Inspectors around here . . . - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree37Likes

Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Inspectors around here . . .

I had a customer ask me to buy their permit for their "addition" basically turning an unconditioned attic space into a master bed/bath suite and they are taking charge of the project themselves.

I told them that they probably need more than just the plumbing permit. Long story short, they got their own permit, and I finished up the rough yesterday and told them to call for an inspection.

I use a boiler drain attached to a tee with a 30# gauge and a fernco coupling to attach it to a 1-1/2 drain line to simulate 10' head on the system. I pressurize slab drains with water. Anyway, this one is complete above floor and through the roof, so I filled it until the vent overflowed water onto the roof using my filling device.

Well, the inspector showed up and the first thing he told them was that the waste lines didn't have any air in them. So I'm getting these panicked calls and all he had to do was tap on the pipe with a car key or something and it would be obvious that it's full if he's ever inspected plumbing in his life On top of that, I told the homeowners the previous day that it was full of water.

Adding a half hour to the bill for dealing with that nonsense. Don't waste my time.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Wow.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

PVC I assume? I don’t think the manufacturers want their product tested with air pressure. An inspector should know that.
chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

inspectors inspect because they cant do..just like teachers teach because they cant do...most inspectors are NOT licensed plumbers and get the job because they know someone politically.....
Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
inspectors inspect because they cant do..just like teachers teach because they cant do...most inspectors are NOT licensed plumbers and get the job because they know someone politically.....
My experience in Oregon was completely different. For YEARS we had people who were retired plumbers working at the county office. They knew their **** inside and out. There was a conflict of interest with this one ******* on many occasions (he was pushing his son's business on jobs that were already awarded to other plumbers) amongst many other things. Now from what I understand they have to get a state inspector to come down from Eugene or something crazy like that.

Down here from what I understand so far these people have no experience in the building trades whatsoever.

Garbage.
GAN, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My experience in Oregon was completely different. For YEARS we had people who were retired plumbers working at the county office. They knew their **** inside and out. There was a conflict of interest with this one ******* on many occasions (he was pushing his son's business on jobs that were already awarded to other plumbers) amongst many other things. Now from what I understand they have to get a state inspector to come down from Eugene or something crazy like that.

Down here from what I understand so far these people have no experience in the building trades whatsoever.

Garbage.

years ago, many years ago , most inspectors were licensed plumbers that knew someone politically, but now the last 20 years it seems most inspectors are not licensed plumbers or even guys that were plumbers, but some political hack that went to 2 weeks of inspector school...lol..
I just had a plumbing inspection a few days ago and the inspector was good and knew his $hit...but I have had inspectors that were clueless and walked around just saying" yeah that looks good" ...I could tell they didnt know what they were looking at..hey sometimes thats good...
but when they knock a job from lack of knowledge is where the problems start...
I had a few inspectors that had a " family business" and asked if he inspects there work..no comment..lol
alot of small villages sub out plumbing inspections to another plumbing company, now I call conflict of interest on that..having your competition inspect your work....
I can see the problem of not enough people in the trade and then how do you get enough inspectors if you dont have enough plumbers, but at least give the inspectors enough training ....
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
years ago, many years ago , most inspectors were licensed plumbers that knew someone politically, but now the last 20 years it seems most inspectors are not licensed plumbers or even guys that were plumbers, but some political hack that went to 2 weeks of inspector school...lol..
I just had a plumbing inspection a few days ago and the inspector was good and knew his $hit...but I have had inspectors that were clueless and walked around just saying" yeah that looks good" ...I could tell they didnt know what they were looking at..hey sometimes thats good...
but when they knock a job from lack of knowledge is where the problems start...
I had a few inspectors that had a " family business" and asked if he inspects there work..no comment..lol
alot of small villages sub out plumbing inspections to another plumbing company, now I call conflict of interest on that..having your competition inspect your work....
I can see the problem of not enough people in the trade and then how do you get enough inspectors if you dont have enough plumbers, but at least give the inspectors enough training ....
Hell, there was a building inspector job open at the city here when I was tossing around the idea of opening a plumbing business. My wife was pushing me a bit to apply for that one because I was so friggin miserable. I don't even know what part of the building it was for, but I didn't want to get involved in that bureaucratic nonsense. I think I ended up making a much better decision. Let the dummies keep being dumb.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I'll take exception to that.

I Started 1977 apprentice, passed my State Exam and licensed in 1981, part time inspecting in 1985 and "still working". Put up tools in 2005 completely to get into office and save my pretty hands . Several certifications along with plumbing license, & EPA license.

No political help to initially get the inspectors job. Simply answered an add in the paper, chosen out of 5 to 8 applicants.

In Illinois you "must" be a licensed plumber to be able to inspect plumbing, we also have certified plumbing inspectors (an additional written test and 12 to 14 hours CEU annually).
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

The inspector we use worked for my Master back in the day. According to my Master, one of his worst plumbers, awesome drain cleaner, but was fried for stealing.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
I'll take exception to that.

I Started 1977 apprentice, passed my State Exam and licensed in 1981, part time inspecting in 1985 and "still working". Put up tools in 2005 completely to get into office and save my pretty hands . Several certifications along with plumbing license, & EPA license.

No political help to initially get the inspectors job. Simply answered an add in the paper, chosen out of 5 to 8 applicants.

In Illinois you "must" be a licensed plumber to be able to inspect plumbing, we also have certified plumbing inspectors (an additional written test and 12 to 14 hours CEU annually).

you are the exception to the norm.....
GAN and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane (10-11-2019)