Rooftop or indoor furnace?? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
frogger

View andy.t's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rooftop or indoor furnace??

Hey guys, ive been doing service on some light commercial air handlers and rooftops in our city and im running into a little debate of what to either new install or replace units. Im thinking rooftop all the way for indoor air quality with the make up air. Theres pros and cons for both but always good to hear some feedback, experiences and input!
andy.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

View johnh's Photo Album My Photos

not knowing your heat loss but I would prefer a 90 percent efficient furnace installed indoors. It's more efficient, easier to maintain. A rooftop unit always goes down on the coldest day of the year. The standby heat loss on a indoor unit is considerbly less than a outdoor unit. my thoughts
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #3

View PlungerJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Your in Canada eh.

I would go indoor. Servicing a roof-top furnace on a cold Canadian day is not my idea of a good time.
PlungerJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
frogger

ya eh! ha ... thats where the conversation is leading in our shop. nothing like a faulty code in -35..(...or i should say -31f) Other than the freezing serviceman on the roof though?.. i am a fan of a roof top...no mechanical room, air make up..?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #5

View CaberTosser's Photo Album My Photos

I always wonder why every rooftop HVAC unit I've ever seen is so poorly insulated. I'd love to see some video from a FLIR camera on a police helicopter in the winter, every rooftop unit would be as bright as the freaking sun. They're easier for access for sure, but a miserable task to do in -35C. One thing you're not noting is that the building owners have them up there for a reason: square footage. Why put mechanical equipment in leasable space? Every square foot taken by equipment is space they're not able to collect rent on; they could give a rats patootie about a service techs convenience.
CaberTosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
frogger

good point on the info red...and good thing most customers dont have choppers..
square footage is huge.. money money money...

on a side note..any suggestions on insulating duct when there is return and heat exposed to the extremes? ive heard of a spray foam barrier that does a seal on it...of course r values are only as good as the thickness...ive heard of a quote...big dollars wasnt worth it..would make or break a tender.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

View Atomic Bearcat's Photo Album My Photos
Default From Experience

If there's an RTU already in place, keep it. As others have said, why take up leasable space indoors? Not to mention the duct modifications/transitions to the new AHU. Most commercial space requires a certain amount of fresh air for the occupants. Packaged equipment is an extremely economical way to heat/cool a space as well as provide minimum OD air requirements.
Atomic Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #8

View rjbphd's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.t View Post
ya eh! ha ... thats where the conversation is leading in our shop. nothing like a faulty code in -35..(...or i should say -31f) Other than the freezing serviceman on the roof though?.. i am a fan of a roof top...no mechanical room, air make up..?
You can have all the RTU... I worked on them and don't enjoy carry and set up ladder and its freakin cold or freakin hot with wasp nests inside..
rjbphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #9

View Catlin987987's Photo Album My Photos

I doubt you will find a furnace that can flow the cfm most RTUs move.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

View Atomic Bearcat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlin987987 View Post
I doubt you will find a furnace that can flow the cfm most RTUs move.
Up to about 7.5 tons would be ok, but I think ESP on the duct system might be a bit out of range, depending on how much ductwork would need to be installed to reach the existing duct from the RTU.

Anything above 8 tons, and I think the expense of pulling the RTU off the roof, capping the curb watertight, installing the AHU, and adding a duct furnace or hot water coil, in addition to the ductwork would be excessive.