10 Tips for Choosing a Work Vehicle for Plumbers - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GAN
  • 1 Post By MACPLUMB777
  • 1 Post By Fatpat

Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default 10 Tips for Choosing a Work Vehicle for Plumbers

For many plumbing contractors, their vehicle is both their office and their storage area, so a dependable vehicle is vital to transport valuable tools, equipment, and materials to and from job sites. If you brand your vehicle, it also acts as a rolling billboard for your company and services.

Tips for Choosing a Work Vehicle

Vans, pickups and service trucks are all work vehicles favored by plumbers, but which one is right for you? One of the most important factors to consider when looking for a new work vehicle is that it provides suitable storage and organization options so you can easily locate and access whatever items you need when you need them.

When searching for a used or new work vehicle, consider the following points:
1. Will the vehicle be used solely for business or will it pull double duty as your personal or family vehicle? Depending on where you live, insurance rates and business-related taxes may be affected by either one of these scenarios.

2. Fuel costs fluctuate. Take into consideration that diesel and hybrid options may help keep operating costs manageable in the future, although the upfront cost will undoubtedly be higher than a traditional, gas-fueled vehicle.

3. New or used vehicle? If the vehicle will be used specifically as a work truck, is it really that important to drop possibly thousands of extra dollars on a big, shiny beast bristling with all the bells and whistles? A solid, well-maintained, used vehicle will do as good a job without breaking your planned budget.

4. You will have to consider vehicles that are the right size for your professional purposes – especially if you commonly carry lengths of pipe with you. The majority of plumbing contractors in large metropolitan areas have to maneuver around busy business districts, through tight alleys and park under low-hanging signs or awnings. However, construction sites and residential neighborhoods usually offer adequate parking for larger trucks

5. Look for a vehicle that can be easily upfitted to handle your future needs. No matter if you prefer a pickup, a cargo van or a mid- or small-size service truck, look at vehicles already fitted with a tow package or roof rack to hold extra tools and materials.

6. Keep your marketing efforts in mind when choosing a vehicle. Rolling billboards are highly effective advertising tools, so consider how you can add your company name, logo and contact information for your vehicle.

7. Give yourself enough time to find the right vehicle. Staying within your budget doesn’t mean you need to settle for the first reasonably-priced vehicle you see.

8. Be sure to select a vehicle large enough to transport all the tools and equipment you use regularly, as well as yourself and possibly one or more crew members for larger jobs.

9. Factor in long-term maintenance and operating costs and any extra upfitting expenses when looking at basic, bare-bones work trucks or vans. For new vehicles, most manufacturers offer a range of commercial package options.

10. Lease or Purchase? If you prefer to buy a vehicle, hunting for the right loan is as important as hunting for the right truck. For vehicles used strictly for business purposes, the monthly payments are tax-deductible – a leasing plus.
Choosing the Right Work Vehicle for Your Plumbing Business

Purchasing or leasing a new or new-to-you work vehicle doesn’t have to be a stressful decision, as long as you take your time, do some research and consider all your options before committing to a new or used rig for your plumbing business.

Name:  pz.png
Views: 601
Size:  2.7 KB
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlumbingZone For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (11-08-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Never did care for a truck. To hard to get into when a camper shell is on. Box type vans all the way, so you can stand up.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer a Step-van you can walk around in them and they are easier to
get in & out of,
GAN likes this.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACPLUMB777 View Post
get in & out of,
I don't believe you. A van that a 6'6" tall Scandinavian man can comfortably walk upright in. Hmm I just don't believe that it exists.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACPLUMB777 View Post
get in & out of,
I don't believe you. A van that a 6'6" tall Scandinavian man can comfortably walk upright in. Hmm I just don't believe that it exists.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Damn so close
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #6

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

And the pic
Attached Thumbnails
10 Tips for Choosing a Work Vehicle for Plumbers-69c89fb6-300a-4ffd-adeb-ef066d5ebb4e_1510703992639.png  

Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote