Starting a successful Plumbing Business :thumbup: - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales


Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 5

View jaydenb's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Starting a successful Plumbing Business :thumbup:

Hi guys, I am ready to take my master's test (just waiting for the virus to go away before I can schedule a time) and I want to start my own residential plumbing business after I pass.

I have never owned a business of any sort before but I have been in the plumbing industry for 6 years.
I don't want to fall flat on my face
starting my own company.

Those of you who have started and maintained a successful plumbing business are there any tips you can give me on where to start and what to look out for? Do you have a checklist of sorts of things I need to do or get before/after starting? Any info would be much appreciated.

thank you!
jaydenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Québec
Posts: 6,645

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Here read this, it's a good starting point and then read all the posts from 12 years ago in the business area.

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f4/i-wa...g-naive-85792/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
jaydenb (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,992

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydenb View Post
Hi guys, I am ready to take my master's test (just waiting for the virus to go away before I can schedule a time) and I want to start my own residential plumbing business after I pass.

I have never owned a business of any sort before but I have been in the plumbing industry for 6 years.
I don't want to fall flat on my face
starting my own company.

Those of you who have started and maintained a successful plumbing business are there any tips you can give me on where to start and what to look out for? Do you have a checklist of sorts of things I need to do or get before/after starting? Any info would be much appreciated.

thank you!

thats been covered many times, just do alittle research here, if you have specific questions then ask, but noone is going to go from start to finish on how to run a business everytime someone asks, you have to put some effort into devising a business plan and then present it for evaluation here..
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
3rd year apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Where it gets cold.
Posts: 367

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It's about 75% business and 25% plumbing.
You have to learn how to be an accountant, a negotiator, a babysitter, a politician, a lawyer, a psychologist and an actor.
It is hard work being the boss. You will have to work harder and longer than your employees, not less, at least for the first years.
Good luck. You'll need it. There are rewards to be sure, but they are hard won.
__________________
Fighting the good fight, piping the good pipe.
goeswiththeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,123

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default

as a business owner, i frown on guys that do side jobs. for your sake, i hope you did enough of them to know what you are in for. not saying that in a good or bad way. it kind of gives you a taste of whats coming. (i did side jobs for years before i was forced to go on my own) ps, i had insurance for it as well.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
The Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 1,068

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
as a business owner, i frown on guys that do side jobs. for your sake, i hope you did enough of them to know what you are in for. not saying that in a good or bad way. it kind of gives you a taste of whats coming. (i did side jobs for years before i was forced to go on my own) ps, i had insurance for it as well.
Wait, so are you telling us that side jobs were ok when you were doing them but now that you are a business owner and the one losing work because of it. It is all of a sudden frowned upon?

Double standards hmm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
skoronesa and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,123

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Wait, so are you telling us that side jobs were ok when you were doing them but now that you are a business owner and the one losing work because of it. It is all of a sudden frowned upon?

Double standards hmm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
i frown upon them because most guys that are doing them are uninsured. at the old shop, a guy blew up a house doing one and wanted the companies insurance to cover it. another reason is that the guys were moonlighting for less than $20 per hour. thats whoring out our trade. I know a lot of guys that didnt get paid. no contract. it can be a great learning experience.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,992

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
i frown upon them because most guys that are doing them are uninsured. at the old shop, a guy blew up a house doing one and wanted the companies insurance to cover it. another reason is that the guys were moonlighting for less than $20 per hour. thats whoring out our trade. I know a lot of guys that didnt get paid. no contract. it can be a great learning experience.

ill agree with the insurance ..before I had my plumbing license I incorporated as a construction company with all needed insurances and had a few licensed plumbers that would pull permits if I needed them.. this was while I still worked for a plumber..then I slowly transitioned from working full time for a guy to part time and then on my own, when I got my own plumbing license I dropped the construction incorporation and incorporated a plumbing company.....but never did I work for cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I might have used whores but was never one myself...
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: highland ca
Posts: 524

View jeffreyplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default

So many variables . I guess make sure you got money in the bank. I dont know if your starting out one man? Service work? There is more than one way to make this buisness work. I started out doing nothing but new custom homes, me and a partner . but thats changed over the years, a couple years I did almost exclusively nothing but water heaters , cook tops and ovens It was a contract with the gas company. Ive advertised Ive all word of mouth Good times and slim times . Best wishes ! I think what most of us need to work on is how to run the buisness . we know how to do the work, but thats just part of it
jeffreyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,123

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default

i started my shop because of my love for the trade and my love for money. my least favorite part has always been the office end of it. i would love to get bigger but that means more office work for me.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com