Tankless water heater vent material question. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

View snyper1982's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tankless water heater vent material question.

Our shop has come across a weird issue. We have to change out a tankless heater, from a non condensing unit, to a condensing unit. I would think we could use the higher quality metal non condensing vent for the condensing unit as well, but unsure. Have any-of you come across this?
snyper1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

What's the manufactures instructions list for materials? Whatever it is ( more than likely plastic) you follow the instructions.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 AM   #3

View sierra2000's Photo Album My Photos

PVC.. Should say in the installation manual.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

View Ghostmaker's Photo Album My Photos

Just a mention the PVC pipe manufactures do not allow it to be used as a flue. So if it fails it's on you and the manufacturer.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Just a mention the PVC pipe manufactures do not allow it to be used as a flue. So if it fails it's on you and the manufacturer.
One manufacturer does. I think it was IPC? You know that screened 90 that comes with power vented water heaters? They make it and they say it can be used for flues.
bct p&h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

View paultheplumber1's Photo Album My Photos

Some local code enforment officials will not allow me to use pvc. Does not matter what man specs say. Most of the time CPVC is allowed or in one jurisdiction we have to use a duravent material. This seems to be a highly controversial topic on here.
paultheplumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

Default Tankless water heater vent material question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultheplumber1 View Post
Some local code enforment officials will not allow me to use pvc. Does not matter what man specs say. Most of the time CPVC is allowed or in one jurisdiction we have to use a duravent material. This seems to be a highly controversial topic on here.

Unless the city, town or state puts in a ordinance or modification to their adopted gas code , you follow the manufactures instructions. Just because a inspector has an opinion he can't just make up a code. Tell him to show you where to find this code. I think your in RI and I know it's a topic out there and I've asked a plumber where it is written he doesn't know just that's what the inspector wants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
chonkie (08-08-2015), mccmech (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

View mccmech's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbdrum

Unless the city, town or state puts in a ordinance or modification to their adopted gas code , you follow the manufactures instructions. Just because a inspector has an opinion he can't just make up a code. Tell him to show you where to find this code. I think your in RI and I know it's a topic out there and I've asked a plumber where it is written he doesn't know just that's what the inspector wants.
Thank you, sir, for posting this!!!!! So many plumbers quake when the mere name of an inspector is mentioned. I have always been of the mindset that the inspector is an enforcer of existing code. They do not have the autonomy to implement their own, without some documented proof from the local jurisdiction. It is very reassuring, to me personally, to hear one of "you" guys acknowledge what their responsibility is. Thanks again, sir.
bct p&h (08-05-2015), chonkie (08-08-2015), Chris3topher271 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccmech View Post
Thank you, sir, for posting this!!!!! So many plumbers quake when the mere name of an inspector is mentioned. I have always been of the mindset that the inspector is an enforcer of existing code. They do not have the autonomy to implement their own, without some documented proof from the local jurisdiction. It is very reassuring, to me personally, to hear one of "you" guys acknowledge what their responsibility is. Thanks again, sir.

Why thank you, I always stay between the covers of my code
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
bct p&h (08-05-2015), chonkie (08-08-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

View Dpeckplb's Photo Album My Photos

Up here is system 636 PVC, or metal direct vent.
Dpeckplb is offline   Reply With Quote