Working for a big company or going out on your own? Help ! - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree14Likes

Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

View AlabamaPlumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Working for a big company or going out on your own? Help !

I am been a plumber for 15 years and I recently got my masters so that I could chase my dream of having my own plumbing business. Currently , I work at a large , well known, company here in Alabama. I make a good living and I have a ton of repeat customers already. My question is , should I stick with the company and only make 32% commission or should I go out on my own . Do I really want the stress of my own business? I put the food on the table for my wife and kids so I really do not what to screw up.
Any advice is appreciated !
AlabamaPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

do both..keep working for the company and on your day off and weekends do your own customers, and see in time if it looks promising for you , talk with your boss to see if they would do a part time gig for you...its not all roses owning your own company..many times the grass is greener on the other side..but if you can do both for a while and yes you wont have time of your own , but will get a taste of running your own business with the security of your main job, do this for 6 months, because when you have your own business in the beginning you will grab all you can get until you get established with good clients that do repeat business...
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

My company does not allow their employees to do side jobs. I do it though. I have several customers who call on a regular basis . If I were to get caught I could be fired however I take the chance because I am a top producer and Ive seen other employees do worse and not be fired.LOL They are actually already expecting me to go into my own business because of the cliental I have with them. My of my jobs are customer requests. It's exciting to think about ranking in all of the money instead of just a portion of it but since I have a family to support it is daunting .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

If you want to do it so you can 'rake in all the money' do yourself a favor and stay put.
plbgbiz likes this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

By that I meant instead of making someone else rich or well off . I do all of the work while my over head travels the country. I appreciate them . I really do and I will not say anything negative about them. I'm missing out on my family because I'm working 60+ hours a week. If i have my own business I know that I will still work long hours but I'll have a little more control . Also, I'm well aware that I will take an income loss starting out.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

just have at least 6 months plus of bill money saved up till you get going...
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #7

Good advice. Thank you
Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

it depends on the kind of money you are presently making...
if you have medical benefits, ect ect..

you can have both if you play your cards right...just do your side jobs on Satruday....eventually you might notice you made more from the Sat work
than you made all week long..... Then Its a dilemma to decide what to do..........

I rake in pretty good money even on a slow day but some day this one man show will close down and there will be nothing to show for it but a building full of junk.....

Plumbergeek likes this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #9

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Go for it, I've been on my own for 5 years now and it's awesome. Leave the company on good terms and if it doesn't work out for you solo they'll hire you back since you said you're a top producer. If not, it's very easy to find a job in this industry.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:03 AM   #10

Great advice . Thank you all. No benefits through my current job. Health insurance is ridiculously high so it's cheaper to go with a private plan. So I definitely won't be losing insurance. I would definitely leave on good terms. I think my plan is to do side work on my days off. My wife and I are discussing how to go about the financial part of it all. Do we go into debt buying a truck and equipment or do we just do a little at a time ? I have every tool needed except for the bigger stuff. I would definitely want a leak detection machine. I'm the only plumber at my company that does that and there are not too many plumbers around my area with it so I think it is worth the investment. Could y'all share some details as to how y'all started your business?