Failed heater inspection. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Code

Like Tree67Likes

Old 04-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default Failed heater inspection.

We replaced a water heater in a rental a few weeks ago. Usually we are present for inspection unless it’s something simple like a heater or laundry at a rental.

We have two inspectors in this one city, inspector A and inspector B. Inspector A is a moron and can’t seem to figure out how to use a phone in order return a call, inspector B had to take the Master test ten times and was fired by my Master years ago for stealing (also one of my Master’s worst plumber, but awesome drain cleaner).

We prefer inspector B because we can at least get a call back. This particular LL likes inspector A.

So inspector A shows up a half hour late. Says to the LL “Oh, you’re the LL. Sorry, my computer has issues and had to drop it off at IT. All I know is the address and the plumber who pulled the permit. What am I hear to inspect?”

LL: “Water heater”

Inspector A: “Oh, I hope he did his math!”

WTF????

We install to code. 4” vent, plastic drip tube secured to the heater (instead of burning up a flat mickey we 45 the bottom and secure it with a zip screw, like a laundry stand pipe). First thing inspector A does is yank on it real hard. Not once but twice. Then he kicks the heater up to max to check the vent draw. “Yep, it’s good.” Turns it back down and sticks his hand in the vent hood. “I can’t pass this. He used a 3” vent hood.”

LL: “So what do we need to do?”

Inspector A: “He (the plumber) needs to figure it out.” When LL asks what he means... “I haven’t bought a heater in 12 years, he’ll just have to figure it out.”

I don’t know about any of you, but neither my Master nor I have ever seen seen a 4” only vent hood. Besides, manufacture specs supersedes code. Right after we met with the LL on a different job we had to stop by the supply house for tomorrow’s job and asked if they had ever heard of one. Nope.

We’ve butted heads with this idiot in the past.

One example was an RO system we put in. We protected the RO system that fed three coffee makers with air gaps. (Specialty coffee, not like gas station coffee makers.) He made us protect each fixture.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Cripes, good thing we don't have them, and stupid. When and if we ever see one they will end up filing in complaint paperwork.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Cripes, good thing we don't have them, and stupid. When and if we ever see one they will end up filing in complaint paperwork.
You don’t have inspectors??!!?!! Really? The official who determines if the plumbing work was performed in compliance with the health and safety of the nation... they don’t inspect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
You don’t have inspectors??!!?!! Really? The official who determines if the plumbing work was performed in compliance with the health and safety of the nation... they don’t inspect?
I said it many times, no inspectors, the government doesn't have the budget or something.

On big jobs usually the engineer who made the plans who inspects but not always. New residential nothing.

You should see how many corners are cut. You cut corners you get to keep your job in most cases. You as a plumber who tries to follow code amongst all other employees you are the first to get laid off. Time is money!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Mirror. $125 us for a heater permit. All about the money here.
mtfallsmikey likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (04-11-2019), mtfallsmikey (04-23-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Mirror. $125 us for a heater permit. All about the money here.
What about the homeowner and he does it himself? I bet he doesn't need to pay that.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
What about the homeowner and he does it himself? I bet he doesn't need to pay that.
Legally HO permit. I didn’t.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #8

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

The draft hood comes with the W/H from the mfg. and it will fit either 3" or 4". I don't install a lot, but I've seen this on all the recent installs that I've done. Is that what he's picking on?
OpenSights likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

I am glad that this city and state does not require
permits to change out a simple water heater........it would raise
the price dramatically and waste a whole lot of time ....

The plumber would be punished but the guy who goes to a hardware
store and buys his own would get away with doing it himself.....

it is Just something else to make work and collect fees for

the inspectors in our area do not know what they are doing and
someday I would LOVE to have a position going around inspecting
jobs.... but I would probably not last long....

OpenSights, skoronesa and Tango like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

The plumber would be punished but the guy who goes to a hardware
store and buys his own would get away with doing it himself.....

That's what it is here, plumbing contractors are supposed to send in 22$ for a water heater. The home owner doesn't need to. I'd be surprised if any company sends that money in.

The ascociation has been asking the ministry to remove that fee for a while. The elected had promised they would remove it but didn't.