The scrap yard - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree81Likes

Old 09-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos
Default The scrap yard

Went last week. Came out close to $4K richer.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-04-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Nice haul!

I’ll have to take a picture of our brass and copper pile. It’s the largest I’ve ever seen. Cast, galvi and heaters we drop off at our supply house. There’s an HVAC company right next to them and one of their guys scraps. I use to get around $12 per heater. About 5 years ago I decided to drop a heater off because the scrap yard was on the way home. IIRC I got something like $4.18.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post

You lucky duck, I only got 240$ last time I went. Granted he deducted 40$ for an H-beam I got.

Usually I get like 350-500$ for 6 months of service work scrapping. I don't usually do demo work so it's one piece at a time for this poor guy. Been slim pickins lately. At least we're still installing more copper than we're taking out for the past couple years, should be good down the road.

OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

I give all the scrap to my brother. Copper prices are way down so he’s holding on to it for a bit. His wife is starting to look at him a bit crazy with all the air conditioners piling up in the yard.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Over here, minus 37% that goes to the government as income tax so net profit would be 2280$.

Seriously do you have to declare that as a revenue where you are? I'm supposed to declare the 1.70$ when I bring in a water heater. I'm a bad boy by now declaring it. However 4K in scrap...I'd make sure to pay a kid 50$ to put it under his name.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Wow, $4,000.00!

That's a nice little chunk of change.

I went a month ago and got $300.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Over here, minus 37% that goes to the government as income tax so net profit would be 2280$.

Seriously do you have to declare that as a revenue where you are? I'm supposed to declare the 1.70$ when I bring in a water heater. I'm a bad boy by now declaring it. However 4K in scrap...I'd make sure to pay a kid 50$ to put it under his name.
In my area, if you use your business name you are supposed to claim it. If you use your personal name, you don’t unless you scrap more than $600/year and receive a 1099 from the scrap yard. They never send a 1099.

Edit: I’ve started donating my brass and copper to my master’s pile. It’d probably take me a year to build up enough to make it worth a drive, gas, time, and lunch to justify it. I’ll keep my time and space.
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

Last edited by OpenSights; 09-04-2020 at 10:15 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Edit: Iíve started donating my brass and copper to my masterís pile. Itíd probably take me a year to build up enough to make it worth a drive, gas, time, and lunch to justify it. Iíll keep my time and space.

I check our garbage dumpster all the time because some azzholes throw copper and brass scrap in there

What really ticks me off are the guys who throw garbage into a box from the supply house that still has one or two parts in it and throw it all out because they are too lazy to return the unused parts for credit

I found a 3" brass zone valve, like 20' of 1/2" OD copper cut offs, and a bunch of other smaller brass bits all in one day a couple weeks ago. Found a brand new 3/4" ball valve boiler drain last week. Ferncos, no-hubs, j hooks, milfords, 3/4" 90's, you name it. Some of our guys throw out so many brand new parts. They're lucky the old man isn't as active as he used to be. If he found that stuff instead of me people may very well lose money off their bonus.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I check our garbage dumpster all the time because some azzholes throw copper and brass scrap in there

What really ticks me off are the guys who throw garbage into a box from the supply house that still has one or two parts in it and throw it all out because they are too lazy to return the unused parts for credit

I found a 3" brass zone valve, like 20' of 1/2" OD copper cut offs, and a bunch of other smaller brass bits all in one day a couple weeks ago. Found a brand new 3/4" ball valve boiler drain last week. Ferncos, no-hubs, j hooks, milfords, 3/4" 90's, you name it. Some of our guys throw out so many brand new parts. They're lucky the old man isn't as active as he used to be. If he found that stuff instead of me people may very well lose money off their bonus.

Iíve did a bunch of work at one habit for humanity location when I was starting out. Canít tell you how much business I got because of it!

They have a big metal dumpster for stuff they deem un sellable. Canít tell you how much brass and copper I pulled from it, including three brand new Moen shower rough in valves.

Canít tell you how much material and how many tools I bought from them for 25% of the sticker price.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Iíve did a bunch of work at one habit for humanity location when I was starting out. Canít tell you how much business I got because of it!

They have a big metal dumpster for stuff they deem un sellable. Canít tell you how much brass and copper I pulled from it, including three brand new Moen shower rough in valves.

Canít tell you how much material and how many tools I bought from them for 25% of the sticker price.

Dude, I schit you not, what a coincidence. I was like walking out of our local habitat thrift shop when you posted this. I went in to get some butter knives because somehow we were down to 2, wtf?!

I also wanted to grab some NOS brass flush valves, I got two. I had seen them there like 6 months prior and recently a buddy asked me if I could get him a wall hung tank. I happen to have one in my shed, a very nice, pre-war, kohler, with a porcelain handle. He had a wall hung but the tank had a crack for years and finally started leaking so he put in a cheap toilet. Well now we're going to re-install the wall hung.

The bowl takes a flush elbow and not an offset pipe so I don't think it's older than the late 30's. The tank I got him is definitely older though.

They also had a bunch of unsold plumbing parts the local hardware store donated recently. I picked up some moen clips, a central diverter handle, a tank ball guide, the two flush valves, a cute little 1" stopper, and an a/s handle. Pretty good score I think.

Attached Thumbnails
The scrap yard-habitatscore.jpg