Inspectors around here . . . - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code


Like Tree37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,401

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Inspectors around here . . .

I had a customer ask me to buy their permit for their "addition" basically turning an unconditioned attic space into a master bed/bath suite and they are taking charge of the project themselves.

I told them that they probably need more than just the plumbing permit. Long story short, they got their own permit, and I finished up the rough yesterday and told them to call for an inspection.

I use a boiler drain attached to a tee with a 30# gauge and a fernco coupling to attach it to a 1-1/2 drain line to simulate 10' head on the system. I pressurize slab drains with water. Anyway, this one is complete above floor and through the roof, so I filled it until the vent overflowed water onto the roof using my filling device.

Well, the inspector showed up and the first thing he told them was that the waste lines didn't have any air in them. So I'm getting these panicked calls and all he had to do was tap on the pipe with a car key or something and it would be obvious that it's full if he's ever inspected plumbing in his life On top of that, I told the homeowners the previous day that it was full of water.


Adding a half hour to the bill for dealing with that nonsense. Don't waste my time.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dhal22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,442

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Wow.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 420

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos
Default

PVC I assume? I don’t think the manufacturers want their product tested with air pressure. An inspector should know that.
chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

inspectors inspect because they cant do..just like teachers teach because they cant do...most inspectors are NOT licensed plumbers and get the job because they know someone politically.....
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,401

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
inspectors inspect because they cant do..just like teachers teach because they cant do...most inspectors are NOT licensed plumbers and get the job because they know someone politically.....
My experience in Oregon was completely different. For YEARS we had people who were retired plumbers working at the county office. They knew their **** inside and out. There was a conflict of interest with this one ******* on many occasions (he was pushing his son's business on jobs that were already awarded to other plumbers) amongst many other things. Now from what I understand they have to get a state inspector to come down from Eugene or something crazy like that.

Down here from what I understand so far these people have no experience in the building trades whatsoever.

Garbage.
GAN, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My experience in Oregon was completely different. For YEARS we had people who were retired plumbers working at the county office. They knew their **** inside and out. There was a conflict of interest with this one ******* on many occasions (he was pushing his son's business on jobs that were already awarded to other plumbers) amongst many other things. Now from what I understand they have to get a state inspector to come down from Eugene or something crazy like that.

Down here from what I understand so far these people have no experience in the building trades whatsoever.

Garbage.

years ago, many years ago , most inspectors were licensed plumbers that knew someone politically, but now the last 20 years it seems most inspectors are not licensed plumbers or even guys that were plumbers, but some political hack that went to 2 weeks of inspector school...lol..
I just had a plumbing inspection a few days ago and the inspector was good and knew his $hit...but I have had inspectors that were clueless and walked around just saying" yeah that looks good" ...I could tell they didnt know what they were looking at..hey sometimes thats good...
but when they knock a job from lack of knowledge is where the problems start...
I had a few inspectors that had a " family business" and asked if he inspects there work..no comment..lol
alot of small villages sub out plumbing inspections to another plumbing company, now I call conflict of interest on that..having your competition inspect your work....
I can see the problem of not enough people in the trade and then how do you get enough inspectors if you dont have enough plumbers, but at least give the inspectors enough training ....
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,401

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
years ago, many years ago , most inspectors were licensed plumbers that knew someone politically, but now the last 20 years it seems most inspectors are not licensed plumbers or even guys that were plumbers, but some political hack that went to 2 weeks of inspector school...lol..
I just had a plumbing inspection a few days ago and the inspector was good and knew his $hit...but I have had inspectors that were clueless and walked around just saying" yeah that looks good" ...I could tell they didnt know what they were looking at..hey sometimes thats good...
but when they knock a job from lack of knowledge is where the problems start...
I had a few inspectors that had a " family business" and asked if he inspects there work..no comment..lol
alot of small villages sub out plumbing inspections to another plumbing company, now I call conflict of interest on that..having your competition inspect your work....
I can see the problem of not enough people in the trade and then how do you get enough inspectors if you dont have enough plumbers, but at least give the inspectors enough training ....
Hell, there was a building inspector job open at the city here when I was tossing around the idea of opening a plumbing business. My wife was pushing me a bit to apply for that one because I was so friggin miserable. I don't even know what part of the building it was for, but I didn't want to get involved in that bureaucratic nonsense. I think I ended up making a much better decision. Let the dummies keep being dumb.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
GAN
Super Moderator
 
GAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 2,047

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
inspectors inspect because they cant do..just like teachers teach because they cant do...most inspectors are NOT licensed plumbers and get the job because they know someone politically.....
I'll take exception to that.

I Started 1977 apprentice, passed my State Exam and licensed in 1981, part time inspecting in 1985 and "still working". Put up tools in 2005 completely to get into office and save my pretty hands . Several certifications along with plumbing license, & EPA license.

No political help to initially get the inspectors job. Simply answered an add in the paper, chosen out of 5 to 8 applicants.


In Illinois you "must" be a licensed plumber to be able to inspect plumbing, we also have certified plumbing inspectors (an additional written test and 12 to 14 hours CEU annually).
__________________
Il. Lic.# 058-106725, Il. C.C.D.I. Lic. # XCO396
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan;
I do whenever I hear the ceol mor,
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,513

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The inspector we use worked for my Master back in the day. According to my Master, one of his worst plumbers, awesome drain cleaner, but was fried for stealing.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
I'll take exception to that.

I Started 1977 apprentice, passed my State Exam and licensed in 1981, part time inspecting in 1985 and "still working". Put up tools in 2005 completely to get into office and save my pretty hands . Several certifications along with plumbing license, & EPA license.

No political help to initially get the inspectors job. Simply answered an add in the paper, chosen out of 5 to 8 applicants.


In Illinois you "must" be a licensed plumber to be able to inspect plumbing, we also have certified plumbing inspectors (an additional written test and 12 to 14 hours CEU annually).



you are the exception to the norm.....
GAN and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
The Dane (10-11-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com