Wall hung toilets and waterless urinals - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree13Likes

Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

View Raleigh Plumbin's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wall hung toilets and waterless urinals

We have a customer that is trying to get LEED certification on their building. They are considering using dual flush wall mount toilets with Gerberit in-wall tank/carrier (44 total) and Waterless, Inc urinals (12 total). We have installed both in residential homes, but they are interested in getting feedback from anyone that has used them in commercial applications. Not so much on the installation aspects, more on the maintenance side.
If anyone can share their experience it would be greatly appreciated.
Raleigh Plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

View callmemaster's Photo Album My Photos

LEED certification for water closets is 1.3 gpf or dual flush. My advice is to use (44 total) LEED compliant run-of-the-mill (wall-hung, flushometer) toilets with all components readily accessible for repair. Burying this (Gerberit) pile of plastic junk in the wall is something a good plumber would never advise. Common sense says this has to many inaccessible bits and pieces.. Grab ur crotch when asked and tell-em "i got ur gerberit right here" that should explain how u feel...
mtfallsmikey and skoronesa like this.
callmemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

LEED certification for water closets is 1.3 gpf or dual flush. My advice is to use (44 total) LEED compliant run-of-the-mill (wall-hung, flushometer) toilets with all components readily accessible for repair. Burying this (Gerberit) pile of plastic junk in the wall is something a good plumber would never advise. Common sense says this has to many inaccessible bits and pieces.. Grab ur crotch when asked and tell-em "i got ur gerberit right here" that should explain how u feel...https://www.usgbc.org/?CategoryID=19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #4

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

Geberit may be plastic junk, but it's widely used commercially in Europe, even in airports.
I have seen a few of them that look pretty trashed, but that is on units that appeared to be poorly maintained. As for accessibility, the only parts that would need replacing can be pulled out of the tank from the plate access. Even the shut off valve can be replaced, though it would be a bit of a pita, not unlike replacing a valve on a flushometer.
If they are insistent, I would go with them. They will at least last thru your warranty.
Waterless urinals, on the other hand, stink (literally).
GAN and Gargalaxy like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

Default junk is junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Geberit may be plastic junk, but it's widely used commercially in Europe, even in airports.
I have seen a few of them that look pretty trashed, but that is on units that appeared to be poorly maintained. As for accessibility, the only parts that would need replacing can be pulled out of the tank from the plate access. Even the shut off valve can be replaced, though it would be a bit of a pita, not unlike replacing a valve on a flushometer.
If they are insistent, I would go with them. They will at least last thru your warranty.
Waterless urinals, on the other hand, stink (literally).
junk is junk no matter where its used. i dont follow that silly line of logic. i take my trade a lot more serious than u. just sayin
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaster View Post
junk is junk no matter where its used. i dont follow that silly line of logic. i take my trade a lot more serious than u. just sayin
Master
You may be right, I prefer brass myself, though I do have my doubts about the strength of the lead free version. Unfortunately, the marketplace doesn't give a damn about logic. Mostly, it worries about what is the cheapest thing that will work. In this case, it was to meet a LEED standard.
As for the invasion of junk in the plumbing marketplace, that train has left the station quite a while ago.
BTW:The working parts of your average flushometer are 98% plastic or rubber.
By your definition, it must be junk.
GAN, chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

View CT-18's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Master
You may be right, I prefer brass myself, though I do have my doubts about the strength of the lead free version. Unfortunately, the marketplace doesn't give a damn about logic. Mostly, it worries about what is the cheapest thing that will work. In this case, it was to meet a LEED standard.
As for the invasion of junk in the plumbing marketplace, that train has left the station quite a while ago.
I agree. The driving force anymore is price, while quality has taken a back seat.
CT-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Cost is king anymore.

Waterless urinals, real bad rep once the smell gets around. To much keeping the traps filled. OK for shop type applications, business uses office puppies don't like the smell.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Master
flushometers are accessible, leed toilets are available through all manufacturers. gerberit is junk 2.0

maybe i`m to smart for this room.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaster View Post

maybe i`m to smart for this room.
*too

No intro=no opinion
GAN, Gargalaxy, chonkie and 1 others like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote