I got the job instead of it going to a unlicensed person! - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree27Likes

Old 03-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default I got the job instead of it going to a unlicensed person!

It feels good to be hired to do a job instead of it going to a hack. A guy just moved in a condo on the second floor and wanted someone to install his shower column. I asked him pictures to provide an estimate. I called him back and I heard him gulp at the price range. I quickly told him to look at my website and reviews. I told him to be careful who he hired to make sure they were licenced.

He called me back and I didn’t want to lose my chance so I told him I could do it tomorrow on saturday.

It turns out the faucet store recommended him a plumber from their province without any licensing, insurance and probably not even a plumber. He also called someone else who also was a under the table guy without licences. I don’t get it why a store who sells only faucets recommending hacks to do plumbing, don’t they care getting sued or having a bad reputation??

He told me their price and it was ridiculously low. That would of ended to be a botched job, also not to code. He was glad to pay more for a proper job and my reviews sealed the deal. Finally I got myself a paycheck this week.

@Master Mark : I'm a good student so I put stickers in the access panel and one on his tankless water heater!

dhal22, GAN, Gargalaxy and 6 others like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
89plumbum (04-01-2018), Tommy plumber (03-31-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

I've never installed one of those. How difficult are they? Was it pretty heavy?
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

The first one you'll do will be a pain in the a$$ because all the ones I installed either inexpensive or expensive look like they all came from the same Chinese factory.

The instructions, you can toss them because they don't give you a height to start off, its always at the discretion of the plumber so you have to ask the home owners their family height and start doing some math. You don't want the spray in your face. Then the bracket locations never match the ones in the instructions, you have to measure everything because if you follow the instructions the bottom bracket will not be where its supposed to be and to top it off the column will end up 6" too high or too low.

Then more math as the water supplies has to come out in a good spot so you can tie in with the flex hoses in the back. You have to hold the column in one hand and try to connect it with the other unless you put your own flex to put the column on the ground while hooking it up. They are not heavy and for it to stay in place silicone the sides.

This one was a little more complicated as the supplies had to come out from the previous valve.

There are no parts for these. I've had one woman who had to shut the water main because the water was stuck open. The only solution is to put a new column in.
chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Wizard

PM sent Chonkie

There are also 2 types. One where you can retrofit with the existing shower valve. I have many issues with this one because people buy this type because its cheaper but they don't realize you will be looking at your old crappy faucet and the column on top. They figure out that's not what they wanted and you wasted your time going to the customer's house to explain that. My peeve is that they expect a 10 minute job for 30$. When I see what they bought I'm prepared and expect cheap and difficult customers.

The one I installed you have to remove the old faucet and do some piping. The mixer is in the column. This setup cost several hundreds more and usually people don't go for that. It's always low cost with ads everywhere saying that over and over where you "save here, best prices here and so on" It's ingrained in them to go for cheap.
chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

The cheap ones are junk. We no longer install them.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
The cheap ones are junk. We no longer install them.
Yep, I installed one for a sheriff about 6 years ago. He got it from Costco or amazon. He had a few beers in him when I showed him the finished install. He was standing outside the shower testing it out and turning dials to see all the functions, when he activated the handheld sprayer it was pointed right at him soaking him. His instinct was to grab the wand, that broke off and water was shooting out of the hose hitting the ceiling. Good times.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
Yep, I installed one for a sheriff about 6 years ago. He got it from Costco or amazon. He had a few beers in him when I showed him the finished install. He was standing outside the shower testing it out and turning dials to see all the functions, when he activated the handheld sprayer it was pointed right at him soaking him. His instinct was to grab the wand, that broke off and water was shooting out of the hose hitting the ceiling. Good times.

Hahaha!!

I made a mistake with that install because the customer asked if it was good quality and without thinking I said whether you paid a lot for it or not they are practically the same.

Not to hurt him and make him feel better at the end I told him the wand had a little brass and was better quality. Although the rest of it was like all the others.
Debo22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Looks great

Just an FYI, Some of the overseas suppliers may very well get through the cracks.

Remember about "certified" Lead Free at least in the U.S. anyway. May come back and bite you.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

View Mikeob1998's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The first one you'll do will be a pain in the a$$ because all the ones I installed either inexpensive or expensive look like they all came from the same Chinese factory.

The instructions, you can toss them because they don't give you a height to start off, its always at the discretion of the plumber so you have to ask the home owners their family height and start doing some math. You don't want the spray in your face. Then the bracket locations never match the ones in the instructions, you have to measure everything because if you follow the instructions the bottom bracket will not be where its supposed to be and to top it off the column will end up 6" too high or too low.

Then more math as the water supplies has to come out in a good spot so you can tie in with the flex hoses in the back. You have to hold the column in one hand and try to connect it with the other unless you put your own flex to put the column on the ground while hooking it up. They are not heavy and for it to stay in place silicone the sides.

This one was a little more complicated as the supplies had to come out from the previous valve.

There are no parts for these. I've had one woman who had to shut the water main because the water was stuck open. The only solution is to put a new column in.

Funny you say that. I just started a master bath rough in today where I will be putting in my first shower panel. Super cheap and supplied by the customer. Gotta love it! Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tango likes this.
Mikeob1998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #10

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

I don't like putting them in either. If I get busy enough and someone asks me to do one, i'll throw a number at them for a real shower system instead of that crap.
Mikeob1998 likes this.