What's your favorite tank style flush valve? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree15Likes

Old 07-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's your favorite tank style flush valve?

I've been through a few different ones and so far the ultra cheap ones I don't like. The nut on the bottom is way too thin and/or the threads are cut way too deep and you can't get it tight enough without the threads skipping.

The fluidmaster one doesn't have that issue, but what I don't like is that the seating portion of the flush valve is 2" off the bottom of the tank. I've come across a few toilets that just won't flush with that style in there.

I've also used the korky one with the adjustable overflow. It's probably my favorite in terms of overall ease of use, but that is definitely reflected in it's price. (my cost is about double the other styles)

Wondering which one everyone else likes the best.

Happy Independence day.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You meant the fill valve?

I buy mostly korky quiet fill and I also buy cheaper ones, I offer customers which one they want. Even that on 2 recent occasion they had bought their own and I sold the better one.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The fluidmaster one doesn't have that issue, but what I don't like is that the seating portion of the flush valve is 2" off the bottom of the tank. I've come across a few toilets that just won't flush with that style in there.

I install either the fm pro57 or the wb 57731. The wb one is as low as possible but I haven't had any with the pro57 being so tall it lowers the flush volume enough to hinder flushing, but I can see it being an issue with some toilets. Frankly I never rebuild low flush toilets, I just tell them to get a new one. I do however always rebuild higher volume toilets.

The height can be real handy if they have sediment build up issues. Which ever I use I never use the provided flapper. The fm ones don't stay open long enough and the black flappers on the wb ones always leak by. If they don't leak by immediately it's two days later and it's a call back for a stupid flapper!

Wb also offers a big orange brand chloramine resistant model, seems nice but we don't have chlorine issues which are bad enough to affect the flush valves. Plenty of flappers shrivel up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You meant the fill valve?
No, he said and meant the flush valve. But if you want to talk fill valves, personally I prefer the pro45 fm fill valves. The pro45u can be handy. Either way make sure to remove the spiral sediment filter/hammer arrestor from the shank. I hate the wb hush valves with a passion. The fms can very easily be changed by pulling the top off of the old shank and putting a new top piece on. As long as the stop works fms are the easiest to change or clear sediment from, they are also the most sediment resistant.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite tank style flush valve?-5.1_pro_pro57_flushvalvewfloat_520x600.png  

What's your favorite tank style flush valve?-wol-57732.jpg  

Attached Images

Tango likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (07-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=Alan;1209030]I've been through a few different ones and so far the ultra cheap ones I don't like. <SNIP>

I have never heard this question asked before. Is this new style plastic junk causing so many problems that you guys have to change flush valves. or is the problem occurring when you have to change a tank to bowl gasket. I can see a plastic thread jumping and creating a loose joint. Other than that there is not too much that can go wrong with a flush valve other than a flapper or some dead rubber from a flapper fouling the seat. Years back when the valves were brass some times corrosion would mean - - some real tight nuts. I still have flush valve reamers that I used frequently. The best tool was set of hard wood wedges wedged against the tank, to allow the use of a 24" channel-lock pliers to loosen the nut and not twist the valve. Or maybe the new way replace everything prevails!
breplum, sparky, skoronesa and 1 others like this.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

the only time I had to mess with flush valves was on 1 piece kolher crap toilets and that was a freaking nightmare and dam expensive if you could even locate some of the older flush units...
breplum and skoronesa like this.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
the only time I had to mess with flush valves was on 1 piece kolher crap toilets and that was a freaking nightmare and dam expensive if you could even locate some of the older flush units...
Can't bash only Kohler a lot of manufacturers used Curtan Flush Valves, the one with the brass can and the flat leather washer. IE: CRANE, American Standard, T/N , Maybe Rheem and Universal Rundle.
breplum and sparky like this.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMBER_BILL View Post
Can't bash only Kohler a lot of manufacturers used Curtan Flush Valves, the one with the brass can and the flat leather washer. IE: CRANE, American Standard, T/N , Maybe Rheem and Universal Rundle.

kohler seems to be the biggest PITA and high priced, not that I have done a lot of tank repairs latley other than changing fill valves...
Old 07-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #8

View VictorPlumber's Photo Album My Photos

I use korky flush valve with adjustable overflow. It comes with 3 tank bolts.
I buy it for 19.99 canadian.

Well I just checked lowes.ca and it is 18.99

I think it is good price for made in USA quality flush valve.

How much do you pay for your flush valves ?

Regards
VictorPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I have never heard this question asked before. Is this new style plastic junk causing so many problems that you guys have to change flush valves. or is the problem occurring when you have to change a tank to bowl gasket.

Honestly bill, half the time you just keep changing the flapper, the whole house filter, flushing sediment out, cleaning the flush valve face every time and they just keep leaking by the flapper seal face. So I replace the flush valve if it's a good toilet otherwise I tell them to get a new one.

The other half of the time it's a leak at the seal on the inside of the tank under the flush valve or a rotted over flow tube on the brass ones. Sometimes the plastic ones fail from the chlorine making them get tiny cracks but that is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post

I hate one-piece toilets and so does every other plumber I know. I could write an essay on why I hate one-piece toilets. The most complicated ones are the american standards from the late 70's early 80's.

Quote:
Can't bash only Kohler a lot of manufacturers used Curtan Flush Valves

Those things are expensive but extremely rare around here. I have only had to deal with two of them and that was in the same house on two matching toilets from decades ago which were being moved back after renovating the bathrooms. Each got a completely new curtan flush valve. Months later we changed both toilets out for 1200$ st thomas creations one-piece toilets with a seashell design. I kept the old curtans and the new ones when we pulled the toilets.

My only gripe with those curtan flush valves is the leather seal, holds sediment easily. They are cool though. I want to make some copper mugs from the canisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorPlumber View Post
How much do you pay for your flush valves ?
Don't know, don't care. Us guys almost never see prices and frankly it doesn't matter most of the time. I carry the parts I know will work. Sometimes when I am ordering a part to stock on the van I will make sure the price isn't ridiculous but if it's a common style of that particular part I don't bother.

Sometimes ordering small parts is near impossible so we will order something larger that includes it. Like those poly trap adapter nuts with the built in washer. I order hubbed trap adapters and take the nut off. If I can reuse the trap adapter on a sump pump as a male adapter I do but eventually I have so many extra I just toss them.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #10

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

Actually the issues I find most frequently are cracked overflow tubes. Some of them are so brittle that they snap off as soon as I stick my hands in the tank.

The thread jumping issue on the flush valve is something I have found with new cheaper flush valve mechanisms that i'm trying to install on the tank (the 4 dollar ones)

I've had luck re-using the old nut in a pinch, but I hate re-using old parts. Why am I buying this new kit just to reuse part of the old unit?

I like being able to offer complete tank rebuilds because it's a fraction of the cost of a decent toilet. Some people try to argue that they can get a glacier bay for 70.00, but there really is no argument by the time we're done with that discussion.

Speaking of glacier bay and flush valves, anybody tearing out those pieces of junk with the elevated water tray inside of them?
sparky and skoronesa like this.