I hate orangeburg! - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

View Workhorseplmg's Photo Album My Photos
Default I hate orangeburg!

Orangeburg main under a house several holes in it where roots have gotten in. I worked on this house last summer when the renter had a sour smell everytime she ran laundry. I had to make a crawl hole and it had 6" of "water" under it. Had my apprentice flush the toilet and it bubbled up about 15' in under the house. So I cleaned the drain and all the water drained down. Patched the hole and told the owner to call me when she moved out.
I've got a new apprentice now and I thought this would be a good introduction to plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
I hate orangeburg!-image-2402398113.jpg  

Workhorseplmg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workhorseplmg For This Useful Post:
chonkie (01-26-2016), plbgbiz (01-26-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

At some point someone ran a new sewer main under the house in thin sewer and drain pipe, added a bathroom in a closet, and left 12' of orangeburg between the plastic and cast iron.
Attached Thumbnails
I hate orangeburg!-image-1877467808.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workhorseplmg For This Useful Post:
chonkie (01-26-2016), plbgbiz (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

I love the stuff. Replacing some tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

I love replacing it outside, not in a 15" crawl space, lol. Especially buried in a crawl space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Workhorseplmg For This Useful Post:
gear junkie (01-26-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I love orangeburg as well, as far as the crawl space replacement work you just have to put enough time into the trade to where you are no longer the plumber doing the work.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

View CPR2010's Photo Album My Photos

I just did a job a couple of months ago where we had to replace a 8' section of Orangeburg under a brick retaining wall. This was the first time that I ever replaced it and was able to actually recover a fairly good looking section nearly intact (other then it being badly out of round) and even recovered a still functioning slip fitting. I had one of my guys clean it all off and disinfect it and now its mounted to our office wall as a museum piece. It still has the manufacturing data stamped on it and legible. I tried to do some research and best I could find was that the company that made it was from around the Michigan I believe and went out of business in the early 70's
CPR2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
I love orangeburg as well, as far as the crawl space replacement work you just have to put enough time into the trade to where you are no longer the plumber doing the work.
One day I will have someone else under there. I have a skinny helper, it only took us about 3 hours to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Workhorseplmg For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workhorseplmg View Post
One day I will have someone else under there. I have a skinny helper, it only took us about 3 hours to do it.

That is the best way I know of to get rid of a bad employee that you dont want to have them file un-employment benefits on you. if you were to fire them........

Just take them out to a job like this and say we are gonna be working on this mess for a week and you are going to be the lead man on the job.......

they will run like scared deer and never show up again...

works every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

I do put new guys with me or my other guy on the nastiest grunt work imagine able. I hired this skinny guy three weeks ago, so far he has been in a 15 in crawl space to fix a buried leak, replaced that orangeburg in another tight space, jackhammered a 6" slab so we could add a bathroom, and today he hand dug a leaking sewer 2 foot deep so we could add a cleanout. We are starting a dormitory slab at the college tomorrow, guess who will be digging under the footer for all the cleanouts and service entrances.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

We will see if he can make it through the summer with our 110 degree heat indexes digging through clay and gravel.