Cool diagnosis - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
every tool is a hammer

View 422 plumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cool diagnosis

I got a call to a power plant that had hot water going to the toilets and urinals for the last 8 years. The showers were also a problem, some of the handles were frozen, or wouldn't shut off all the way. The mainteanace planner thought it might be the tempering valve, evebn though it been changed 3 times in the last 8 yeras, and check valves had been added everywhere there was a bald piece of pipe. He asked about demoing the shower valves and surface mounting all new shower valves. I look in the shower room and laugh. The faucets were chicago brand. I installed new ceramic 1/4 turn cartridges and solved the shower problem and the hot water crossover in one stroke. No need to demo pipe in a confined space and install new. I saved them thousands of dollars and fixed their problem the same day. I am in the process of changing cartridges on about 50 shower faucets right at a sister plant. here, the problem is cold crossing into the hot.

Jeff
422 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #2

View grandpa's Photo Album My Photos

Just curious about the crossover. I have not seen crossover involving 2 handle showers. Naturally, the Mixet, and to some extent the Moen, single handles are notorious. This usually also involves a recirc, which I assume you had at that plant.
grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
every tool is a hammer

View 422 plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Correct about the recirc. Chicago faucet cartridges are a prime culprit for crossover.
422 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

The first generation Price Pfister pressure balance tub cartridges were a nightmare for allowing the hot to back up into the cold, without the faucet being on. We had an entire high rise full of them and I got sent to figure out why the toilets had warm water in them, I went to an empty unit and spent two hours checking all the faucets, angle stops, found nothing, finally I turned off the T/S valve and flushed the toilet a few times, and it was finally refilling with cold water. After talking to the PP rep to confirm what the problem was, I spent the next three weeks changing 550 T/S cartridges.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #5

View Plumberman's Photo Album My Photos

Same thing happening to me at a hospital. Single handle shower faucet and 98 degrees coming out of the toliet. Gonna replace stems next week....
LJP #6656

#WOLVERINES
Plumberman is offline   Reply With Quote