What is the best way to remove plumbers glue? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By rwh
  • 3 Post By 5onthefloor
  • 3 Post By OpenSights
  • 1 Post By 5onthefloor
  • 1 Post By OpenSights

Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

View AprilZark's Photo Album My Photos
Default What is the best way to remove plumbers glue?

What is the best way to remove plumbers glue?
AprilZark is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Plumber's glue?
Gargalaxy likes this.
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #3

View 5onthefloor's Photo Album My Photos

I think you meant PVC cement?
If so...
1) Wear gloves. My company gets us Black Mambas
2) Leave it be for a couple of days. It just comes off
3) Clear primer has worked for me in most cases
4) Always keep rags nearby this can help when you get a little bit of cement squeeze out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
5onthefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

What really sucks is when you get it in your beard....

Usually I just rub my hands together and it peals right off. If I still have some on my hands when I get home my kid likes to pick it off.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

View 5onthefloor's Photo Album My Photos

@AprilZark I remember you mentioned in your intro about proper terms so not sure if anyone has ever explained this to you so I'll dive in...
When talking about PVC, CPVC, etc the main joining method of such materials is known as making a solvent weld, not a glue joint (even though this is often used in our vernacular)
For instance, when joining PVC pipe to fittings, you are aware that a primer is used first before solvent cement. This is because when these materials are joined with primer, then cement, the pipe and fitting actually are welded together through the cement, hence the phrase solvent weld. If you were to separate a proper joint, you would notice that the fitting and pipe are welded together.
This is the kind of thing that separates the professionals from the DIYers. I can't tell you how many repairs I have done at sanitary tees and trap adapters because somebody did not use primer but only solvent cement to assemble pipe and fittings

Gargalaxy likes this.
5onthefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5onthefloor For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

View Gargalaxy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5onthefloor View Post
@AprilZark I remember you mentioned in your intro about proper terms so not sure if anyone has ever explained this to you so I'll dive in...
When talking about PVC, CPVC, etc the main joining method of such materials is known as making a solvent weld, not a glue joint (even though this is often used in our vernacular)
For instance, when joining PVC pipe to fittings, you are aware that a primer is used first before solvent cement. This is because when these materials are joined with primer, then cement, the pipe and fitting actually are welded together through the cement, hence the phrase solvent weld. If you were to separate a proper joint, you would notice that the fitting and pipe are welded together.
This is the kind of thing that separates the professionals from the DIYers. I can't tell you how many repairs I have done at sanitary tees and trap adapters because somebody did not use primer but only solvent cement to assemble pipe and fittings

Well said ^^
Gargalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I personally would like a better introduction before I want to share info/advice. Area of field? Residential it seems. Service/new?
Gargalaxy likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote