Cleaning propane torch nuzzle - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree18Likes

Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

View VictorPlumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cleaning propane torch nuzzle

Hello all:

I use Bernzomatic TS8000 torch for my work.

I always cleaned torch nuzzle from solder drips using coat hanger wire having fear of damaging swirling membranes inside.

How do you guys clean your torch nuzzle ?

Thanks
VictorPlumber is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

Not trying to bust her balls here, but in 15 years I have never had to clean a nozzle from solder drips. How close do you get with your torch? I've never had to get so close the solder drips in the nozzle. Also using the correct amount of solder so it sucks into the joint and doesn't drip should help the issue.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chonkie For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Mine is full of solder drips.

Doing repair work - Often soldering/unsoldering inside the walls - have to keep torch close to joint so not to get house on fire.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #4

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

Do you not use a flameguard blanket when soldering in walls? I've used the Millrose ones for awhile and they do a great job, definitely recommended if you haven't used them before. I'm usually having to deal with not starting a fire inside expansion foamed walls.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorPlumber View Post
Mine is full of solder drips.

Doing repair work - Often soldering/unsoldering inside the walls - have to keep torch close to joint so not to get house on fire.

Thanks.

gently heat the nozzle till the solder melts then whip it to fling the molten solder out...if the solder is lose and can pass out on its own then your method is good..
dhal22, Debo22, skoronesa and 2 others like this.
Tommy plumber (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
gently heat the nozzle till the solder melts then whip it to fling the molten solder out...if the solder is lose and can pass out on its own then your method is good..
Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
That's the way to do it BUT ............. you should also tell them to un-screw the nozzle from the torch first and hold with a pliers to gently heat it.
Without taking the nozzle off the head of the torch you run the risk of destroying the self light feature. Believe me there is not much difference from solder melting and burning off the spark wires. Been there done that!
dhal22, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMBER_BILL View Post
That's the way to do it BUT ............. you should also tell them to un-screw the nozzle from the torch first and hold with a pliers to gently heat it.
Without taking the nozzle off the head of the torch you run the risk of destroying the self light feature. Believe me there is not much difference from solder melting and burning off the spark wires. Been there done that!
true, as I did say heat gently..LOL...and you dont want the torch tip connected to a propane bottle as you do this either..BOOM could result..
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Iíve had a ball of solder in mine for years, when I turn my torch upside down to solder a joint the flame gets funky. I shake it a little and the flame goes back to normal. One of these days Iíll try and get it out or buy a new one. Iíve had this torch for 25 years so itís my old faithful and I donít want to get rid of it.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You can disassemble a good portion of it and you can get rig of solder. DO NOT try to disassemble the knob that shuts of the gas. I tried and I found out it's factory assembled. Once you take it apart you break it for good.

You can however dissemble the internal parts of the turbo tip where solder gets stuck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote