Two failed water heater inspections drip leg - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree22Likes

Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

View panther's Photo Album My Photos
Default Two failed water heater inspections drip leg

The way I have installed drip legs on water heaters is short nipple out of control valve. Tee. 6" drip leg and cap. Gas flex into top of the tee. Gas valve before flex. Was told today on both heaters. Drip leg needs to be before gas shut off valve. Flex after drip leg. Is this new, or have I been doing it wrong for twenty years? One inspection was in county, the other in city. Two separate jurisdictions.
chonkie likes this.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panther For This Useful Post:
89plumbum (11-21-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Makes no sense to me the way they want it. From the tee up it should be union or flex than valve. What is the point of having the valve between the drip leg and the gas control?
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

Los Angeles County has adopted this **** too.
A drip leg techingly in a sediment trap, 3? nipple, tee and a cap. Now it must be before the valve!
Pain in the ass
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatpat For This Useful Post:
OpenSights (11-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatpat View Post
Los Angeles County has adopted this **** too.
A drip leg techingly in a sediment trap, 3? nipple, tee and a cap. Now it must be before the valve!
Pain in the ass
I'm tripping. Wasn't the point of having drip leg after shut off valve so the drip leg could be serviced with shutting the entire house down? I mean, I'm gonna do what I have to to pass inspection. I'm just trying to figure out the logic to the new way. Seems like the way I've been doing it works perfect.
GAN, chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to panther For This Useful Post:
PKDave (05-05-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Makes no sense to me the way they want it. From the tee up it should be union or flex than valve. What is the point of having the valve between the drip leg and the gas control?
You're absolutely correct. It make no sense. I asked several times today with no answer other than, "that's the way we want it now". Mmm, ok.
GAN, OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
You're absolutely correct. It make no sense. I asked several times today with no answer other than, "that's the way we want it now". Mmm, ok.
My Master would ask the inspector to pull out his book and prove it. As Ive said many times, hes an *******, but hes a damn good friend and mentor!
panther and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Shut off valve should be in line upstream of everything else in order to service the other components as you stated Panther. But hey, you're in California right?

This particular set up was in Gainesville, FL. They wanted a tee after the regulator. That is where I had to put a manometer to get my inspection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4220458.JPG (2.88 MB, 265 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Believe it or not, but the city would not accept anything but a U tube manometer. They won't pass a gas line rough-in inspection with a digital manometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4230463.JPG (2.77 MB, 195 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

that is a total joke but if it makes the inspectors feel like they are big shots..in their little neck of the world, then its best to play along with them and let them feel like big shots......

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...11317808110109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #10

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
The way I have installed drip legs on water heaters is short nipple out of control valve. Tee. 6" drip leg and cap. Gas flex into top of the tee. Gas valve before flex. Was told today on both heaters. Drip leg needs to be before gas shut off valve. Flex after drip leg. Is this new, or have I been doing it wrong for twenty years? One inspection was in county, the other in city. Two separate jurisdictions.
Exactly the same order as we do it here. That is pretty much the only way I have seen it done. We do though also go shut off valve, tee with drip leg and then flex appliance connector between the tee and the control valve if we can't make the old hard piped gas line line up with the new heater using just some nipples. We don't thread pipe it just takes too long and is too messy. We can and I have threaded pipe before but as a general standard we just don't do that any more.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
panther and MACPLUMB777 like this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote