Problem with water pressure. Well pump and tank. Need help - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By OpenSights
  • 4 Post By rwh
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 AM   #1

View jmw132001's Photo Album My Photos
Default Problem with water pressure. Well pump and tank. Need help

We are having issues with losing water pressure when we should not be losing any pressure at all. This farm and home has been in our family for the last 50 years and the well pump that was in it before was 1/2 hp flint with only a 15 or 17 gallon tank. It worked perfectly fine until grandpa got sick and had to be taken to hospital. of course with anything in a home, if it is not used for a period of time it goes down hill fast. Well needless to say he passed away and we managed to get into the home and noticed the pump seemed loud but worked.

Well, finally the pump quit so I found out it was the capacitor that was blowing on the motor itself. So I went and bought some and it would work for a while but then blow again. So, we looked at getting the motor rebuilt, but the cost of rebuilding just the motor alone and not upgrading the tank which all of this was bought new around 30-40 years ago, it was going to cost more then buying an all new well pump and tank.

So, trying to keep this short here, we ended up buying a simmer well pump

Specs:
Model 2805E-02
1/2 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
Cast iron shallow well jet pump can pull water from max of 25'

BODY CONSTRUCTION: Cast Iron

HORSEPOWER: 1/2 HP

MAXIMUM CAPACITY: 6.9 GPM

FLOW AT 10' LIFT AND 40 PSI: 6 GPM

MAX LIFT: 25'

MAXIMUM SHUT-OFF PRESSURE: 69 PSI

MAXIMUM INLET PRESSURE: 50 psi (inlet pressure + discharge not to exceed 100 psi)

PRESSURE SWITCH SETTINGS: 30 - 50 PSI

SUCTION SIZE: 1" NPT (female)

DISCHARGE SIZE: 1" NPT (female)

AMP DRAW (full load): 4.95 Amps on 230V / 9.9 Amps on 115V

VOLTAGE: 115V / 230V, 60 Hz (factory pre-set to 115v)

RECOMMENDED BREAKER: 15 Amp

MAXIMUM WATER TEMPERATURE: 140F (60C)
2805E-02 | 1/2 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump

http://www.simerpumps.com/Residentia..._jt_2805E.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then we also purchased a new tank.
Tank specs:
86 Gallon Vertical Stand Model Pre-Charged Water System Tank

Model Number: HT86

Polypropylene-liner is NSF certified
Liner doesn't impart taste or odor into water
Diaphragm separates water from air chamber
Diaphragm will not fold or crease
Galvanized tank equivalent of 220 gallons
Precharged to 38 PSI
100 PSI max working pressure
Discharge size 1-1/4" NPTF
Malleable iron elbow with stainless insert
No plastic elbow to cross-thread, strip, crack

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi....argainStoreId= 3180

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, we ended up installing this ourselves and once installed we primed the unit, made sure the bladder had the right amount of psi and such and it seemed to work fine. After a while (4-5 months) we noticed the pump would kick on a little more often, but nothing unusual and got use to it. Well now, it seems their is an issue and I can't seem to figure out what the issue may be. I have made a video describing the problem, but it appears we can't keep up with water even though the only faucet being used is the outside faucet and a little sprinkler on it from the dollar store which I know is not using that many GPM.

What happens is the system cutoff switch kicks in at around 33psi and cuts out at around 53-55 psi. We have noticed in the last 5 months or so that let's say you are in the bathroom or anywhere for that matter and you happen to turn the faucet on. the water will come out and then it will trickle real slow and then all of a sudden the pump kicks on and then you can start hearing the water coming more and more and getting more pressure.

Like stated, pump is right at a year old and tank same age. With the size of the tank and the pump, their should not be an issue at all with this sort of water problems and also losing pressure to where it drops down to 15 psi on the gauge at the pump and won't even let the sprinkler work. Any help or advice is appreciated. I made a youtube video which i will share the link. I am sorry for the bad audio and also the shaky camera and lighting, but I could only do so much with 2 hands.

Video of the little sprinkler being used and nothing else in the house being used and no leaks. Already checked.

Also, the depth of the well is probably 10 foot tops as we can hit water at around 10-20 feet here and considering it is 8 feet down in the basement, it can't be too much further down.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

While I know enough to be dangerous hands on, my best advice is to call your local licensed plumber or well guy.
mtfallsmikey, sparky and Tango like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:07 AM   #3

View jmw132001's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
While I know enough to be dangerous hands on, my best advice is to call your local licensed plumber or well guy.
Well with the farming season the way it is right now, Money to do this is not an option. If nothing else I may have to resort to the other outside well and hand pump my water if it gets too bad. If it is something I can do myself, i am all up for it. But it get's expensive trying to get folks here to actually look at it and then try to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

If you are a farmer around me, you can afford a good well man. Those "poor" farmers... Never met a poor one yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwh For This Useful Post:
sparky (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Have your answer here >>>>> https://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/why-post-intro-11368/
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Thread closed.