Indirect drain for boiler ? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By dkonrai
  • 3 Post By GAN

Old 11-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

View dkonrai's Photo Album My Photos
Default Indirect drain for boiler ?

Long story short.
Roof top boiler. Mechanical guy had to relocate about 50 feet from plan.
Boiler, and closed loop has 3/4 inch relief valves.
Boiler drain is 1 1/4.
Is it better to run a 2 inch line, 90 up to a receptacle? Or run seperate, boiler drain, boiler relief, closed loop relief?
Per plan I have installed a roof receptacle that has a 2 inch dam, and a 3/4 make up protected by a rpbfp.
Or run all seperate lines?
Never run into a situation like this in all my years.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
dkonrai is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Wow. First take a step back. If you installed per the "Approved Drawings", I would not alter it without a "Licensed Design Professional" (Architect or Engineer). Most locations an alteration without an approved change of work order leaves you in a position you don't want to be in.

If no drawings were provided and this is an as-built situation, there is still a question. For instance if this was just a swap out form an old to new unit (without a set of drawings) you have more leeway. To me in (Illinois) a condensate type drain is not required to terminate into a receptor on a roof. It can discharge on a roof and evaporate or run to scuppers. Since your looking at a temp issue, you need a receptor to deal with heat.

I would cut into the roof an install a floor sink, trap & vent it next to the unit. Then run all indirect into it. You mention an R.P.Z., not knowing you location. We are mandated to install those not more than 5" AFF, unless there is a walkway and discharge the relief onto a floor (providing a FD is in the same area) or indirect into a receptor.

Not knowing you area installing on outside I hope your not in an area subject to freezing, unless you utilize a hot box. Or install within the building mech room and run the line clearly marked non-potable water.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote