RO systems? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree29Likes

Old 01-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default RO systems?

I might have brought this up before, if I did, I can’t find it....

As you all know I like to brew, and RO is a blank slate for building your water profile. I’ve installed a few under sink units that I get from the supply house and they seem to be good. Never had a complaint or back call. Even some customer supplied ones from the box store. Never any complaints there either. The box store is about $100 less. I haven’t compared the specs.

But I got to thinking, it would be nice if my whole house was on RO. We have really crappy water in my town. I haven’t sent in a sample to be tested yet, but it’s bad. Bought one of those Zero Water filters that come with a PPM tester. IIRC, it was about 440ppm, city water. If I didn’t know better, I’d think they just pump water from the Grand River into the towers....

If I decide to go with a whole house RO system, what am I looking at, besides cost and what unit? My house is copper, galvanized, and pex. Any concerns like when you switch, like what introducing a softener to old galvanized and old fixtures? Since my water is so sh!tty to begin with I plan on a sediment filter and whole house filter, but what about a softener? Would that be beneficial or a waste of money before an RO?

Anything else I should consider? If I go whole house? I don’t think my SH carries them which leads me to the internet. Prices seem to range from $500-2k.

Moen vs. Grohe....?

Last edited by OpenSights; 01-06-2020 at 04:29 PM..
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

View PlumbusC37's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I might have brought this up before, if I did, I can’t find it....

As you all know I like to brew, and RO is a blank slate for building your water profile. I’ve installed a few under sink units that I get from the supply house and they seem to be good. Never had a complaint or back call. Even some customer supplied ones from the box store. Never any complaints there either. The box store is about $100 less. I haven’t compared the specs.

But I got to thinking, it would be nice if my whole house was on RO. We have really crappy water in my town. I haven’t sent in a sample to be tested yet, but it’s bad. Bought one of those Zero Water filters that come with a PPM tester. IIRC, it was about 440ppm, city water. If I didn’t know better, I’d think they just pump water from the Grand River into the towers....

If I decide to go with a whole house RO system, what am I looking at, besides cost and what unit? My house is copper, galvanized, and pex. Any concerns like when you switch, like what introducing a softener to old galvanized and old fixtures? Since my water is so sh!tty to begin with I plan on a sediment filter and whole house filter, but what about a softener? Would that be beneficial or a waste of money before an RO?

Anything else I should consider? If I go whole house? I don’t think my SH carries them which leads me to the internet. Prices seem to range from $500-2k.

Moen vs. Grohe....?

First off let me start by saying I do zero residential work. Im usually doing medical facilities and they all seem to stick with a pentair ro system with a grundfos pump. Another company plumbs the ro equipment , we just leave them a fitting after the backflow. Pentair does make residential systems so I'm assuming if pentair is good for medical , its good for your home. Thats my two cents , its probably worthless hahaha.
OpenSights likes this.
PlumbusC37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not an expert but someone told me, it's going to be useless and expensive to filter water for washing clothes, taking showers and flushing the toilet. It should be reserved for drinking water unless you have unlimited budget.
GAN, OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbusC37 View Post
First off let me start by saying I do zero residential work. Im usually doing medical facilities and they all seem to stick with a pentair ro system with a grundfos pump. Another company plumbs the ro equipment , we just leave them a fitting after the backflow. Pentair does make residential systems so I'm assuming if pentair is good for medical , its good for your home. Thats my two cents , its probably worthless hahaha.
Iíll look at Pentair! Thanks!

About two and a half years ago we plumbed a coffee shop and installed an RO system. I completed the owner on her nice looking RO system. She said ďthanks! It cost more than all the trades combined!Ē Then we had to take her to court to get paid.

Six months later she called to ask us to plumb her third location!

I donít want to go that big!
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm not an expert but someone told me, it's going to be useless and expensive to filter water for washing clothes, taking showers and flushing the toilet. It should be reserved for drinking water unless you have unlimited budget.
Oh yeah, basically just sinks, maybe the showers too. I have to soak my shower heads in CLR every 3-4 months. Treat everything like a hard line.
Tango likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

View PlumbusC37's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Oh yeah, basically just sinks, maybe the showers too. I have to soak my shower heads in CLR every 3-4 months. Treat everything like a hard line.

Ive heard of people running a cold line after the softener to an outside hose bib to be able to wash the car and not have hard water stains all over it.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
PlumbusC37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbusC37 View Post
Ive heard of people running a cold line after the softener to an outside hose bib to be able to wash the car and not have hard water stains all over it.
Very true, but bad for the grass and plants. I just take it to the car wash.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #8

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I’ve heard that RO systems are crap, in general. I know nothing about them, but some ppl think it’s worse then unfiltered water.
OpenSights likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
Iíve heard that RO systems are crap, in general. I know nothing about them, but some ppl think itís worse then unfiltered water.
In some ways it is worse. But like I said, itís a good blank slate to build your water profile. Adding sulfates and other nutrients to build taste and mouthfeel is healthier than just RO. I mistakenly tried to build a water profile with distilled water early on, didnít work out as well. Iím not really sure why yet, but once I took some advice to switch to RO my water is so much better.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
In some ways it is worse. But like I said, it’s a good blank slate to build your water profile. Adding sulfates and other nutrients to build taste and mouthfeel is healthier than just RO. I mistakenly tried to build a water profile with distilled water early on, didn’t work out as well. I’m not really sure why yet, but once I took some advice to switch to RO my water is so much better.

how do you get your water? well or public supply?

heres interesting links to read..sounds like you need a softener more than a filter, at least for the whole house...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...T1xYEUGjOHnX6w

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nlPuN9on-8tTh4
PLUMB TIME and OpenSights like this.