Child Protective Services - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By goeswiththeflow
  • 2 Post By Tommy plumber
  • 3 Post By Master Mark
  • 2 Post By goeswiththeflow
  • 2 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By alson
  • 3 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By canuck92
  • 2 Post By alson

Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default Child Protective Services

Has anyone ever reported a situation that you've seen on the job to your state's child protection agency? Today I went to one of those homes we see all the time, just absolutely filthy. I'm not just talking clutter, the floors were sticky everywhere, grease all over the stove, bathroom filthy, and every room just stunk of trash and diapers. Clothes everywhere in every room, some clean many dirty. This one had a pair of twins about 2 years old, and an infant not more than a few weeks old. Young single mother, very young, and her mother. Father(s) are not in the picture of course. Hot as hell since the windows were so bad they were all covered with layers of plastic. Apparently it's too much work to take them down every spring and put back again in the fall. No AC, no ventilation. The poor littlest one was uncomfortable the entire time I was there. They appeared to have enough to eat. Mom and grandma were certainly not missing any meals. I have no doubt that they are loved, but the whole situation is still bothering me. I suppose it didn't help that mom threatened one of the 2 year olds with a spanking for not listening to her, as if he can even understand that at that age.
GAN and MASTRPLUMB like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Terrible to see and hear of such situations. I've never seen kids, but I have called senior citizen hotlines {or whatever they are called} to report older folks living in squalid and un-healthy conditions.

I have asked the folks that I was worried about if they eat daily, who takes them shopping, etc. But it's tough to see this stuff.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

You need to wait a few days and then call it in......

I got an old lady on my hit list right now who lives in her own feces with a couple of dogs and it just about made me puke to walk into her home a few weeks ago. The dogs looked like mats or dirty brillo pads walking around in the filth and stench.....

The .toilet upstairs is full of crap to the top and overflowing... tub and sink filled up too.... a main water line burst in-between the floors and pouring down into the kitchen ceiling and down to the basement.....real sweet.... I turned off her main water shut off in the basement and I think she is just turning it on and off as she needs water..... The house is a total loss at this point......... This old lady needs help and someone to do an intervention which I will provide this week......

my wife told me the best way to get a response from the city was to call in the humane society to look into animal abuse..... when they come to check on the dogs they see how badly the place is and then the social services kicks in and they are called out to clean the hell holes....

If their were abused animals in the house she claims it is the most tactful way to proceed.....

just wait a week or two so they dont figure out it was you who called in the hit team.....
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah Mark, it occurred to me to wait. I think I will.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Reporting issues like these and others of serious nature to the authorities is very much needed. I am fortunate enough to not have seen conditions worth reporting. If you see something, say something.

sycamorebob and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-08-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

View alson's Photo Album My Photos

Report it!
I had one that I reported and the daughter called me up a few days later and bit**hed me out for causing trouble, but it was well worth it to get someone to relieve the miserable conditions the elderly mother was living in. she didn't even have a screen door on the entrance, but had to keep the door open because of the summer heat.

Another time I went to a house to do an estimate for the Dept of Social services and the clutter was so bad I could not find the kitchen sink, in fact I couldn't find which room was the kitchen! I called and spoke directly to the social worker. I asked her if she knew about the conditions and when she said "no", I asked when was the last time she had been to the client's house and she said "never".

Help the helpless, maybe save a life. Report it.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alson View Post
Report it!
I had one that I reported and the daughter called me up a few days later and bit**hed me out for causing trouble, but it was well worth it to get someone to relieve the miserable conditions the elderly mother was living in. she didn't even have a screen door on the entrance, but had to keep the door open because of the summer heat.

Another time I went to a house to do an estimate for the Dept of Social services and the clutter was so bad I could not find the kitchen sink, in fact I couldn't find which room was the kitchen! I called and spoke directly to the social worker. I asked her if she knew about the conditions and when she said "no", I asked when was the last time she had been to the client's house and she said "never".

Help the helpless, maybe save a life. Report it.

I agree with you but you could probably think of a better example than not having a screen door lolz.

Debo22, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Its crossed my mind a few times, a building we work in all the time, i went to knock on the managers door an i can hear her from down the hall screeming an swearing at their four year old she opend the door whole apartment is full of dope smoke.
I see stuff like this so much latley, i have no idea where these people are comming from. Its like 50 bus loads of deadbeat welfair meth heads just showed up in our city overnight. Justin trudeau probaby sent them here from toronto.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
canuck92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

View alson's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I agree with you but you could probably think of a better example than not having a screen door lolz.

Not having the screen door was just an example. In effect they really did not have much in the way of plumbing and there was too much wrong to even start to write an estimate. I didn't even make it all the way into the basement since the last few steps were missing, as was the fume pipe for the heater (not uncommon) and the heater was leaking so badly that the floor was fully covered with a few inches of water since the sewer was also plugged.

The lack of a screen door was only emblematic of the terrible condition that the elderly lady was living in. I imagine the daughter was taking the mother's welfare payment and spending it all.
alson is offline   Reply With Quote