Tricks of the trade - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree16Likes

Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

View Mykeeb33's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tricks of the trade

If you're a top notch plumber, you should always be looking for ways to improve your installations. How can I save the company money without compromising my work? This is one tip I came up with while working on a three story 600 man Army barracks. All the piping fed down from the attic. (fifty sets of drops for 300 lavs.) Each floor had back to back lavs to pipe. So any thing that could be done more efficiently was gong to be multiplied by 300. You can see by the picture that piping the water on one side of the waste pipe saves at least 10 small fittings and multiple little pieces of copper pipe from the more traditional cold on the right, hot on the left 8" spread configuration. Hot water rises, so the plumbers always put the hot on top.
Another money/time saving tip was writing an RFI getting the cabinet manufacturer to build them without a back panel. All the stops could be installed before the cabinets were set. It was so much easier for the plumbers to put these 600 stops on without having to lay on their backs.
Disclaimer: I know many of you older guys will say "Duh", but I want some of the younger plumbers to put these things in the back of their heads and realize that not everything has to be done the same old way. Always be thinking, looking for a better way.
Please post some of your own time saving tips. We're never too old to learn something new!
Attached Thumbnails
Tricks of the trade-fy07-009.jpg  

Tricks of the trade-fy07-049.jpg  

Mykeeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mykeeb33 For This Useful Post:
chonkie (04-15-2015), gear junkie (03-26-2015), sparky (04-19-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

View wyrickmech's Photo Album My Photos

You know I'm not so sure that this isn't a halfway good idea. The trim out looks good and it's in a cabinet. Why not as long as it is neat. A company I used to work at always bought 20 in supply's and we would bend and cut off a portion of the leight. I decided to change company Ruffin height to accommodate 12 inch supply's we saved 950 dollars on one job just off of that change. Keep up the good work. It's always a good thing to think out of the box.
Mykeeb33 likes this.
wyrickmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wyrickmech For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

That would not fly with my last boss. He was a stickler who did new construction in Jackson Hole Wyoming installing $3500 lav faucets and running 2" Rehau PEX. It helped me big time working for him. You know the PITA customers that complain about the smallest thing? Well now every tub waste and overflow installed, the waste basket is now lined up, overflow screws are straight up and down or level if it's a flat head, phillips is a cross or an X.

Makes sense to me though, and I'd always check with the customer first. Some will be just fine with it and don't care, some can be hard about it. At least that is what I see out here.

Your picture makes me wish ABS was used out here more often BTW. Unless it's a crappy home owner job or crappy handy man work you never see it with the exception of trailers, which I hate.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

View Mykeeb33's Photo Album My Photos

ABS was another RFI. Also SS braided supplies and 1-1/2" PVC traps. I never use 1-1/4" traps. Corp of Engineers were very accommodating on this project.
Mykeeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #5

View jc-htownplumber's Photo Album My Photos

What i do is on all angle stops is always install at rough in. Remove the handles and nut and ferrel and tape them off to cover them. I also started roughing in water stub out for toilet at 8". This way a 12" supply works on both standard and comfort heigh toilets
jc-htownplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jc-htownplumber For This Useful Post:
mccmech (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

View Flyout95's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-htownplumber View Post
What i do is on all angle stops is always install at rough in. Remove the handles and nut and ferrel and tape them off to cover them. I also started roughing in water stub out for toilet at 8". This way a 12" supply works on both standard and comfort heigh toilets
You just order split ring escustions?
Flyout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyout95 For This Useful Post:
jc-htownplumber (03-25-2015), sparky (04-19-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Btw, Mykeeb33, no stud guards? Kinda hard to tell if their needed with the angle of the picture.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

View Michaelcookplum's Photo Album My Photos

Great ideas! Seems like you are saving some money, did you factor in approx 8$ for 2 extra hold-rites? A couple more 90's and scrap pipe might not add up to as much saving as you think. But maybe so, just a thought. Also,just out of curiosity, what is the wye for below the 2" cross for?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Btw, Mykeeb33, no stud guards? Kinda hard to tell if their needed with the angle of the picture.

Looks like the pipes penetrate through the center of stud, standard length Sheetrock screw would never touch it.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelcookplum View Post
Great ideas! Seems like you are saving some money, did you factor in approx 8$ for 2 extra hold-rites? A couple more 90's and scrap pipe might not add up to as much saving as you think. But maybe so, just a thought. Also,just out of curiosity, what is the wye for below the 2" cross for?

Wye would be for fixtures above, duh
Mykeeb33 likes this.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
Mykeeb33 (04-25-2019)