Radon gas/radiation & plumbing - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree12Likes

Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Radon gas/radiation & plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
most females have the same thing..LMFAO...

but on a serious note, in my area the ground is almost pure sand, so water drains like no tomorrow, many or all basements just have a hole with a grate over it by the boiler for draining any water and is NOT piped into the plumbing system..
For us now no holes or gaps between the concrete and ground. It has to stop radon gas. Even sump pump pits and pipes have to be sealed 100%. That opens up a can of worms working on existing diy sump pits. There's no way of sealing them unless a full replacement and people are so cheap they expect a 25$ job because they were flooded. They prefer buying a new tv than paying a plumber.

They only hire the CHEAPEST PLUMBER in town because the insurance forces them to have a legit receipt. My sump pump page gets a lot of views from people trying to get info to do it themselves then they call to get dozens of free estimates.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
For us now no holes or gaps between the concrete and ground. It has to stop radon gas. Even sump pump pits and pipes have to be sealed 100%. That opens up a can of worms working on existing diy sump pits. There's no way of sealing them unless a full replacement and people are so cheap they expect a 25$ job because they were flooded. They prefer buying a new tv than paying a plumber.

They only hire the CHEAPEST PLUMBER in town because the insurance forces them to have a legit receipt. My sump pump page gets a lot of views from people trying to get info to do it themselves then they call to get dozens of free estimates.

that radon is another scam ....a whole industry built on BS.....just like the asbestos here..scare the crap out of people and they will spend a fortune for nothing...
Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

You can seal that existing sump pit by removing any existing lid and getting a square of plexiglass bigger than the pit and drill a hole for the pipe and cord and then screwing the plexiglass to the concrete floor with a bead if silicone under it to make the seal.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
GAN and skoronesa like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
You can seal that existing sump pit by removing any existing lid and getting a square of plexiglass bigger than the pit and drill a hole for the pipe and cord and then screwing the plexiglass to the concrete floor with a bead if silicone under it to make the seal.

And you can see through! But I bet it would crack when trying to cut it round.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
And you can see through! But I bet it would crack when trying to cut it round.
We don't cut it round. We get a square in the size we need from the hardware store and then use a holesaw for the hole for the pipe and cord. We pre drill some holes for screws and put it down and then mark up the holes on the floor. Then we remove it and drill the concrete. We put a thick bead of clear silicone around and put the plexiglass back down and screw it in. Admittedly you likely will not get it off again to replace the pump because of the silicone but so far we have not had to remove one. We have only done it that way a few times when radon was an afterthought and we ran the pipe up and out the sidewall in the basement. We don't have radon codes here in the plumbing book but they are working on it since its only in the construction book and very vague.

skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #6

take a read for radon....
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...woDkZyUrRcUcAE
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
I'll make a thread for it.

Anyway I can believe it as we are starting to get a lot of publications, tv shows, the construction code has changed, the plumbing code has changed too, even so the supply house sell sump pits that are now hermetically sealed with rubber grommets. Even not too far away they are digging for whatever radioactive materials for the nuclear power plant.

True or not If don't follow the code by sealing all the openings and someones files a complaint I'm going to pay from my pocket in extremely hefty fines. Trust me we have a lot of granola people around here.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
I'll make a thread for it.

Anyway I can believe it as we are starting to get a lot of publications, tv shows, the construction code has changed, the plumbing code has changed too, even so the supply house sell sump pits that are now hermetically sealed with rubber grommets. Even not too far away they are digging for whatever radioactive materials for the nuclear power plant.

True or not If don't follow the code by sealing all the openings and someones files a complaint I'm going to pay from my pocket in extremely hefty fines. Trust me we have a lot of granola people around here.

just look at the claim of climate change and all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that has been made by taxing or forcing products down the consumers throat..all for a fake happening....and when this kind of money is being made, at least trillions world wide the hoax is well fed by all governments and crazy groups... and radon is just another one of the $$$$$$ makers, just look at all the extra work and product you have to install so someone is making $$$ off of it...
MASTRPLUMB (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

heres an interesting article about asbestos, not so dangerous as some claim it to be, I want to know the real reason it has become such a feared product, my sneaky suspicion is the big oil companies and or other big companies that had insulating products to sell ganged up on asbestos to make it go away...you decide for yourself..
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fQkDDUtsVZhf30
Old 07-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

As for asbestos I know a plumber who was diagnosed with it just a couple years ago, he couldn't go 20 feet before taking a break. I'd have to bring his tool box every day to help him out.

Last month they have banned the last pipes with asbestos. Those were used for rain water leaders. The last 10 years you had to have a hazmat suit and a bubble tent to cut the length you wanted. Not that many companies followed that rule... They are no longer allowed to be sold or installed.
GAN and MASTRPLUMB like this.