Taking over a larger project. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #1

View 89plumbum's Photo Album My Photos
Default Taking over a larger project.

One of our foremans put in a 1 week notice and they have asked me to take over for him.

What I know about this job in short:
Were behind
17 story office bldg.
16 floors are typical
1 floor has fitness center and scattered bathrooms
Top floor- roof drains/ the usual
Basement and 1 or 2 floors are already roughed in
Were behind

Meeting with PM and BIM guy at the site today as I'm scheduled to start next Tuesday.

*My question for you seasoned vets is basically- how would you attack a project like this? What are the first things you would look for and do, to get this job in your head?

I've got full support from the office and the other journeymans staying on the job.

Any advice, wisdom or concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
89plumbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

start by finding out how far behind and what needs to get caught up so not to hold up other trades, ask your workers if there are any issues that has held back work, then organize materials and employees to keep a smooth pace, have inspections done on a timely manor..keep in close contact with the project manager and have him tell you when any issues or changes come up..no easy task at hand, but when you pull it off and get it done...very satisfying to yourself...and will make you more valuable to the company..good luck..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (06-30-2016), Plumbus (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

View wyrickmech's Photo Album My Photos

One don't look at it like one job. Separate it in your mind into little tasks. Second stage the material ahead of the men so they don't want for anything. Third stage crews in order of work needing to be done. Once you have waist crew finish a area water crew follows insulators follow the pressure test. Once you get that you will start knocking out sections and floors in a fast pace. Don't always bow to the project manger they don't always know what is best.
wyrickmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wyrickmech For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (06-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

View luv2plum's Photo Album My Photos

I was in a similar position first time I ran a Job, and a couple times since. First time was a twin pad hockey arena. The fact that you are only two floors up so far probably works in your favor. I would check the prints against what has been built to see where there have been any deviations and why. Hopefully you have good as-builts for the underground too. How fun!
luv2plum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luv2plum For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

Expect to come In early and leave late.
You are behind and it needs to be made up somewhere.

It's a good idea to get an apprentice going as your material boy(staging, running material up the floors and delivers) this is all he does and should know the job. After rough you keep him around for finish and start up.

A crew can loose a lot of time sending there apprentices running around a job of that size searching for material.

The best Forman I had, would stage the material late in the afternoon for the next day and have plans ready for us in the morning. We would go to a floor and everything we would need down to the hardware or hanger.

You will have to jump on the tools also, if the job is truly behind. Being a working foreman is the only way to make up that lost time. Guaranteed the job was bid low on hours, they always are.

You will have to be omniscient superman.

Have fun and make some money
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatpat For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (06-30-2016), Plumbus (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Get this. Unbeknownst to me, another seasoned foreman was gunning for the job and gets the uppers to let him have it.

I made a snarky comment to my supervisor while he was in the presence of our employer. He sent me an email explaining the situation and that I was to remain at my current project but appreciated my willingness.

Oh well, maybe next time...

I can't believe the quick responses and solid advise you guys gave! I appreciate it just the same.

Stan
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

lol- I was wondering why the old foreman left. I was thinking maybe something else is going on and you should talk to him.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89plumbum View Post
Get this. Unbeknownst to me, another seasoned foreman was gunning for the job and gets the uppers to let him have it.

I made a snarky comment to my supervisor while he was in the presence of our employer. He sent me an email explaining the situation and that I was to remain at my current project but appreciated my willingness.

Oh well, maybe next time...

I can't believe the quick responses and solid advise you guys gave! I appreciate it just the same.

Stan
that could be a blessing in disguise...I would keep my eyes open and see whats going on( any issues that stick out) and see why the last foreman left...
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
lol- I was wondering why the old foreman left. I was thinking maybe something else is going on and you should talk to him.
That's a possibility, but the company I work for is pretty clear on what's expected of you. Especially as a foreman. He went for an office job of some sort.

We're paid well and are given good bonuses several times a year.

The main reason I wanted it was to get out of night work for a while. Like Srdh said though, probably a blessing in disguise.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

If I were you, I'd copy these responses, email them to myself and file them under foreman instructions. Then, when you run into other gems of knowledge pertaining to field management, file them as well. Contractor magazine has a columnist who has written quite extensively on project management. The link below may require you to register to access.
http://contractormag.com/author/h-kent-craig
Plumbus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
gear junkie (07-01-2016)