Spiff or referral fee - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree48Likes

Old 06-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spiff or referral fee

Iíve been referring our local Mr. Rooter for jet jobs. I know their main drain tech, great guy, knows what heís doing, and reasonable prices. I get complaints once in a while from customers who request Dean, and get some sh!tshow newbie! Iíve heard of a new drain company that went all out from the start and so far have a good reputation.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but wanted to start a thread asking everyone how they operate when it comes to referrals. If I refer my excavation company I let the customer pay them for their work, and pay for mine. I have a solid customer base. They trust me.

When my Master sends me a job, I give him $25 as a thank you. Usually a one time gift... after that, theyíre also my customer. I have a friend who is also a one man show and we send each other jobs when we have one we just canít get to. We donít hi jack customers, just get them taken care of.

So this new jet company gives referral fees, cool, knew that up front. Nothing but good reports so far. I know of two jobs that they did out of three, the third canceled. I donít know what they charge, but they sent me a check for $147.36. Donít know how they come up with the number, must be %?

I know I should buy a jetter, but had to buy a new 300, $750 for new everything front breaks On the cube and looking at having my camera head rebuilt.....
skoronesa and Venomthirst like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #2

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Iíve been referring our local Mr. Rooter for jet jobs. I know their main drain tech, great guy, knows what heís doing, and reasonable prices. I get complaints once in a while from customers who request Dean, and get some sh!tshow newbie! Iíve heard of a new drain company that went all out from the start and so far have a good reputation.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but wanted to start a thread asking everyone how they operate when it comes to referrals. If I refer my excavation company I let the customer pay them for their work, and pay for mine. I have a solid customer base. They trust me.

When my Master sends me a job, I give him $25 as a thank you. Usually a one time gift... after that, theyíre also my customer. I have a friend who is also a one man show and we send each other jobs when we have one we just canít get to. We donít hi jack customers, just get them taken care of.

So this new jet company gives referral fees, cool, knew that up front. Nothing but good reports so far. I know of two jobs that they did out of three, the third canceled. I donít know what they charge, but they sent me a check for $147.36. Donít know how they come up with the number, must be %?

I know I should buy a jetter, but had to buy a new 300, $750 for new everything front breaks On the cube and looking at having my camera head rebuilt.....
We get 200 bones if we refer this guy for restoration... another guy will give us a case of beer for a liner job...
We dont do lining but everything else..

The boss doesn't know about either, but I don't care if he did... I rarely refer any of that stuff anyway
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:55 AM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

We generally refer the closest company to the customer that can perform the job. You don't refer someone two towns over. I usually give a couple different names and tell the customer which is closest and that they all do good work and the customer should ask each for a ballpark figure over the phone along with a timeline.

Around here the area is so small and the community so tight knit that referring one buddy means taking work from another buddy. And even if you're not buddy buddy with someone there is the social backlash. We're all in this together, for better or worse.

I do have one guy that bought me lunch a couple times and if he's in front of me at a gas station he'll pay for my sandwich/drink if I have referred to him recently. Other than that no kickbacks of any kind. And even in that case I'm not doing it for the niceties, it's just that I happen to get leads in his area and he and I get along real well because we're both laid back kind of people.

OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I know I should buy a jetter, but BILLS.........

Have you thought about building your own jetter? I don't know about your local laws, it it would be easier to start with a new trailer or go home made. You could save a good amount of money, put money in at your own pace, and best of all you built so you can easily fix it and know what parts it takes.

Seems to me the most important/expensive part is the pump end it self, everything else is run of the mill stuff. I have looked into it myself.

When they want 45k$+ for a trailer jetter it boggles my mind why anyone wouldn't build their own.

OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:21 AM   #5
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

When I was licensed in CA. under their Contractor laws, you cannot give
a gift worth over $10. Dollars for any Referrals, Leads, Etc,
Debo22, OpenSights and skoronesa like this.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Talked with them again tonight after a few referrals. Seem like a good company.They called to ask a few questions. Happy till I get a jetter!
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #7

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACPLUMB777 View Post
When I was licensed in CA. under their Contractor laws, you cannot give
a gift worth over $10. Dollars for any Referrals, Leads, Etc,
Water damage companies got around that law by calling it an advertisement fee. They paid 10% of the invoice to the company I worked for and weíd get $150 spiff.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
Water damage companies got around that law by calling it an advertisement fee. They paid 10% of the invoice to the company I worked for and weíd get $150 spiff.
ďRestoration companiesĒ around here are all handyhack posís!
Old 06-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #9

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I refer most of my drain calls, water service replacement and foundation/weeping tile calls to a few good guys, I’ve been working with for years.
They all give me a taste of the pie.
They pass me their service calls..
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

I used to be polite about it but I have found that most guys are stingy as hell even when you throw them a ton of jobs... the ingratitude really chaps my ass after a while.....

Most sewer guys act like they are doing me a favor and I should pay them something for the referral i gave them!!! ....

Any more, I usually have to get very snotty about this and I ask customer whom I give their number, to tell old Joe that I referred them and that Markie is still waiting for his x-mas bonus or gift certificate to outback restaurant.!!!...
I literally have to shake the tree to see if the tight ass coc/suckers get the hint.....

If I see them in the supply house they all act like they totally forgot the last 5 calls I gave them....

If they were not reliable and good at what they do I probably would just tell the customer to call anyone on line to do the work....

being the saintly person that I am, I am more concerned about helping out my customer with the best one to do the job even if they are stingey cheap asses.....

OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote