Any preference on urinals? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By Tommy plumber
  • 1 Post By 89plumbum
  • 1 Post By Debo22

Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Any preference on urinals?

I don't have all that much experience with urinals. I've snaked out several and put a handful of them in when I did new construction. I'm guessing there are models that are less likely to have issues. I've just never had to decide on which to put in since they've already been selected and on site when I arrive.
I'm replacing one that sprays water from the top holes whenever it's flushed. This one has had several issues within the past year so they're ready to replace it.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
I don't have all that much experience with urinals. I've snaked out several and put a handful of them in when I did new construction. I'm guessing there are models that are less likely to have issues. I've just never had to decide on which to put in since they've already been selected and on site when I arrive.
I'm replacing one that sprays water from the top holes whenever it's flushed. This one has had several issues within the past year so they're ready to replace it.

My first choice would be a urinal with an exterior trap, but those are pretty much non-existent today. My second choice is a "jet-flush" style where there is a hole pointing into the trap to get the siphon going.

OpenSights and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Tubular trap is the best IMHO. Ferguson carries them.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer urinals that actually use water. I don't like the 'waterless' ones.

Reminds me when I was a kid in the 1970's we had a really old elementary school house.{ I think it was old back then}...the urinals were from the ground all the way up to the flushometer in the boys room. I really like those.

I've never installed one. An old-time plumber told me the traps were a pain to connect.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

I'll definitely be using one that uses water. I've replaced the handle and control stop within the last few months so I doubt they'd want that to go to waste.
I'm looking for one with a deep bowl (is that what they're called in urinals?) because they have another one like that that they like better.
With the urinal cakes they use the shallow urinal would get the floor wet as water bounced off the cake. I had to turn the water down to the bare minimum so it would stop. They don't have the same issue with the deep urinal and I don't think they want to change the type of urinal cakes they've already stocked up on.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #6

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

As tommy stated the floor mounted ones are a pain but they really are the best. I refuse to use a waterless urinal on principal. They stink!!! Both figuratively and literally. One place around here still has a trough style urinal WITHOUT dividers.

The first thing I do when I have to unclog a waterless urinal is install a hot spigot under the sink. If that is not possible I tell them they need to pour a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water down it once a week. The spigot is there so either they can rinse it out frequently or I have it for when I inevitably come back. I also inform them to use the trap sealant and the green gumballs or a pink mint.

I hate cleaning urinal drains, it is the second worst job in drain cleaning. I especially hate cleaning "waterless" urinal drains because they offend me as a plumber. I put "waterless" in quotes because they end using plenty of water to keep them flowing. I take my sweet time, they are going to pay me good to do a good job. A good enough job that their wallet remembers it. Then they will surely keep up with the maintenance or have us install a normal urinal that won't need drain cleaning every year, assuming people actually flush them which is also a very big issue.

Assuming they have a good hot water supply the easiest first step to cleaning a urinal drain is forcing down hot water for a couple mins. If you go straight to the snake cable you can knock larger pieces off the wall of the pipe and make a worse clog. Or you'll just catch your snake on a hard piece and get tangled up. Urinal drains are one area the mini-jetter can really shine. I only use the head which has one foward hole and three backward. I either connect a tee to the urinal flange or position a bucket under it. With the tee I can use the shop vac to suck up the returning flow.

I have a spare shop vac bottom. I think I am going to get a lid for my trash barrel and mate the shop vac bottom with it so I can put my shop vac onto my 35gallon barrel. That would really help when using the mini-jetter. I would have to cut most of the bottom off so it would maintain a relatively low profile for storing in the van. The other option is trying to modify the lid to accept the top of my shop vac directly. I know you guys like you bucket head vacs but they just don't have the same power.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
breplum (06-06-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #7

View 89plumbum's Photo Album My Photos

American Standard Washbrook is pretty good in cutting down on splash back and it’s got extended sides for the more timid (not me of course lol).

https://www.americanstandard-us.com/...l-urinal-18690
skoronesa likes this.
89plumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #8

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89plumbum View Post
American Standard Washbrook is pretty good in cutting down on splash back and it’s got extended sides for the more timid (not me of course lol).

https://www.americanstandard-us.com/...l-urinal-18690
Mostly what we put in aswell... hard as hell to snake but... just take em off snake both ways and down drain as.well...

Put in whatever fits back in with least amount of work if it had an external trap put one of those back in if it has integral trap put one of those back in...

I really hate all urinals equally and I believe it's really a matter of getting the engineers fixture units for building capacity..

Its sexist and there should be female urinals too then.. like a floor drain with a seat.. oh I guess that's been invented it's called a water closet... damn have to go back to drawing book
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #9

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post

Its sexist and there should be female urinals too then.. like a floor drain with a seat.. oh I guess that's been invented it's called a water closet... damn have to go back to drawing book
They’re already invented
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_urinal
Attached Thumbnails
Any preference on urinals?-79f11bf8-5566-4e4e-9329-13ad3098a0c7.jpg  

skoronesa likes this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote