Canister style toilet flush valve help. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By Debo22
  • 2 Post By The Dane
  • 2 Post By sparky
  • 2 Post By Debo22

Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Canister style toilet flush valve help.

I have a friend that was asking about having trouble with his toilet not flushing good anymore. I asked if it did not drain right or what the problem is. He says he has to hold down the handle for it to flush properly and that is is a mayfair toilet from Menards. It has one of those kohler canister style flush valves and not the regular flapper. I'm wondering if anyone here has some knowledge about why you have to hold down the handle for it to flush? I'm thinking it might be the water level that needs adjustment or maybe the handle chain but I have not yet had a chance to check it out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Could be a loose handle, the chain on the canister is so short there’s usually no room for error of someone not adjusting it correctly.

Bring a new canister seal, the original red ones are usually gummed up and sticking all over the flush valve seat. The new chlorine resistant ones are yellow.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #3

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
Could be a loose handle, the chain on the canister is so short there’s usually no room for error of someone not adjusting it correctly.

Bring a new canister seal, the original red ones are usually gummed up and sticking all over the flush valve seat. The new chlorine resistant ones are yellow.
Thanks I know what you are saying about their old red and new yellow ones. I actually ended up having time to go over there tonight and just came back. It ended up being some older box store thing and not a kohler style. He already had a bunch of new parts for it and we ended up replacing the tube (smaller canister thing) and I have no clue why but it worked. The old one dropped down too early and did not let a full flush through.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Debo22 and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #4

View sparky's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post

Better off to replace the entire canister rather than just the seal,they not expensive but can be hard to find
Debo22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #5

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Better off to replace the entire canister rather than just the seal,they not expensive but can be hard to find
I carry the post and the seal but not the canister. The tabs on the bottom of the post sometimes break and the bowl fill tube jumps out on the old style posts. They made improvements on the design of the new posts.
sparky and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote