Dental office vacuum pump - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill

Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

View Socalplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dental office vacuum pump

I am dealing with same thing , have strong odor only when pump is turned on in morning , I’m thinking underground vac lines are just Sitting festering overnight , I can’t see how direct connection would be legal due to cross contamination and like all other water fed fixtures it would need proper air gap even though this one sits below flood level , they say they run bio cleaner every night and the smell started when they added the amalgamator but it’s only a few months old they say , possible that adding it causes a restriction and old pump can’t remove all liquids ? Any suggestions ? Thanks for having me I hope to learn and share as well
Attached Thumbnails
Dental office vacuum pump-6afcd502-911b-459b-a235-80796e98e757_1595530431861.jpg  

Socalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalplumber View Post
I am dealing with same thing , have strong odor only when pump is turned on in morning , I’m thinking underground vac lines are just Sitting festering overnight , I can’t see how direct connection would be legal due to cross contamination and like all other water fed fixtures it would need proper air gap even though this one sits below flood level , they say they run bio cleaner every night and the smell started when they added the amalgamator but it’s only a few months old they say , possible that adding it causes a restriction and old pump can’t remove all liquids ? Any suggestions ? Thanks for having me I hope to learn and share as well

Sounds to me like it might not be properly piped. The few dental vacuums I have piped in had a separate exhaust vent run outside separate from the suction or drain. Granted these were more expensive units. I don't even see a specialized mercury trap on that guy.

I don't see how you could have an air gap to meet code and avoid the exhaust gasses being an issue if the waste isn't separated from the air by the unit. I would suggest putting an erv in that closet/room to bring in fresh air and exhaust the smell.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #3

View Socalplumber's Photo Album My Photos

The thing is the dentist says they didn’t notice the smell until the rep put in the amalgamator
Socalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #4

View ironandfire's Photo Album My Photos

I looked for the model on ADP's website , couldn't find it.
ironandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalplumber View Post
The thing is the dentist says they didnít notice the smell until the rep put in the amalgamator

It may just be the smell of waste sitting in the amalgamator and the smell was there before but nowhere near as bad. Looks to me like their air gap is the discharge above the floor drain which means you will get some smell.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironandfire View Post
I looked for the model on ADP's website , couldn't find it.

That's because it's an older discontinued model. I looked at the owners manual and there is nothing about smells because there is nothing to find.

It takes in mouth waste and spits it into a drain. If it's connected directly you won't have a smell. If the locality requires an air gap than you'll have smell and you'll need to address the issue through ventilating the space or isolating the unit to a different part of the building.

Either redo the whole setup properly or stick a chlorine block in the floor drain.

Attached Thumbnails
Dental office vacuum pump-screenshot-2020-07-24-21-37-49.png  

Old 07-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
That's because it's an older discontinued model. I looked at the owners manual and there is nothing about smells because there is nothing to find.

It takes in mouth waste and spits it into a drain. If it's connected directly you won't have a smell. If the locality requires an air gap than you'll have smell and you'll need to address the issue through ventilating the space or isolating the unit to a different part of the building.

Either redo the whole setup properly or stick a chlorine block in the floor drain.

yeah a little chlorine gas to kill off the office staff will cure the complaint of sewer smell for them....
skoronesa and Tango like this.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
yeah a little chlorine gas to kill off the office staff will cure the complaint of sewer smell for them....

I don't like people using the sticky chlorine blocks in toilet bowls because they can fall in and clog it, but they are handy in so many other places.

And yeah, kill their sense of smell and they won't complain of the smell