The story of my main line. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree64Likes

Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default The story of my main line.

Seven years ago I bought my house. Much better neighborhood than the old one. Got it super cheap, way below market value. It was my former masterís wifeís grandparents house. I can tell you one thing, Grandpa Merl didnít like spending money on maintenance or fixing things right!

My main goes through the wall, about a foot above the floor. When I bought the house I popped the clean out, looks like it goes out about 4í and turns toward the street.

In the seven years weíve lived here Iíve had to cable it twice. Opens about 95í out, which never made sense. Once I bought my camera I tested it on my line before any customer. Turns out I have a city sewer running through my back yard and my line is only 4í long. The city that Iím tied into is abandoned.

The city is replacing the sewer and water lines so Iíve been in contact with Kurt whoís in charge of the project, kinda. 20% city, the rest is Mdot. Makes things interesting.

While I was at work they ran the new taps. Mine, they were supposed to run a new tap to my side of the sidewalk. My neighbor, who knows the whole situation sad they didnít. So I went to pay the water bill and talk to Kurt about it. Said heíd look into it. He called me about an hour later saying that he was out front and talked to the engineer. He said they tied into a live feed. Thatís probably the new sewer from my neighbor beside me.

So I went to video/locate and the old city sewer is backed up. I couldnít get as far with my camera, so I took today off to clean the city again and video/locate.

Hopefully we get this all figured out before the new road and sidewalk!
GAN and skoronesa like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (06-12-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Talked with Kurt after cabling and another video. Got my cable stuck about 40í out. Not open, no backup in my house. Kinda surprised the city was backed up when I videoed earlier this week. Sent him these pictures, obviously Iím tying into a 6Ē or 8Ē line 4í out. Could only get my camera out 18í.

Heís going to call the engineer to meet up with me. Probably do a dye test at my house and my neighborís.

I think Skip, who has passed, went through my yard. Iím a corner lot, he claimed that he had his line replaced to Bridge st. That house is on Lincoln, so the only way he could connect to bridge is through my property. The engineer said they attached to a live feed, so Iím thinking they attached to their line, and Iím still not connected. Dye will tell the tale.

Curb is going in Wednesday, so nowís the time to figure this crap out! Just give me a new tap on my side of the sidewalk! I even sold some of my property to the city for the new 5í wide ADA sidewalk so we donít loose our city shade tree out front. Iíve been very cooperative with them, and sounds like Kurt is on my side with all this. He wants to find out if we need to get me a new tap. Thankfully he knows what Iím talking about and thankfully I know what I know because of our trade!

My town and the three west of me.... back in the day it was the Wild West when the original plumbing was installed. I hate working in my town! Tees on there backs, clay tile city! Seriously, this town is where that crap was made! The factory is no an apartment building.
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my main line.-0aac1fae-db97-4aab-a969-0d8fcc36175e.jpg  

The story of my main line.-adde3270-3b9e-4d64-b19f-a7e6358b9323.jpg  

The story of my main line.-896d912b-ddfc-4802-b3b0-6a32b907f16e.jpg  

MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I have a feeling Iím going to have to come in higher in my wall. Iíd prefer to come in through the floor, but with the existing antiquated city sewer, I donít think that will happen.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I have a feeling Iím going to have to come in higher in my wall. Iíd prefer to come in through the floor, but with the existing antiquated city sewer, I donít think that will happen.

At least you're a plumber and putting in a sewer pump pit wouldn't be that bad. Doubles as a sump pump

Regardless, if you do a floor drain put a bwv on it.

OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
At least you're a plumber and putting in a sewer pump pit wouldn't be that bad. Doubles as a sump pump

Regardless, if you do a floor drain put a bwv on it.

Ever hear of a Michigan basement? Thatís what I have. Sucks, but.

My furnace and sump is about 2í down in a pit. Unfortunately it flooded and my furnace is now dead. Thanks to Debo22ís help, the $30 board off eBay I know itís dead. Time for a new one.

HVAC is the one of two trades I donít have a referral for. Between my supply house and a contractor I have two options now.

As I tell my customers, the joys of owning a home.... it is what it is....
Old 06-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

MY EX sister in law was a Mgr. for a lg care home they moved into a
new home, the first night it all backed up on the first floor, turns out
they never made the city connection, it just ended under the street curb !
[email protected]

Last edited by MACPLUMB777; 06-15-2020 at 02:14 PM..
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Sent Kurt, the city guy a text tonight, with an apology for texting on a Saturday. Within 5 minutes I got a call from him!

He wants to video the whole block and dye test every house! Thank God I took Monday off!

Itís nice to have respect from a city official for once!
Debo22, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Well half my day was phone work, hate it! City guy, who is awesome! Neighbor setting up a time to video, no charge, just don’t want to F’k him over with my current plan, and my excavation company.

According to Kurt from the city all houses on Lincoln have been tied in to a new city sewer in ‘02. My line is 6”, the antiquated city line. Starting to make sense. I can’t video locate past my fence. Tried to cable, but couldn’t get past 40’. Didn’t feel like fighting is since I’m replacing it.

When I got my camera and locator I tested it out... I think the city’s in for a surprise when we dig. I located the next city sewer in my front yard, not the street.
GAN and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I do have permission to dig up the sidewalk and attach to the new pvc without the extra permit though! Bonus!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

City took out the sidewalk today. Texted my excavator after hours... 5:30. Going to call Kurt tomorrow to find out when itís being replaced. Last I talked with him it was a couple weeks!

Plan was Monday or Friday next week. Forgot my nephewís wedding is next Friday!

I want to avoid a sidewalk permit!. Full report once done.