Cisterns - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By skoronesa
  • 3 Post By ken53
  • 3 Post By OpenSights

Old 01-04-2020, 12:44 AM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cisterns

Any of you have experience with them. I wrote a post about them in the high efficiency toilet tank thread and was reminded of a gross story.

This old woman(80'-90's) called our shop like 10 years ago. She said that while she couldn't taste much anymore her water tasted funny. She had a spring fed well. The spring bubbled up out of the ground and was funneled into the top of a cistern which had a collapsed wooden lid. I deer fell in. Luckily I was not one of the two guys who had to pull it out. My now manager went with a helper, got a rope around it, and pulled it out with their van.

There is another house I know of with a cistern in the basement fed from the gutters. There is a very nice, dark red with gold pin stripe, antique piston pump hooked up to it that is twinned into the plumbing system along with the submersible pump. Both lines have a check valve on them before they tee together. The piston pump has a check on the inlet too and the breaker and disconnect switches are on. God help those people if the submersible pump fails. That piston pump was used until the new well was drilled less than 30 years ago. I can only imagine how many dead rodents/bugs/things are in that cistern.

OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

I actually had one at a place I owned in the country. They need to be looked after regularly, I shocked ours every second month. We also drained it once a year and cleaned it. Don't forget people entering them need a safety line on them. They are known to be low in Oxygen like wells and septic tanks. Back when I was learning the trade my Journey Man said going in one was like trying out trying out a coffin. The fit can be too good.
sparky, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
ken53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Most older houses have or had cisterns around here, but I’ve never seen one in use. Pretty much all of them were fed by eve troths.

After I bought my house I decided to explore the crawl spaces. Under my kitchen there is a round clay cistern. It’s 4’ at the opening and bells out to about 8’ in diameter and roughly 12’ deep. My son was 4 at the time and I showed it to him. I told him that if continues to need timeouts I would cut a door in the kitchen floor and that would be his timeout spot. He never had another timeout.

When we get a heavy thaw or rain it takes about three days for the water to seep into my Michigan basement.

My neighbors house has three cisterns.
sparky, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote