Lunch? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree126Likes

Old 10-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

View Nazareth's Photo Album My Photos
Default Lunch?

What is your go-to approach for lunch other than eating out?

I want hot food for lunch, but I don't want to break the bank eating out every day. What solutions have worked for you?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Lunch is what you eat at home when the days work is done.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post

Couldn't agree more, anything else is a snack. Occasionally I will put some cereal in a 1qt. wonton soup container. My wife will sometimes buy me the crackers with the chive "cheese" on them. I always try to keep seltzer or water in the van. Used to be gallon jugs of arizona but i am trying to avoid diabeetus.

I had a 4lb bag of plain shelled dry roasted peanuts for a while. They were like eating crunchy lima beans. No salt or anything. Just a tablespoon of those will cure your munchies lolz. It was meant as squirrel food. It was given to me at an animal sanctuary a couple years back. I was always surprised rodents never got into it sitting in the work van.

Today I ate a tuna salad sandwich from the gas station and drank two gatorades, then I got sent a solid 60 mins away and was nodding off by the time I got there. Food during the day only slows me down.

I am a huge sucker for sushi though

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
2-3 times a week for me! I finish my last job at 1-2 pm then I refill my supplies and end up at home at 3:30. Rummage through the fridge, drink a coffee go take a nap and go for a drive.

Other than that I brought those large coolers when working construction but now I don't bring anything except water. Sometimes I'm able to go back home in between jobs and grab left overs or chef D in a can. Then other times it's fast food.

I tried the sandwiches at the groceries, you know those "healthy" ones with 2 tiny sticks of carrots on the side, it's like eating freaking mystery bland substances between 2 slabs or crumbly mortar.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
. Used to be gallon jugs of arizona but i am trying to avoid diabeetus.

I had a 4lb bag of plain shelled dry roasted peanuts for a while. They were like eating crunchy lima beans. No salt or anything. Just a tablespoon of those will cure your munchies lolz. It was meant as squirrel food. It was given to me at an animal sanctuary a couple years back. I was always surprised rodents never got into it sitting in the work van.

That peanut thing was epic!

Diabetus... Took me years to be able to drink stevia soda and even harder to drink carbonated water.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #6

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

You could do what most of the Mexican workers on the job sites do here and have an electric hot plate or griddle and bring things to heat up. They usually have like a pot luck deal going on and many of them bring some good leftover stuff that their wives made and will all chill out and in a big group and eat. Then it's siesta time for a bit before getting back to work. There are also times when they don't bring stuff from home but will have one guy go to the store and buy supplies for something simple to make like tacos and they'll cook it there on the site. There's a Fiesta store not too far from one of the main areas I used to work in a lot and you could get a pound of marinated fajita meat for a good price that I would buy and put on their griddle and cook up and share.
chonkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I tried the sandwiches at the groceries, you know those "healthy" ones with 2 tiny sticks of carrots on the side, it's like eating freaking mystery bland substances between 2 slabs or crumbly mortar.

Not all places have the same premade sandwiches. Some of the gas stations have two rectangular halves in a package, others have two triangles, some will have three triangles so essentially a sandwich and a half.

The most interesting is the double decker half. It's the same amount of filling as one sandwich but only 3/4 of the bread. It goes one triangle of bread, filling, triangle, filling, and then a third triangle of bread. Well some doofus at the factory must have been high because I got a triple decker when it should have been just two triangle halves. I started to eat it while I was driving. I take the first bite and it took me a while to realize why it was so awkward. You ever have a triple decker sandwich?!?!?! The worst part was the white bread wasn't airy at all, pretty dry too.

I've told my wife before, if I crash the work van they'll find food splattered everywhere lolz I just work drive and eat all day. I love my job.

OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonkie View Post
You could do what most of the Mexican workers on the job sites do here and have an electric hot plate or griddle and bring things to heat up..........

A lot of our guys and the carpenters have microwaves in their vans

I don't though, would mean less room for parts!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #9

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

Here you'll also see some guys bring leftovers from home and have a small microwave with them to heat stuff up or they will go to 7-11 and use their microwaves.
chonkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

I’m a creature of habit, 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day. I put way too much PB&J on them so their about 2” thick. I mostly eat them while driving.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote