Odd sized compression nut - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

View Jim@MSP's Photo Album My Photos
Default Odd sized compression nut

I recently replaced a faucet in a medical facility. The SS flex lines that were suppling the faucet are not made anymore. The angle stops appeared to be 1/2” compression but when I tried a 1/2” compression x 1/2 Fip supply it would only screw on the valve a couple of turns and would not seal. I tried a 1/2 compression nut and the same thing happened. It seems like the the thread count is different or maybe metric? The valve is American Standard. Hard to replace the valve because there are no isolation valves on the riser. Anyone ever experience this or have suggestions?
Jim@MSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

sometimes supply lines and valves are very specific to a manufacture for a faucet, im surprised an american standard is like that, I have run into it with foreign made faucets ..can you post model numbers of faucet? try the supply house to see if they have a conversion fitting to spin on the valve threads to get you to a standard american size..
Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Probably an ikea metric brand. And no I'm not kidding.
mtfallsmikey and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

You'll have to find a shut-off valve and replace the stops.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
You'll have to find a shut-off valve and replace the stops.

He definitely should. Even if he can find lines that match why bother? So it can be a headache again later on when the lines are impossible to find? Just tell the owner you have no choice and must replace the stops.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #6

View Jim@MSP's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks to everyone for the advise. After doing a lot of searching, I found that the threads were American Standard but made specifically for this model angle stop which has been discontinued for many years. I will have to replace the stops but can not shut down the riser as it serves multiple occupied patient areas. I have a company scheduled to freeze the branch lines serving the labs and install ball valve above the ceiling
skoronesa likes this.
Jim@MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (04-16-2019), Tommy plumber (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advise. After doing a lot of searching, I found that the threads were American Standard but made specifically for this model angle stop which has been discontinued for many years. I will have to replace the stops but can not shut down the riser as it serves multiple occupied patient areas. I have a company scheduled to freeze the branch lines serving the labs and install ball valve above the ceiling

The quick overnite fix is to solder some 3/8" copper supply lines into the sockets. Heck, you could solder some extensions you cut real short and use a male by female compression stop.

Attached Thumbnails
Odd sized compression nut-chrome-brasscraft-shut-off-valves-ktcr11fx-c1-64_1000.jpg  

Odd sized compression nut-chrome-brasscraft-supply-lines-1-20kc-cf-64_1000.jpg  

mtfallsmikey and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote