Will this be my first job for a GC? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree123Likes

Old 10-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Will this be my first job for a GC?

We were in the same class to get our contractor's licence. He called me a couple of times for jobs but nothing came out of it. Now this time he has a customer who has a leaky spray hose from a roman tub. Usually this ends up where I have to cut the tile skirt try a new ordinary hose and it doesn't fit through with the chrome finish rosette. Then you need a new faucet.

He emailed me to ask the secretary for details and to bill him, not the customer. I wondering if this is going to be a can of worms. The customer will probably not know I'll be cutting tile and the GC will get a huge bill at the end, will I get paid and get issues with him?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

sounds like BIG trouble...unless you have a working history with him....did you sign a contract with the GC? did you put in the contract the actual customer and location your doing the work and that the customer knows he is subbing to a licensed plumber? if not yo probably wont get paid...he wants you to bill him so he can add his $$ on top of your bill.. I have done this many times but with contractors I could trust and have done much work for in the past...
Gargalaxy, sparky, chonkie and 3 others like this.
sparky (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

I think we’ll be seeing this play out in the soap opera thread
Gargalaxy, sparky, chonkie and 4 others like this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
sparky (10-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
sounds like BIG trouble...unless you have a working history with him....did you sign a contract with the GC? did you put in the contract the actual customer and location your doing the work and that the customer knows he is subbing to a licensed plumber? if not yo probably wont get paid...he wants you to bill him so he can add his $$ on top of your bill.. I have done this many times but with contractors I could trust and have done much work for in the past...
I phoned the secretary like he wrote in the email and she had no clue, she said he'd call back in 2 minutes and we are 4 hours later. I'm not sure about this guy too, he asked me twice to do commercial cash jobs and I refused. I also think he does plumbing on his own or his guys illegally.

Nothing in writing yet, I have to have him sign my work order first and it's better if I let the homeowner know what might happen to his tiles if I have to cut it out. Then it's going to be a 1000$ upfront. I'm sure he'll refuse and that's all right with me!

We'll see if he calls back.
sparky, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
sparky (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I phoned the secretary like he wrote in the email and she had no clue, she said he'd call back in 2 minutes and we are 4 hours later. I'm not sure about this guy too, he asked me twice to do commercial cash jobs and I refused. I also think he does plumbing on his own or his guys illegally.

Nothing in writing yet, I have to have him sign my work order first and it's better if I let the homeowner know what might happen to his tiles if I have to cut it out. Then it's going to be a 1000$ upfront. I'm sure he'll refuse and that's all right with me!

We'll see if he calls back.

if he works on a job you work on and he does illegal plumbing, you will be held liable for it, does he have proper insurances? make him make you additional insured on his insurance policy, so if something happens on the job you can deal with his insurance direct...
I think by the facts you have given already its a run away from situation...or you deal with the homeowner direct and give him a finders fee for the job...
sparky, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

Number one rule on PZ from the old post never work for a GC.

Like you say too much trouble, issues that can arise, then a conundrum to deal with insurance etc. He hasn't called me anyway, I'm not his babysitter.
sparky and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

View Gargalaxy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
He emailed me to ask the secretary for details and to bill him, not the customer.
Quote:
.....I also think he does plumbing on his own or his guys.
Ring any bell? Either he wants to know prices and you'll never get the job or you do part of the job and never will get pay.
sparky, Debo22, skoronesa and 1 others like this.
Gargalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gargalaxy For This Useful Post:
Tango (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargalaxy View Post
Ring any bell? Either he wants to know prices and you'll never get the job or you do part of the job and never will get pay.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
Gargalaxy, sparky and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Or even worse, he did the plumbing in this house, the homeowner thinks he screwed it up and wants a real plumber to fix it, probably because this isn't the first issue he has created. You may very well be going in there to fix something he installed, then like the other guys mentioned where does your liability end? If he gets taken to court and says he hired you to fix that issue and double check all the other plumbing it's he said she said. Except you will have gone there and seen the plumbing and fixed that issue which will seem to say his story is true.

Gargalaxy, Debo22 and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tango (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Better to deal with the home owner directly and get paid by them like I always do.