Starting a successful Plumbing Business :thumbup: - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree35Likes

Old 03-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

View jaydenb's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Starting a successful Plumbing Business :thumbup:

Hi guys, I am ready to take my master's test (just waiting for the virus to go away before I can schedule a time) and I want to start my own residential plumbing business after I pass.

I have never owned a business of any sort before but I have been in the plumbing industry for 6 years.
I don't want to fall flat on my face
starting my own company.

Those of you who have started and maintained a successful plumbing business are there any tips you can give me on where to start and what to look out for? Do you have a checklist of sorts of things I need to do or get before/after starting? Any info would be much appreciated.

thank you!
jaydenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Here read this, it's a good starting point and then read all the posts from 12 years ago in the business area.

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f4/i-wa...g-naive-85792/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
jaydenb (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydenb View Post
Hi guys, I am ready to take my master's test (just waiting for the virus to go away before I can schedule a time) and I want to start my own residential plumbing business after I pass.

I have never owned a business of any sort before but I have been in the plumbing industry for 6 years.
I don't want to fall flat on my face
starting my own company.

Those of you who have started and maintained a successful plumbing business are there any tips you can give me on where to start and what to look out for? Do you have a checklist of sorts of things I need to do or get before/after starting? Any info would be much appreciated.

thank you!

thats been covered many times, just do alittle research here, if you have specific questions then ask, but noone is going to go from start to finish on how to run a business everytime someone asks, you have to put some effort into devising a business plan and then present it for evaluation here..
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

It's about 75% business and 25% plumbing.
You have to learn how to be an accountant, a negotiator, a babysitter, a politician, a lawyer, a psychologist and an actor.
It is hard work being the boss. You will have to work harder and longer than your employees, not less, at least for the first years.
Good luck. You'll need it. There are rewards to be sure, but they are hard won.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #5

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

as a business owner, i frown on guys that do side jobs. for your sake, i hope you did enough of them to know what you are in for. not saying that in a good or bad way. it kind of gives you a taste of whats coming. (i did side jobs for years before i was forced to go on my own) ps, i had insurance for it as well.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #6

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
as a business owner, i frown on guys that do side jobs. for your sake, i hope you did enough of them to know what you are in for. not saying that in a good or bad way. it kind of gives you a taste of whats coming. (i did side jobs for years before i was forced to go on my own) ps, i had insurance for it as well.
Wait, so are you telling us that side jobs were ok when you were doing them but now that you are a business owner and the one losing work because of it. It is all of a sudden frowned upon?

Double standards hmm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
skoronesa and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Wait, so are you telling us that side jobs were ok when you were doing them but now that you are a business owner and the one losing work because of it. It is all of a sudden frowned upon?

Double standards hmm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
i frown upon them because most guys that are doing them are uninsured. at the old shop, a guy blew up a house doing one and wanted the companies insurance to cover it. another reason is that the guys were moonlighting for less than $20 per hour. thats whoring out our trade. I know a lot of guys that didnt get paid. no contract. it can be a great learning experience.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
i frown upon them because most guys that are doing them are uninsured. at the old shop, a guy blew up a house doing one and wanted the companies insurance to cover it. another reason is that the guys were moonlighting for less than $20 per hour. thats whoring out our trade. I know a lot of guys that didnt get paid. no contract. it can be a great learning experience.

ill agree with the insurance ..before I had my plumbing license I incorporated as a construction company with all needed insurances and had a few licensed plumbers that would pull permits if I needed them.. this was while I still worked for a plumber..then I slowly transitioned from working full time for a guy to part time and then on my own, when I got my own plumbing license I dropped the construction incorporation and incorporated a plumbing company.....but never did I work for cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I might have used whores but was never one myself...
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

View jeffreyplumber's Photo Album My Photos

So many variables . I guess make sure you got money in the bank. I dont know if your starting out one man? Service work? There is more than one way to make this buisness work. I started out doing nothing but new custom homes, me and a partner . but thats changed over the years, a couple years I did almost exclusively nothing but water heaters , cook tops and ovens It was a contract with the gas company. Ive advertised Ive all word of mouth Good times and slim times . Best wishes ! I think what most of us need to work on is how to run the buisness . we know how to do the work, but thats just part of it
jeffreyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #10

i started my shop because of my love for the trade and my love for money. my least favorite part has always been the office end of it. i would love to get bigger but that means more office work for me.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.