How much has the UPC changed since 2003? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

View Dan.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default How much has the UPC changed since 2003?

Hello everyone,
I got my hands on the 2003 Uniform Plumbing Code, along with the training manual, for free.
I was wondering if it was a good idea to study this edition, while I save up some money for the newer edition?
Has the code changed significantly since 2003?
Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan. View Post
Hello everyone,
I got my hands on the 2003 Uniform Plumbing Code, along with the training manual, for free.
I was wondering if it was a good idea to study this edition, while I save up some money for the newer edition?
I'm not sure but I don't believe they normally have many big changes. Here in ND we will be adopting the 2018 UPC next year but right now we are still on the 2009. I would find out what edition is the current one you work under and if it's not too old then it will probably last a while longer before they adopt a newer one. If that is the case then I would just go ahead and buy the new one.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

DAN You also want to get a copy of the L.A. Amendments,

go here http://www.buildersbook.com/
in Canoga Park
2018 Uniform Plumbing Code Soft Cover w/Tabs $139.45
QuickPass™ 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)ģ Study Guide - DOWNLOAD $62.95
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 02:38 AM   #4

View Dan.'s Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the info and the links
Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:59 AM   #5
Plumbing since 1974

View breplum's Photo Album My Photos

Search online and you can find city of Benicia free PDF of significant changes
One thing that IS changed is in 2010 and later California Plumbing Code is section 908.2 horizontal wet venting for bathroom groups. In 2010 they used "where permitted".
The 2016 code simply allows horizontal wet venting with no preamble about jurisdiction authority. Still, make sure before you attempt for the first time.
Details re CSST and PEX of course.
When running underground PEX and using preformed PVC sleeves, the material of the sleeve must be "approved for potable water use in soil". I'm still incredulous that you're not supposed to run in schedule 80 PVC for electrical in those beautiful sweeps that are premade. I have done it and I've had inspectors let me keep it, but have been warned. See CPC Chapter 6 Table 604.1 footnote number 2
If you can find me via email on the web search I can share more in an email

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

925 283-3408
breplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

View dmbackflow's Photo Album My Photos

One often missed item is "Insulation Requirements" per 2015 UPC 609.11.1: "Domestic hot water piping shall be insulated." This is still a requirement per the CA Energy Code, but is in now in the UPC. The codes don't differentiate between pipe material, so despite having greater thermal resistance than copper, plastic piping (e.g. PEX, CPVC) still require insulation.
dmbackflow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmbackflow For This Useful Post:
breplum (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbackflow View Post
One often missed item is "Insulation Requirements" per 2015 UPC 609.11.1: "Domestic hot water piping shall be insulated." This is still a requirement per the CA Energy Code, but is in now in the UPC. The codes don't differentiate between pipe material, so despite having greater thermal resistance than copper, plastic piping (e.g. PEX, CPVC) still require insulation.
I only insulate the hot water when thereís a circulating pump. Then itís just the trunk and return line. I did have inspection on a repipe a year ago (no circ pump) and the inspector called me on it, but he only wanted the kitchen sink line insulated. Maybe the trunk too, I donít remember. He didnít care about bathroom branches.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

View callmemaster's Photo Album My Photos
Default of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan. View Post
Hello everyone,
of course it has and with that kinda thinking ur doomed to fail ur test for sure
callmemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

View roving plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Anyone using an E-version of the UPC? I'm looking to get the latest version and will probably get one I can download to a tablet. I don't know anyone who has I'm curious how it is to navigate or look up specifics
roving plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

View callmemaster's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
I only insulate the hot water when there’s a circulating pump. Then it’s just the trunk and return line. I did have inspection on a repipe a year ago (no circ pump) and the inspector called me on it, but he only wanted the kitchen sink line insulated. Maybe the trunk too, I don’t remember. He didn’t care about bathroom branches.
no such term as "trunk" when talking about water distribution. i`m thinking we need to open a forum titled; "basic plumbing terms and definitions". just saying. 1 of the biggest problems facing experienced plumbers is having a discussion with someone who doesnt use the necessary/proper language. an elephant has a trunk; is that what u were referring too ? j/k j/k
callmemaster is offline   Reply With Quote