickmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyrickmech For This Useful Post:
Mr-Green (04-28-2016), plumber joe (01-20-2018)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrickmech View Post
business education is very important. Looking at the business from the employe side looks simple but when you see it from the other side it is a little different and a lot more involved than you could imagine.

That statement above is why I wrote the paper "FULL CIRCLE MATHEMATICS" and the seminar! Both can be seen on my alternate web site below!

Both require a file download but they are safe. The seminar sample you have to open as read only
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

View SHEPLMBR70's Photo Album My Photos

The internet. Plain and simple.
SHEPLMBR70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SHEPLMBR70 For This Useful Post:
Mr-Green (04-27-2016), Nathan901 (04-27-2016), plungerboy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
PHD in 60105P

View Mr-Green's Photo Album My Photos

Challenges I face? Constant layoffs, ****ty attitudes, nepotism, unable to gain experience/ training in different areas of the trade, work conditions, Mr. DIY, plumbing licensing and its enforcement....
Mr-Green is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr-Green For This Useful Post:
brass plumbing (04-30-2016), SHEPLMBR70 (04-28-2016)