Winterize House Pipes - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree44Likes

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Winterize House Pipes

Would you drain all the water lines with compressed air and call it good enough or would you drain the lines and circulate non toxic anti freeze in the hot and cold lines? It could be problematic with an empty water heater to fill the lines unless I install a bypass. Then I would need a brand new pony pump so not to contaminate the lines.

The famous utube plumber gets frozen and split pipes and faucets in the spring. But those are usually exterior showers.

Last edited by Tango; 09-18-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I would tell her you cant give a price till you see the house and what valves there are to shut down the water and drain the lines, also you have to put antifreeze in all the toilets and traps( sinks, tubs and showers and anything else that will hold water..
what type of heating system? steam, hot water or hot air? steam and hot water need to be drained ...I would easily figure 6 hours labor and parts and materials..
after winterizing I would show her what you did and have her sign a completion form that it was done and you are not responsible if some one runs water or flushes the anti freeze out of the traps...
shutting the water at the curb is needed so you can drain the water meter and main water coming up in the house...
there is alot more work to winterizing than you think..
dhal22, GAN, sparky and 1 others like this.
sparky (10-20-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

We blow some down every year with compressed air. Antifreeze all traps.

But- hot water or steam systems? Forget it. They’re tough to get all the water out. I’m also scared of blowing down 100 year old galvanized. You could possibly have a real mess on your hands when you turn it back on.
dhal22, sparky and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

I haven't seen a boiler system in my area yet other than one mansion I went to. All have are electric or gas furnaces or baseboards. So no worries about the heating system. Since we are in Canada you can't shut down the heat completely all the paint will probably peel and or mold.

We don't have water meters. There's a curb stop 8 feet below ground and the city will shut it off for me. Once inside there's a valve and that's it.

@Toli How do you put antifreeze in a line using an air compressor or did I misunderstood you and just blow the lines? I was thinking of draining the lines with a compressor then using a pony pump and an RV tube that siphons the liquid from the jug and open the faucets and let it flow.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

I don’t put antifreeze in the potable system. Just the toilets, sink drains,etc. sorry for the confusion.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I haven't seen a boiler system in my area yet other than one mansion I went to. All have are electric or gas furnaces or baseboards. So no worries about the heating system. Since we are in Canada you can't shut down the heat completely all the paint will probably peel and or mold.

We don't have water meters. There's a curb stop 8 feet below ground and the city will shut it off for me. Once inside there's a valve and that's it.

@Toli How do you put antifreeze in a line using an air compressor or did I misunderstood you and just blow the lines? I was thinking of draining the lines with a compressor then using a pony pump and an RV tube that siphons the liquid from the jug and open the faucets and let it flow.
dont put anything in the potable water system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if its non toxic, you may never get the taste of it out of the pipes and then your up $hits creek without a paddle....
Tango (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli View Post
I don’t put antifreeze in the potable system. Just the toilets, sink drains,etc. sorry for the confusion.
I'm probably going to do the extra safe thing with antifreeze in the pipes, frozen and split cartridges in faucets, no thanks. I'm going to charge accordingly.
sparky likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Quote:
I'm probably going to do the extra safe thing with antifreeze in the pipes, frozen and split cartridges in faucets, no thanks. I'm going to charge accordingly.
You suit yourself, but I personally would not put antifreeze in any potable system. If you take your time and blow everything out you’ll be fine.

Some will say you need a huge air compressor to do it. I use a small compressor and use the water heater as a buffer tank for volume. It can take a little longer and if I was doing lots of it I may get do something differently, but it works for me.
GAN, sparky and Tango like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toli For This Useful Post:
PLUMB TIME (09-19-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

One other thing-

The very first house I winterized by myself I pulled up in the drive and saw what looked like a 1 story small home. I went in, found a bathroom and made my way to the basement. I did my thing and all was good.

Went back in the spring and turned the water on. I heard water running upstairs above the bathroom. I never went and looked but there was a second floor half bath and the toilet tank was busted. So I had to eat a toilet. Luckily everything else was ok.

So now, we go in, open every door, look in every closet, etc for anything plumbing related. (I have found hacked in laundry connections in bedroom closets) I will then turn on a light in each room I’ve got plumbing in so I remember we’re I need to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toli For This Useful Post:
Tango (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
You suit yourself, but I personally would not put antifreeze in any potable system. If you take your time and blow everything out you’ll be fine.

Some will say you need a huge air compressor to do it. I use a small compressor and use the water heater as a buffer tank for volume. It can take a little longer and if I was doing lots of it I may get do something differently, but it works for me.

Odds are the electricity goes out and it freezes faucets that are already empty is very slim.

Yeah I was looking for compressor on sale this morning. I'll have to check my garage to see if I still have my small one.

Good point on the water heater, I can fill it up with air.
mtfallsmikey likes this.