Moen Posi Temp Shower Valve dilimma - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

View srloren's Photo Album My Photos
Default Moen Posi Temp Shower Valve dilimma

I have a wonderful family (Mom and Dad and 4 kids) renting a single family home with a BW 50 Gallon Water Heater that has an older model Moen Posi-Temp Shower valve installed. Even with the water shortage, they like to take longer showers than the water heater can supply. I suspect that they have the water heater turned up to more than 140 degrees but will verify that when I go there today. I recently installed the valve and told them to call me if it is too hot or not hot enough. Yesterday she sends me a text that the water is too hot or too cold and not much adjustment for a satisfactory temperature. I am going by with my temperature gauge to show her husband how to adjust the valve to get it just right for this family. I now understand why some landlords charge more for a large family as they are going to wear out the water heater and other things quicker and cost more to repair than a couple or single person. My goal is to get them to use lless water but given the age of the kids, it might be wishful thinking. Any suggestions on a solution for this family and the property owner? They really are a great family and I want to do right by them and the owner. TIA

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

It's a good call on the plumber's part to show the customer how to adjust the setting for temperature on the W/H rather than actually doing it.

I leave them at the factory setting of 120 F. I will show someone how to raise or lower the temperature setting, but I won't do it for them.
myakka (09-11-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

You must be familiar with that law suit a few years back. Lots of liability out there.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

When I do an inspection on a water heater I always check the temp, here legal for residential is 120-130. I not it on my pass sticker on water heater and plumber and I initial it.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

View Wolfe Seacoast's Photo Album My Photos

...has an older model Moen Posi-Temp Shower valve installed...Yesterday she sends me a text that the water is too hot or too cold and not much adjustment for a satisfactory temperature.

I would be looking at that Posi-Temp cartridge. Set limiters for full range see what you get.
Suspect the balancing feature is sticking.
Wolfe Seacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Seacoast View Post
...has an older model Moen Posi-Temp Shower valve installed...Yesterday she sends me a text that the water is too hot or too cold and not much adjustment for a satisfactory temperature.

I would be looking at that Posi-Temp cartridge. Set limiters for full range see what you get.
Suspect the balancing feature is sticking.
Setting the temperature limit too high where scalding temperature water may be encountered is a liability risk for the plumber as well, which should be avoided.

Yes... The balancing spool should be checked for proper operation but as stated the problem is probably more likely to be insufficient supply. If the tank is operated at an elevated temperature a device such as "Cash Acme's Tank Booster" should be installed to prevent scalding.

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

View Nathan901's Photo Album My Photos

Pop in a new cartridge and be done with it for a few years. The balancing spool inside those cartridges are notorious for sticking if not used for a period of time.
Nathan901 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan901 For This Useful Post:
Michaelcookplum (08-30-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 AM   #8

I believe I spoke with someone at Moen a year ago or so and he told me to soak the cartridge in vinegar and water, 50% of each and let is soak for 6 hours or so and rinse it off then lube it up and install it. It is supposed to allow the balancing mechanism to function properly... Has anyone tried this?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 AM   #9
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by srloren View Post
I believe I spoke with someone at Moen a year ago or so and he told me to soak the cartridge in vinegar and water, 50% of each and let is soak for 6 hours or so and rinse it off then lube it up and install it. It is supposed to allow the balancing mechanism to function properly... Has anyone tried this?
I doubt it...
Considering that a new cartridge is about $40...
And the gaskets on the cartridge usually get ripped up pulling it...

Also how would you bill that, and what customer wants their water off for 6 hours?

I've never done it and never will...

sparky likes this.

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
plumbdrum (08-31-2015), Plumbducky (08-31-2015), SHR Plumber (09-06-2015), sparky (12-28-2016)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

View Pacificpipes's Photo Album My Photos

I would charge more for the cleaning than installing a new one. You will also save yourself a call back.
Pacificpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacificpipes For This Useful Post:
Redwood (08-31-2015), sparky (12-28-2016)