Dental office vacuum pump - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing


Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6

View Socalplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dental office vacuum pump

I am dealing with same thing , have strong odor only when pump is turned on in morning , I’m thinking underground vac lines are just Sitting festering overnight , I can’t see how direct connection would be legal due to cross contamination and like all other water fed fixtures it would need proper air gap even though this one sits below flood level , they say they run bio cleaner every night and the smell started when they added the amalgamator but it’s only a few months old they say , possible that adding it causes a restriction and old pump can’t remove all liquids ? Any suggestions ? Thanks for having me I hope to learn and share as well
Attached Thumbnails
Dental office vacuum pump-6afcd502-911b-459b-a235-80796e98e757_1595530431861.jpg  

Socalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,562

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalplumber View Post
I am dealing with same thing , have strong odor only when pump is turned on in morning , I’m thinking underground vac lines are just Sitting festering overnight , I can’t see how direct connection would be legal due to cross contamination and like all other water fed fixtures it would need proper air gap even though this one sits below flood level , they say they run bio cleaner every night and the smell started when they added the amalgamator but it’s only a few months old they say , possible that adding it causes a restriction and old pump can’t remove all liquids ? Any suggestions ? Thanks for having me I hope to learn and share as well

Sounds to me like it might not be properly piped. The few dental vacuums I have piped in had a separate exhaust vent run outside separate from the suction or drain. Granted these were more expensive units. I don't even see a specialized mercury trap on that guy.

I don't see how you could have an air gap to meet code and avoid the exhaust gasses being an issue if the waste isn't separated from the air by the unit. I would suggest putting an erv in that closet/room to bring in fresh air and exhaust the smell.


.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6

View Socalplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The thing is the dentist says they didn’t notice the smell until the rep put in the amalgamator
Socalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ironandfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 778

View ironandfire's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I looked for the model on ADP's website , couldn't find it.
ironandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,562

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalplumber View Post
The thing is the dentist says they didnít notice the smell until the rep put in the amalgamator

It may just be the smell of waste sitting in the amalgamator and the smell was there before but nowhere near as bad. Looks to me like their air gap is the discharge above the floor drain which means you will get some smell.




.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,562

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironandfire View Post
I looked for the model on ADP's website , couldn't find it.



That's because it's an older discontinued model. I looked at the owners manual and there is nothing about smells because there is nothing to find.


It takes in mouth waste and spits it into a drain. If it's connected directly you won't have a smell. If the locality requires an air gap than you'll have smell and you'll need to address the issue through ventilating the space or isolating the unit to a different part of the building.


Either redo the whole setup properly or stick a chlorine block in the floor drain.




.
Attached Thumbnails
Dental office vacuum pump-screenshot-2020-07-24-21-37-49.png  

__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,177

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
That's because it's an older discontinued model. I looked at the owners manual and there is nothing about smells because there is nothing to find.


It takes in mouth waste and spits it into a drain. If it's connected directly you won't have a smell. If the locality requires an air gap than you'll have smell and you'll need to address the issue through ventilating the space or isolating the unit to a different part of the building.


Either redo the whole setup properly or stick a chlorine block in the floor drain.




.
yeah a little chlorine gas to kill off the office staff will cure the complaint of sewer smell for them....
skoronesa and Tango like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,562

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
yeah a little chlorine gas to kill off the office staff will cure the complaint of sewer smell for them....

I don't like people using the sticky chlorine blocks in toilet bowls because they can fall in and clog it, but they are handy in so many other places.


And yeah, kill their sense of smell and they won't complain of the smell



.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com