Cut the thread on steam radiator pipe, is it still ok? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

View Sirveu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cut the thread on steam radiator pipe, is it still ok?

Hi All,

Since I was remodelling a little and removing the radiator to paint it, I also decided to change a very old and worn out radiator valve and remove some very incorrect connection angle pipes.

See here... http://screencast.com/t/iYTW7pz8

I ended up cutting the valve off because it was almost impossible to unscrew. The problme is that I some a tiny bit of the thread and worried that the steam radiator may now leak due to this.

See pictures here:
1 - http://screencast.com/t/bQVWBgkH2
2 - http://screencast.com/t/5jDzlJq4q
3 - http://screencast.com/t/RJkTatq0
4 - http://screencast.com/t/9pGRaGdNo
5 - http://screencast.com/t/etw2n97f

The new valve screws on perfectly well and I was told in hardware store that a slightly damaged thread is not a problem if I just put on some of the plumbing tape and the plumbing putty on it. However, they did not see the pictures above so I was worried what their idea of "damaged" is.

Will the putty and tape combination be fine or will it leak now or something?

I don't know what to do now as my home project keeps getting bigger and bigger by the day. If there is 90% chance that this will be fine, I would leave it and just make sure to tape and putty enough.

My other, very time consuming and expensive option is to buy a pipe threader and make the thread about an inch lower. Then cut the top part off. The good part about this is that I may not need to put much under the radiator to lift it up to the thread. I really hope not to use this option because if I mess up again, I may end up having to remove the floor to change the entire pipe under it.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

View mccmech's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sure the guy at the hardware store gave you excellent advice! I would fly with whatever that person told ya. Fill the system, oh, and then call a REAL plumber to fix it when it fails!!!!!!!;-) ;-)
chonkie (08-17-2015), GAN (08-19-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

Oh, and just because I am a curious fellow, how did the "qualified" hardware store employee define slightly damaged?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

Cut the thread on steam radiator pipe, is it still ok?-image-4013570827.jpg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
chonkie (08-28-2015), GAN (08-19-2015), Redwood (08-18-2015), Tommy plumber (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

The person I talked to at the hardware store wasn't a real employee just looked like a contractor buying plumbing supplies for some job. Regardless of what he said, I obviously did not just go with it, hence me doing further research on here.

I don't know how the putty or the tape works well enough when it starts to impact to know if that damage would mean anything.

Very much interested in you opinion on what you would do in this situation with the thread issue I pictures.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

Party Pooper!!!! He obviously has a radiant heat issue, not forced air. Exterior atmosphere is not gonna solve the problem. :-) ;-)
chonkie (08-17-2015), plumbdrum (08-17-2015), Redwood (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirveu
The person I talked to at the hardware store wasn't a real employee just looked like a contractor buying plumbing supplies for some job. Regardless of what he said, I obviously did not just go with it, hence me doing further research on here.

I don't know how the putty or the tape works well enough when it starts to impact to know if that damage would mean anything.

Very much interested in you opinion on what you would do in this situation with the thread issue I pictures.
Well, firstly, my research would have revealed, to ME, that this is a forum for professionals only. Based on the results of my research, I would have moved on to a DIY forum! Let me ask you, what is your degree in?
chonkie (08-17-2015), GAN (08-19-2015), plumbdrum (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Hmm, okay, thank you for your very in-depth advice. I do appreciate the slickness of telling me to "get out of here noob" without actually saying it in such a way.

I wonder what you talk about on here since, according to your logically, the answer to every single question should be "Why don't you just call a qualified expert in that field?".

Anyway, you can pat yourself on the back because now I super duper want to call a plumber over and hope one with an attitude like your shows up
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirveu
Hmm, okay, thank you for your very in-depth advice. I do appreciate the slickness of telling me to "get out of here noob" without actually saying it in such a way.

I wonder what you talk about on here since, according to your logically, the answer to every single question should be "Why don't you just call a qualified expert in that field?".

Anyway, you can pat yourself on the back because now I super duper want to call a plumber over and hope one with an attitude like your shows up
And I still wait, holding breath, to hear what YOUR area of expertise is. Don't go getting all cocky now, since ya got slapped on the nose for not paying attention to site rules. I'm guessing your field is one of a superior nature, that feels anyone else's rules are mundane & beneath you. Soooo, I really gotta know what major you received your degree in?!!!!!!!!! I won't be able to sleep without an answer! Please, please tell me.
GAN (08-19-2015), plumbdrum (08-17-2015), Redwood (08-18-2015), Tommy plumber (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

I thought it was easier to show him the door, but this is just as ammusing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
chonkie (08-28-2015), GAN (08-19-2015), Tommy plumber (08-18-2015)
Closed Thread