Freeze copper line to stop flow - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

View Mykeeb33's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Freeze copper line to stop flow

I would like to freeze a 1/2" "M" copper water line with dry ice to add a 1/2" valve 6' down stream. Anyone ever do this? How much of the line do you apply the ice to? 2"? 4"? 6"? How long? cloth around line first? Obviously over freezing would cause the line to split. Not good! I know there can be no water movement while this operation is being attempted..... When I was an apprentice in 1980 I was with a journeyman that froze a 3" "L" line in a hospital and it worked! I know they have commercial kits designed for this, but I would like to try this if I get some good answers here. The reason I can't just shut the main valve is I'm on the bottom of 4 story 32 unit resort condo and it's a lot of hassle to schedule a shutdown.
Mykeeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #2

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

Freezing worker i have use freeze kits over the years many times. You have to be prepared for things to go wrong dry ice isn't a good way to go, you need a kit. One thing you need to do is stop all flow our you will get wet. You need lots of time usually figure on twenty minutes. Live with the hassle it will be better in the long run.
skoronesa and Tango like this.
ken53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Can you let it fly while you propress on a valve?

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykeeb33 View Post
I would like to freeze a 1/2" "M" copper water line with dry ice to add a 1/2" valve 6' down stream. Anyone ever do this? How much of the line do you apply the ice to? 2"? 4"? 6"? How long? cloth around line first? Obviously over freezing would cause the line to split. Not good! I know there can be no water movement while this operation is being attempted..... When I was an apprentice in 1980 I was with a journeyman that froze a 3" "L" line in a hospital and it worked! I know they have commercial kits designed for this, but I would like to try this if I get some good answers here. The reason I can't just shut the main valve is I'm on the bottom of 4 story 32 unit resort condo and it's a lot of hassle to schedule a shutdown.
Try it on a pipe in your backyard or garage before trying it on a job
chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

View Grimmeute's Photo Album My Photos

I have done this before with a kit and if there is flowing water, you will get wet LOL. Even if its just a very small flow. But if its a slow drip then be prepared to have a couple extra bottles in stand by, you will blow through them. I hated that machine before ProPress came around.
GAN likes this.
Grimmeute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykeeb33 View Post
If you can at leas slow it down, clean the line, have a full port ball valve ready, cut it and use a line plug, solder then pull it out.
Or pro-press and pull it out.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/water...soldering.html
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

We h;;ad one of those freeze kits and they dont work too well...
all water must be arrested and nothing flowing through the pipe.....

have you considered either a pro press or a shark bite ball valve......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #8

View justme's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.jomarvalve.com/products/add-a-valve.html
justme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

I like the add a valve and we have a freeze kit from general wire and spring(the snake makers) which does work well, but really you should just shut it down and do it the right way. If it's really that much of a hassle than they should shut down one day and add valves so you can shut off sections. Not having working valves is just stupid and frankly irresponsible. And if they refuse to correct the situation than F them, make them go through the hassle. But don't tuck your tail between your legs because someone else is being stupid.

Tango (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 AM   #10

View Mykeeb33's Photo Album My Photos

Hey all,
Thanks for the input. I have decided that the risk of something going wrong was too great. I'm scheduling the shutdown.
Thanks again!
Mykeeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote