What's wrong with Googles math? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

View ruddiger's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's wrong with Googles math?

I'm no mathematician, but finding averages is pretty easy. Recently I've been asking my customers to leave a Google review and so far I have 5 reviews all rated 5 stars. That averages to, you guessed it, 5 stars average. Well, according to Google, it's 4.8. Does anyone know how Google arrives at that number? In the case of Google you would add the total number of stars and divide it by the number of reviews. So 5 - 5 star reviews would total 25 stars divided by 5 reviews and give an average of 5. Not 4.8. Anyone care to enlighten me?
ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddiger View Post
I'm no mathematician, but finding averages is pretty easy. Recently I've been asking my customers to leave a Google review and so far I have 5 reviews all rated 5 stars. That averages to, you guessed it, 5 stars average. Well, according to Google, it's 4.8. Does anyone know how Google arrives at that number? In the case of Google you would add the total number of stars and divide it by the number of reviews. So 5 - 5 star reviews would total 25 stars divided by 5 reviews and give an average of 5. Not 4.8. Anyone care to enlighten me?
It's based on reviews from around the web like Yelp, BB, etc.

Also, its based on the quality of reviewers. Google knows if you be trying to spam them or if one of your reviewer is a spammer.

Google is free, yet I see more complaints about it than with paid ads. Google knows it is offering a free service, so if we don't like it, pull the freaking ad. No skin off their backs..
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Interesting. That explanation makes sense, but my reviews on yelp and bbb are also 5 star rated so I'm still not sure how that would average to 4.8. Google is the beast I love to hate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Water Whisperer

Quote:
Interesting. That explanation makes sense, but my reviews on yelp and bbb are also 5 star rated so I'm still not sure how that would average to 4.8. Google is the beast I love to hate.
You have to go deeper, maybe. There are reviews all over the internet.

Also, google your name and go page by page to verify all your info is correct. I mean, 100 pages into the internet. Correct any mistakes, but beware of Yext.

I see google punishing bad behavior, too. A company I know hired a sleaze SEO fellow who slandered other companies and posted fake reviews on his clients site.

Google found out and pulled all the posts and to this day, 5 years later, that plumber hasn't gone above 4.8.

Lots goes into the rating and it isn't all computer generated. Google is people-oriented to the max.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddiger
Plumber is wrong about the third party reviews. Your overall rating is 4.8 because you only have 5 reviews. You just need a few more to get the 5.0.
plumberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #6

View Green Country's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberkc View Post
Plumber is wrong about the third party reviews. Your overall rating is 4.8 because you only have 5 reviews. You just need a few more to get the 5.0.
That is correct. I was in the same boat a while back. Once I got to 10 or so it finally went to 5.0.

I searched the web and found something along the lines of they don't feel that such a small number of reviews can be representative of your true worth and that surely you must suck just a little!

Keep asking for reviews. I forget quite a bit, but the best way to get reviews is to ask. I usually just casually mention it as I'm leaving and if they ask how to do it I'll show them real quick.
Green Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Water Whisperer

Could be wrong, but probably not.

You're thinking about the short period of time after they changed the rule from 10 reviews to 5 for the stars to show.

Other factors as simple as his Google My Business pages aren't complete or inaccurate.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

Ya, after I searched my name a little more I discovered more reviews I wasn't aware of. They're also 5 star rated so plumbers explanation didn't jive. Local competition with 10 stars averages correctly, so I guses I gotta get a few more reviews. Google must use common core math
Old 04-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Former Moderator

View Phat Cat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Ya, after I searched my name a little more I discovered more reviews I wasn't aware of. They're also 5 star rated so plumbers explanation didn't jive. Local competition with 10 stars averages correctly, so I guses I gotta get a few more reviews. Google must use common core math
Lol - common core math!
Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #10
Water Whisperer

Quote:
Sorry about the shorthand posts...I'm still trying to take this internet thing seriously.

Google uses the Zagat Restaurant review system. Google bought Zagat a few years ago and the next day converted the old rating system to Zagist.

For more info than that, Google it.