How to fix an American Standard Faucet - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default How to fix an American Standard Faucet

In order to fix a leaking American Standard Faucet on a roman tub this is what you have to do. It was installed 4 years ago.

Leaking diverter, remove spout....Ok it worked, the store gave her an incorrect longer stem...I swapped the o-rings. Turn the water on, no leaks until called 40 minutes later and her ceiling is wet. So I look at her instructions sheet the spout shank has O-ring under the tub...Great Impossible to get to!

The second complaint the handles were were opening the wrong way. The instruction says to turn the escutcheon and pull on the handle....Handles seized after 4 years of installation...Great!

So today I repaired the faucet completely as if it was new. All you have to do is cut a hole in the tile skirt and few maneuvers to to get to the shank O-ring.

chonkie, Debo22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-30-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

Got to go back on monday so I'll take pics of the repair. Did I ever say this brand sucks? On second thought, I hope I get more of these if you know what I mean...
MACPLUMB777 and Mikeob1998 like this.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

I just have to say they don't make stuff like they used to.

I've repaired tons of american standard faucets/tub valves. Sometimes yeah they get abused and let to leak longer than they should and then they are seized and difficult to disassemble.

I wouldn't call the brand junk though.
chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

I am not a fan of American standard at all. I would take it over some of the big box stores brands like p-fister. I much prefer Moen and if I get a call for a leaky faucet and it's an American standard I would offer to repair it but also tell the customer that it can also be replaced with a new and better faucet if they so choose. If it's a box store brand I get called out for I immediately tell the customer that it's going to be replaced unless they want to deal with the headache of finding parts and doing it themselves

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

View fixitright's Photo Album My Photos

Drain cleaning is much easier. Sometimes.
czplumbing and skoronesa like this.
fixitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitright View Post
skoronesa likes this.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitright View Post
Job like those I get home so god damn tired I had to lay down. I even overslept 2 hours on saturday morning.

I'll take pictures next time to show how many tools and stuff to swap one out.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just have to say they don't make stuff like they used to.

I've repaired tons of american standard faucets/tub valves. Sometimes yeah they get abused and let to leak longer than they should and then they are seized and difficult to disassemble.

I wouldn't call the brand junk though.
KOLHER SUCKS !!!!!..it looks good and will last if you dont use it, but they suck every way it can..lol...
Tango likes this.
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Moderator Wizard

I replaced that faucet with a Moen she bought. First time its one of those you have to solder the parts. It was easier than those freaking flex hose in a tight space and where stubs can never be tight and after a few month everything is loose and wobbles.

I still have to go back though, the pyramid escutcheons/handle assembly are just screwed in place by hand and you can turn them easily. The woman says they are loose and is scared water will drip under them into the main floor. I told her if I put them tighter the square radius will scratch the tub, but she's the customer!

I will be siliconing them tomorrow EVEN Though I did like the instruction that said to put silicone on the washers under the tub which I think is intended create a water seal. I'll do the same to the spout.

Should I put putty instead of silicone on top of the tub and underneath the escutcheons? Silicone may make them hard to pull out in the future. (putty might shear out when turning the escutcheons/handle assembly into place)
Old 09-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

Seems like nowadays everything in terms of trim kit is coming with it's own o-ring or built in foam gasket.

I also can't stand that square crap for that reason, and I also do not like mounting tub trim to the fiberglass. :(

I would do whatever the mfg suggests and CYA.