How to get 100 gal. heater into drain pan? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree33Likes

Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

View plumbstar's Photo Album My Photos
Default How to get 100 gal. heater into drain pan?

I do a lot of high end service and repair plumbing. I recently passed on a WH heater replacement because I'm just a one man shop. I was asked to observe the other plumbing firm do the replacement. Mind you, this is a 100 gal commercial water heater - about 650#. I was curious as to what the secret to get the heater in the pan was. After two smashed pans, the other contractor obviously had no clue as well. They're a seven truck shop and do residential / commercial work. I'd appreciate any tips on how to get a heavy heater like this into the pan.

I had to go back a few days later for complaint of a long time to get hot water. Other plumber didn't install ball valve to isolate recirc system from the heater making it almost impossible to purge air from the system. they also left the heater set at 140. Ouch!!

I always install a Penn A421 therm on my recirc systems. Very useful for fine tuning pump operation. Grundfos clip-on therms are useless as far as Im concerned
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
plumbstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I have used the brick trick. One red brick on the outside {maybe 2 if the W/H is a big tank} and tilt the W/H onto the brick. Slide it over the brick and when enough of the tank is inside the pan, let it slide safely into the pan. Might need a brick outside and another one inside.

The brick is approx. the same height as the lip on the safety pan.
No more crushed pans.

My 2 cents.
utzo (11-26-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Plumbing since 1974

View breplum's Photo Album My Photos

We use 4x4s on the outside and 2 x 4 or 2x6 inside or you get the drift...but really, now we only allow clients to upgrade to dual tankless (redundancy stupid!)

example: Chick-fil-A locations Are usually owned by the corporation and then the franchisee has responsibility for maintenance on some of the products and the Corp.for some. But they build these tiny mechanical rooms for one complicated induced draft jumbo water heater...And when that sucker goes out the restaurant either Has to be not in compliance with health code or wing it or shut down.
All of that is utter stupidity when all they need to do is design it for two twin tankless water heater’s with bypass so that when one goes bad the other one is fully operational with a twist of a lever handle or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GAN, sparky, chonkie and 3 others like this.

925 283-3408
breplum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to breplum For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (11-27-2019), Tommy plumber (11-26-2019), utzo (11-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

https://kmg-products.com/the-square-water-heater-pan/
Bayside500, GAN, skoronesa and 1 others like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
sparky (11-28-2019), Tommy plumber (11-26-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

The best way to do the big water heater into a pan is to use a
heavy duty plastic laundry washing machine pan ...... you cut 3 inch rollers out of sch 40 pvc....about 28 inches long.....make 3 of them......

you set one in the pan and you put the heater on the other 2 rollers and roll it up over the lip of pan and onto the roller in the pan ... then you basically roll it over the edje and normally set it down on bricks .....and take the roller out from the back side setting that side down onto bricks.....

this can also be done with 2 inch PVC rollers depending on the situation

this is how they built the pyramids back with moses and the bible...........

careful to watch your fingers....

Plumbus, sparky, skoronesa and 2 others like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
sparky (11-28-2019), utzo (11-26-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

View rooterboy's Photo Album My Photos

I bought a hot rod hand truck. You can tilt the water heater out of the pan and tilt the new one into the pan. It works for 30 to 50 gallon water heaters residential. Also if you have the space you can use a block and tackle or a 120 volt harbor freight overhead winch.
sparky, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
rooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #7

View plumbstar's Photo Album My Photos

Heater is 700# and has 3 legs. Not a flat base.
sparky and MASTRPLUMB like this.
plumbstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbstar View Post

Do you have space around the pan? How tall is the ceiling? 700# seems high even for a 100gal. For reference a bock 113gal oil model only weighs 660lbs. Are you counting the weight of the burner assembly? I would definitely take that off before moving it. If the 3 legs make it a pain then could you cut them off and just use three bricks?

If it's a taller ceiling and you have some space, get the heater where you want it, make a tripod with 2" pipe, wrap the apex with chain to hold them together with a block and tackle set or chain fall and use it to lift the heater while you slide the pan under.

Perhaps you can hang the block and tackle off a beam attached to the building structure?

To be honest with you we don't use pans around here. We install plenty of huge water heaters but they're just up on blocks in a mech room with a floor drain. Or they get set on the floor and bricks are mortared around them if we are worried about oil leaks.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbstar View Post
Go check out rick's pulley and winch system on the ridgid forum.

(2) 1/2" Drop in anchors in the concrete ceiling with a riser clamp, then attach a shackle and chain block and a few slings.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.

Last edited by Tango; 11-28-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Here’s a product at Fergusons
Attached Thumbnails
How to get 100 gal. heater into drain pan?-52f7191c-3dc3-4ce2-90b7-eca78b631d21.jpg  

How to get 100 gal. heater into drain pan?-5714c701-688f-4f2d-8281-c21a8f04fbd3.jpg  

How to get 100 gal. heater into drain pan?-bac25a0f-e2f8-4d9e-a34e-c6f8c6b1f04e.jpg  

skoronesa and Tango like this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote