He said bidet runs a little bit sometimes? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree19Likes

Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

View plumber.joe's Photo Album My Photos
Default He said bidet runs a little bit sometimes?

I went to a call the other day and the customer stated that his bidet was running every once and a while. I was there to reset a toilet that was leaking from the bottom so I took care of that no problem. And for the bidet i suggested we come back and replace the gaskets stops in the handles. It's an old american standard bidet. And secondly I said he might want to think about and expansion tank because if its happening randomly it's because of the pressure build up and though the stops might be a weak point if we fix that it's going to find another weak point in the system or make one. So when I I told my supervisor he asked me why the expansion tank like he never heard of doing that before. Im in FL barely any expansion tanks off residential water heaters down here.

What are some thoughts and feed back on the suggested repairs?

Might be a little off on the terminology I used "gasket stops"? Idk but I've seen the inside of a few 3 handle diverters and its basically the same setup...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber.joe View Post
I went to a call the other day and the customer stated that his bidet was running every once and a while. I was there to reset a toilet that was leaking from the bottom so I took care of that no problem. And for the bidet i suggested we come back and replace the gaskets stops in the handles. It's an old american standard bidet. And secondly I said he might want to think about and expansion tank because if its happening randomly it's because of the pressure build up and though the stops might be a weak point if we fix that it's going to find another weak point in the system or make one. So when I I told my supervisor he asked me why the expansion tank like he never heard of doing that before. Im in FL barely any expansion tanks off residential water heaters down here.

What are some thoughts and feed back on the suggested repairs?

Might be a little off on the terminology I used "gasket stops"? Idk but I've seen the inside of a few 3 handle diverters and its basically the same setup...

tell him to close the bathroom door so it doesnt run away...

I never heard that an expansion tank to cut pressure down to stop a leaky valve because of pressure build up...
either a valve holds or it doesnt, pressure difference shouldnt make a difference...more like a bad seal that isnt tightened down enough when shut off or debris in the seal that lets water through...
MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Any hammer arrestors in that place? Then like Donwhill said fix the leaky valves. If not just let it run with Forest Gump, he'll get tired and stop!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Any hammer arrestors in that place? Then like Donwhill said fix the leaky valves. If not just let it run with Forest Gump, he'll get tired and stop!
Probably no hammer arrestors. What does that have to do a leaking valve?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
tell him to close the bathroom door so it doesnt run away...

I never heard that an expansion tank to cut pressure down to stop a leaky valve because of pressure build up...
either a valve holds or it doesnt, pressure difference shouldnt make a difference...more like a bad seal that isnt tightened down enough when shut off or debris in the seal that lets water through...
It's only if its leaking sometimes that it could be pressure finding a weak point in the system. Fixing the valve would definitely work but then theres the pressure issue which searches for another weak point or makes one over time.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Probably no hammer arrestors. What does that have to do a leaking valve?

about as much as an expansion tank does.....
Tango likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
It's only if its leaking sometimes that it could be pressure finding a weak point in the system. Fixing the valve would definitely work but then theres the pressure issue which searches for another weak point or makes one over time.

wrong on the expansion tank, thats NOT what expansion tanks on domestic systems are for..unless the system is going from 40 psi to 1000+ psi and blowing out the valve ....it aint gona leak because of an extra 20 to 30 psi in the system, the valves are rated for a few hundred psi to work..fix the valve..thats the issue not water pressure..its a valve on/off not a spring loaded relief valve....
Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
wrong on the expansion tank, thats NOT what expansion tanks on domestic systems are for..unless the system is going from 40 psi to 1000+ psi and blowing out the valve ....it aint gona leak because of an extra 20 to 30 psi in the system, the valves are rated for a few hundred psi to work..fix the valve..thats the issue not water pressure..its a valve on/off not a spring loaded relief valve....
I got that info straight from an a.o. smith training course. That's 100 percent what expansion tanks are for. What do you think they are for just so the pipe dont get uncomfortable?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Wow you're 100 percent wrong my friend. Look into it. What would you say an expansion tank is used for? It's to regulate pressure in a "closed" plumbing system. Why? To prevent failure in the system. Where? At faucets and hose bibs and toilet fill valves. Man if you're gonna give out info please be accurate. Like I said in my intro theres alot I dont know bit dont be mistaken there is alot I do know. And I can tell 100 percent fact an expansion tank is used to regulate pressure in a closed plumbing system for proper function of fixtures. Above 80 psi things start to fail. Have you ever done a pressure test with a faucet on?

Just look into it. I'm not here to argue. It's ok to be wrong sometimes though that's how you learn. I'm sure you know a ton about things I've never seen but look into what a 50psi boost in pressure does to a fixture or fill valve or washing machine.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
to be honest though you did awnser my question. dont bring **** like that up is the lesson here lol. just because i know about it doesnt mean the higher ups want to hear my input. he probably thought the same thing by the way he was asking me about it. i would hat to have to pull up some references and make my boss feel stupid. the goal is to bring home a paycheck i can do all that extra **** when im out on my own.