Stairs and Landing & Water Heaters - Page 2 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing


Like Tree39Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 12:26 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Logtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 727

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I don’t see the problem...
slide it down the stairs, stand it up, or slide out the bottom at the landing.
What about bringing the old one out if the landing doesn't fit the heater and staircat at the same time? An old one could weight about 180 pounds or more.


Also I've been in several houses lately doing service jobs and noticing it would be impossible for me alone to bring one downstairs or back up. The stairs are too narrow or the L shape too small. Now I ask pictures because I'm not going to go out there and realize I can't do the job.
Ahhh,
don’t you have someone to help you?
I have a gimp who helps me a few days a week..
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #12
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: HACK LAND
Posts: 7,037

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
Ahhh,
donít you have someone to help you?
I have a gimp who helps me a few days a week..
I'm a one man shop and that's why I have to find ways and tools to be able to.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Kstewart61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 11

View Kstewart61's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Need two people for that over the side will work. And you wonder why old plumbers never die they just take pain killers all day.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Kstewart61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,777

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
What about bringing the old one out if the landing doesn't fit the heater and staircat at the same time? An old one could weight about 180 pounds or more.


Also I've been in several houses lately doing service jobs and noticing it would be impossible for me alone to bring one downstairs or back up. The stairs are too narrow or the L shape too small. Now I ask pictures because I'm not going to go out there and realize I can't do the job.



I think he meant that's how he would bring the old one out.


With all the new eco regs the new ones tend to be bigger than the old ones so the old one could go into the box from the new one for when you slide it out. After you've wrapped it in plastic of course.





.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #15
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: HACK LAND
Posts: 7,037

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I think he meant that's how he would bring the old one out.


With all the new eco regs the new ones tend to be bigger than the old ones so the old one could go into the box from the new one for when you slide it out. After you've wrapped it in plastic of course.





.
I cut the whole box to get it out and no way I'm going to try and wrap it back up and try to drag it up the stairs. Hillbilly plumbing at it's best!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,777

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I cut the whole box to get it out and no way I'm going to try and wrap it back up and try to drag it up the stairs. Hillbilly plumbing at it's best!

Clearly you have your order of operations backwards. You bring the new one up first in the box. When you cut the box, open one side like a door by cutting the top and bottom edges and one long edge. This will allow you to walk the new heater out. The old heater can be put in the box and slid down the stairs. You can even tie a rope to the relief valve or something and lower it down from the top.


I know it sounds convoluted but I've done basically this a handful of times. Granted we always have at least two guys and tell all customers that hot water heaters are a two+ man job.

Btw, I only mentioned the plastic because you have said you wrap them in plastic to avoid dripping.
.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #17
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: HACK LAND
Posts: 7,037

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Clearly you have your order of operations backwards. You bring the new one up first in the box. When you cut the box, open one side like a door by cutting the top and bottom edges and one long edge. This will allow you to walk the new heater out. The old heater can be put in the box and slid down the stairs. You can even tie a rope to the relief valve or something and lower it down from the top.


I know it sounds convoluted but I've done basically this a handful of times. Granted we always have at least two guys and tell all customers that hot water heaters are a two+ man job.

Btw, I only mentioned the plastic because you have said you wrap them in plastic to avoid dripping.
.

Your trick would work like you say however water heaters here are always in the basement. Bringing the old one up is not feasible.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: HACK LAND
Posts: 7,037

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Another question for you Skoro, since you say to slide the old one down, you guys have water heaters on the second floor or something???
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
philosopher and statesmen
 
Master Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis indiana ...
Posts: 7,235

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default

you just to have an extra helper for that one as you will get jammed into that wall...... someone will have to help turn that heater on a dime and come around that corner down to the floor....

I probably would have to pass on it if I did not have an extra guy


skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
__________________
God created man in his image and likeness but Sam Colt made them all equal."
http://weilhammerplumbing.com/
http://plumberindianapolis.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 AM   #20
Ridgid tool user
 
gear junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Land of the UPC
Posts: 4,908

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default

it's a lot of easier work but what if you built a false landing to increase the size?
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
__________________
Buy cheap, buy twice.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com