5 Things Clogging Up the Works - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree42Likes

Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default 5 Things Clogging Up the Works

There comes a time in every plumber’s life when a visit to a home or business turns into a story that will last the rest of their career. Sometimes, it’s not so much because of the nature of the work that’s being done, but the absolutely strange things that caused the call to begin with.

You may be familiar with the urban legend that goes like this: so and so’s grandfather owned a motel and was snaking a line, only to snag a shower curtain in a different unit and pull it all the way through the plumbing back through the toilet. Maybe it happened, it’s a lot more likely that it didn’t… but that doesn’t mean that some weird things haven’t come out of drains.

Drain Cleaning 303: Beyond Roots and Shoots

Hey, anybody can clean out a drain that’s clogged with a few nasty roots, but it takes a real pro to dig out the truly unusual without cracking up or asking some really awkward questions just to find out the answers. Anything that can fit into a drain might show up there one day, but there are a few things that surprise even the pros from time to time.
1. Dentures. It’s not that dentures never get flushed on accident (or maybe on purpose if they’re not fitting well!), it’s just that you don’t see them all that often. When you go fishing for what you think is a paper clog and find out it’s actually plastic and it has teeth, well, that’s a tale to tell back at the shop.

2. Toothbrushes. The toilet is a terrible place to drop anything, but it happens, and far more often for things that regularly live in the bathroom, like toothbrushes and small hairbrushes. That goes doubly when kids are around the house. Maybe it’s the thrill of seeing something disappear down that swirling hole, maybe it’s discovering the unknown one bristle at a time, but when you drag one back out, try not to ask the homeowner if they intend to use it again. Try.

3. Toys. Oh, to be young and also have small, flushable things in easy reach! Toys are alarmingly common things to find in the drain and that goes for pretty much any drain in the house. Small hard plastic GI Joes are usually pretty easy to deal with (and the plumbing profession thanks you for your service, soldiers), but softer toys like foam animals that expand when they get wet break hearts every day. Next time, kids, just toss the little capsule in there and don’t flush. You’ll get a lot more magic for your buck.

4. Jewelry. To be fair, it’s easy to drop jewelry in a drain. After all, some of it is pretty small. But sometimes it’s not little and sometimes it’s not just one item. If the traps in a client house or business are literally gold mines, it might pay to offer them a discount so you can come back and mine more later. Kidding, kidding. Still, it’s a good opportunity to suggest some kind of screens for sink drains to avoid future problems.

5. Leftovers from construction. New houses aren’t usually places that have much in the way of a history, but once in awhile a rag that’s been stuffed into a drain during construction gets forgotten and plumbing fixtures are placed on top of them. The funny thing is how long it can take for anybody to notice. It may be months or even more than a year since the house was occupied before anybody calls! What in the world are they doing in the meantime?
What was the weirdest thing you found in a drain? Did you get to keep it? Tell us in the comments!

Name:  pz.png
Views: 58
Size:  2.7 KB
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

what the fuk jackalope plumbing is that a picture of?? home depot special china crap??who ever writes these articles should at least look at code books so you dont keep proving you have no clue about plumbing....
chonkie, Debo22, skoronesa and 2 others like this.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
what the fuk jackalope plumbing is that a picture of?? home depot special china crap??who ever writes these articles should at least look at code books so you dont keep proving you have no clue about plumbing....
It appears to be the plumbing in a third world country
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Plumbing since 1974

View breplum's Photo Album My Photos

Dear "Administrator",
Why da hell do we have crap like that article?
It is third world, totally non IPC nor UPC offensive (thanks ShtRnsdownhill) jakalope abomination.
Fergodsakes, who pushes this?

925 283-3408
breplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

that pic is what i send to my buddies letting them know that they are starting to figure out how to do plumbing.
ShtRnsdownhill and Tango like this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #6

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

That is a picture of the most garbage plumbing I have ever seen installed as completely new.

I saved a copy in case they take down the picture from embarrassment. But I know they won't because it isn't costing them ad revenue.

Attached Images

chonkie, ShtRnsdownhill and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #7

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

which member of this forum is gonna take credit for submitting a picture of their work to to mods to make this possible?
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
Plumbing since 1974

View breplum's Photo Album My Photos

Could those be the hands of someone from Austrailia or NZ?
Perplexing....

925 283-3408
breplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #9

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Bottle traps and Slinky drains oh my... Looks like some of the stuff IKEA sells....
chonkie, ShtRnsdownhill and Tango like this.
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

if you look at the daily volume of people viewing this sight I bet the administration wants non plumbers to post to bring up the viewing volume....hey its like bringing the chickens to the fox....
skoronesa, Tango and Venomthirst like this.