Grease interceptors western canada - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree7Likes

Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Grease interceptors western canada

For the guys out west ( canada )N.P.C in a nutshell says grease interceptors can be used as a trap as long as the fixture outlet pipe doesnt exceed 1.2 m
So that makes me wonder if single family dwellings require grease interceptors for kitchen sinks. Our ontario code is different for this subject. Whats the point of a point of use grease trap unless its for a house...
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Commercial cooking establishments, ice cream places, meeting packing any place that cooks or cleans up grease or fat laden foods.

It can form the trap, downside in this instance is you will get the smell of the interceptor back in the building.

You can place a trap in between the sink & interceptor providing it is vented. The primary reason you do this is to keep smell down and making it less likely to have a backup when the flow restrictor is installed.

Most of the lower 40 areas I don't believe will require a grease interceptor in a residential application.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
canuckPlumBbob

Aright, only reason why i care is cause i spent 6 years using the ontario code book an my red seal exam in a few weeks is the national, just figuring out all the differences...
GAN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #4

View Diddle's Photo Album My Photos

Commercial cooking establishments, ice cream places, meeting packing any place that cooks or cleans up grease or fat laden foods.

It can form the trap, downside in this instance is you will get the smell of the interceptor back in the building.

You can place a trap in between the sink & interceptor providing it is vented. The primary reason you do this is to keep smell down and making it less likely to have a backup when the flow restrictor is installed.

As far as I know, this is the National Code! Trap upstream with a vent and then a vent after the interceptor. I completed my Red Seal in Ontario, annoyed me then and still does now that there are separate provincial code books.
GAN and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Diddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

You should see it south of the border.

Some States require a particular code, others don't. Then some alter the UPC or IPC. Some municipalities add addendums.

Let alone between 10 inspectors you may get 3 different interpretations.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GAN For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (04-13-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
canuckPlumBbob

I ended up just buyin the national lol
Says you can use a double wye with fitted 45's on the horizontal. Air break not only min 25mm but also equal to the pipe size. Min distance cleaouts off the floor on a stack or leader is 3m not 1m lol ( wtf thats like 9ft ) min distance between a building sewer an first manhole is 75m not 30 m...some other stuff too. Man am i glad i bought this i would be confident in wrong answers...writing this friday
Old 09-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #7

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddle View Post

As far as I know, this is the National Code! Trap upstream with a vent and then a vent after the interceptor. I completed my Red Seal in Ontario, annoyed me then and still does now that there are separate provincial code books.
I second this!
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #8

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Says you can use a double wye with fitted 45's on the horizontal. Air break not only min 25mm but also equal to the pipe size. Min distance cleaouts off the floor on a stack or leader is 3m not 1m lol ( wtf thats like 9ft ) min distance between a building sewer an first manhole is 75m not 30 m...some other stuff too. Man am i glad i bought this i would be confident in wrong answers...writing this friday
Study the NPC for your red seal, but know and understand OPC for your daily work.
The most annoying thing is the measurements in the Canadian Plumbing code are metric, and some plans but materials/fittings etc in the industry are mostly imperial.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
Quote:
Study the NPC for your red seal, but know and understand OPC for your daily work.
The most annoying thing is the measurements in the Canadian Plumbing code are metric, and some plans but materials/fittings etc in the industry are mostly imperial.
Wrote an passed first attempt. A little bit ago, No G.I questions either
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

View callmemaster's Photo Album My Photos
Default no

Quote:
Aright, only reason why i care is cause i spent 6 years using the ontario code book an my red seal exam in a few weeks is the national, just figuring out all the differences...
the worst thing any code test taker can do is muddle up their thinking by introducing codes outside their requirements. makes no good sense whatsoever. i can only imagine that ur taking ur simple journeymans test and not ur masters
callmemaster is offline   Reply With Quote