Mystery water heater problem - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree1Likes

Old 09-21-2015, 01:26 PM  

View Johnny Canuck's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mystery water heater problem

I've got a friend with 2 water heaters, side by side but not connected. Ones for the upstairs apartment, one for the downstairs apartment.
A couple of weeks ago his downstairs water heater started blowing off at the T&P so he had a guy in to replace the water heater and add an expansion tank. New tank, same problem so he replaced the T&P twice, same problem. Called GSW they said change the thermostats. He called me to do that. Same problem. Got GSW to agree to a new tank. I installed it, put the expansion tank on the cold supply instead of the hot that the other guy put it on. Just got called and it's still repeatedly blowing off.
My first thought was PRV but the house is at a constant 60 psi and the other water heater is fine.
Am I missing something?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM  

View 760GWS's Photo Album My Photos

Temp, pressure or defect...pick one ;-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 760GWS For This Useful Post:
plumberkc (09-21-2015), Redwood (09-22-2015), thumper (09-24-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 PM  

View justme's Photo Album My Photos

Well if it's doing the same thing with the new heater that it was with the old heater then you have another issue and more than likely you're getting a pressure spike . I would get a tattle tell gauge to put on a hosebib near by and see what it spikes at. I call them a tattle tell gauge because they have a red needle that will show what the highest pressure the line has been exposed to while you're not looking , the red needle will stay at the highest pressure achieved even after the spike corrects itself. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery water heater problem-tattle-tell-gauge.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justme For This Useful Post:
KoleckeINC (09-22-2015), sparky (10-04-2015), Zombie808 (10-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 PM  
beanburner

View beanburner's Photo Album My Photos

check valve on the cold side .set the expansion tank lower than the pressure coming in to the house
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
Well if it's doing the same thing with the new heater that it was with the old heater then you have another issue and more than likely you're getting a pressure spike . I would get a tattle tell gauge to put on a hosebib near by and see what it spikes at. I call them a tattle tell gauge because they have a red needle that will show what the highest pressure the line has been exposed to while you're not looking , the red needle will stay at the highest pressure achieved even after the spike corrects itself. Good luck.
I checked again and it was up to 80 then down to 70 a few minutes later.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanburner View Post
check valve on the cold side .set the expansion tank lower than the pressure coming in to the house
Never seen anyone around here use a check valve.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM  

View Cajunhiker's Photo Album My Photos

Would one or more water hammer arresters do the trick?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 PM  

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_TPS View Post
I checked again and it was up to 80 then down to 70 a few minutes later.
Is there already a PRV? Either way, looks like you're buying one. When you do put it in, don't be cheap, install a gauge after it.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM  

View 760GWS's Photo Album My Photos

WH ea for US & DS apts, but common cold supply? If so, I'm thinking need the large exp tank, assuming 30+gal WHs.

Is that other TNP valve old and stuck closed? Might need to put a gauge on ea WH to compare.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 PM  
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanburner
That's a sure fire way to have your expansion tank fail in under 3 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plumberkc For This Useful Post:
Redwood (09-22-2015), sparky (10-04-2015)