Penny drop - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

View Ozplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Penny drop

How many years into running your business did the 'penny drop' and you started to charge what you need to make a profit ?
Ozplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozplumber For This Useful Post:
plumberkc (05-06-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

from the first day in business......you dont go into business to lose money....
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

Yes! It's necessary to raise prices for growth. Margins squeeze as doing business cost increases. If your not growing-your dying.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=Ozplumber;960241]How many years into running your business did the 'penny drop,<snip>

I entered the world of business in 1969, before all the prices started their upward spiral. Man I was rich, just glad I did not buy a farm to raise race horses or some kind of exotic car. Trucks at that time cost about $3,500 bucks I had two -- then came the gas lines the upward spiral of everything, the riches I had were gone I could not keep going the way it was. So I joined NAPHCC, they sent out a book. a big book full of business ideas. One Sunday morning I was reading that book and there was a chapter about O/H and profit. It said what you are spending for items in your business excluding materials and labor divided by gross sales is your overhead percentage. It continued with a graph, on 1 side was % of profit you wanted and the other side was % of O/H you had -- the rest of the blocks on the graph were numbers like 1.13 through 1.93 or thereabouts. It connected I thought you dumb $hit. The difference between what I was selling for and what I should be selling for was dramatic. I changed things around and survived. Now fast forward to 1987 an article in PM by Frank Blau. He fine tuned my business education. Hence me talking about it all the time. I won't say any more but if you go into search on the Zone and then hit tag search -- In the search box type in "BUSINESS MATH"
it will open a post made back in 2014 take the time and read those posts.

A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLUMBER_BILL For This Useful Post:
bulldozer (05-04-2016), Gargalaxy (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozplumber View Post
How many years into running your business did the 'penny drop,<snip>

I entered the world of business in 1969, before all the prices started their upward spiral. Man I was rich, just glad I did not buy a farm to raise race horses or some kind of exotic car. Trucks at that time cost about $3,500 bucks I had two -- then came the gas lines the upward spiral of everything, the riches I had were gone I could not keep going the way it was. So I joined NAPHCC, they sent out a book. a big book full of business ideas. One Sunday morning I was reading that book and there was a chapter about O/H and profit. It said what you are spending for items in your business excluding materials and labor divided by gross sales is your overhead percentage. It continued with a graph, on 1 side was % of profit you wanted and the other side was % of O/H you had -- the rest of the blocks on the graph were numbers like 1.13 through 1.93 or thereabouts. It connected I thought you dumb $hit. The difference between what I was selling for and what I should be selling for was dramatic. I changed things around and survived. Now fast forward to 1987 an article in PM by Frank Blau. He fine tuned my business education. Hence me talking about it all the time. I won't say any more but if you go into search on the Zone and then hit tag search -- In the search box type in "BUSINESS MATH"

(50 years ago, starting a business was cheaper and there was a whole lot less competition.)

Before anything, before calculating anything, an honest appraisal of business skills/aptitude must be done. An honest business plan must be done.

Formulas are all well and fine, IF you have what it takes to operate a business. You had better be able to justify your rates in customer service and quality products or you'll flame out real quick. Face-to-face gossip is far worse than a bad Yelp review and overcharging for bad work is the #1 killer.

In other words, if your skills are at handyman level, charge accordingly. No shame there at all and you'll do okay.
bulldozer (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

View Pacificpipes's Photo Album My Photos

About 3 months in after reading the formula for getting your price on here.
Pacificpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pacificpipes For This Useful Post:
bulldozer (05-04-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How many years into running your business did the 'penny drop' and you started to charge what you need to make a profit ?
Too many years. I had a customer wish me luck in sleeping at night recently. I'm finally starting to charge enough I suppose.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
Best Darn Sewer (05-10-2016), bulldozer (05-08-2016), Plumbdog (05-08-2016), Qplumb (05-05-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

View Plumbergeek's Photo Album My Photos

A lawyer I work for told me the other day after replacing some drain pipes under his tile shower to put up a picture of him in my "lake house" as he was handing me my check!
If he only knew that as a OMS I can barely afford my city house.......
Plumbergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Plumbergeek For This Useful Post:
bulldozer (05-08-2016), dhal22 (05-07-2016), Letterrip (05-07-2016), Plumbdog (05-08-2016), plumberkc (05-06-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #9

View JimmyMac's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=PLUMBER_BILL;960313]
Quote:
How many years into running your business did the 'penny drop,<snip>

I tried the search on "BUSINESS MATH"...It didn't work, you have a link?
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote