New customer, old property!? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By OpenSights
  • 4 Post By OpenSights
  • 3 Post By dhal22
  • 4 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By OpenSights
  • 2 Post By Alan
  • 2 Post By OpenSights
  • 2 Post By Alan

Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default New customer, old property!?

Darn it! Wish I was done with it! 3 properties including one thatís really bad drain issues.

Easy job on my part. See how they pay.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Update: So the new management company went with the most expensive plumbing company in the area over me. My feelings aren’t hurt. Their reasoning is because they are always available and they also are plumbers. I think it’s funny, because the last time I was out of town they called this other company to cable a BTB flange main line. The tech managed to blow through the other toilet and send 40 of cable into the next apartment. Thankfully it was vacant. I didn’t say anything though.

My customer had five properties, sold the biggest problem child a year or two ago. They sold two properties, also problem childs last month. Got a call from the maintenance guy today. They are now selling the last two properties to another management company.

The first year I worked for them I billed them $18k over a 10 month time period, last year was about $5k because they started requiring the maintenance guy to try a drill snake before calling me.

They come and they go sometimes.
dhal22, skoronesa, Tango and 1 others like this.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

A lot of my customers have come and gone over the years, commercial real estate, restaurants chains, car dealerships, etc. The first big customer or 2 that moved on hurt but I learned to deal with it. The best thing that helped to get over it is my annual revenue still increased and continues to every year.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Update: So the new management company went with the most expensive plumbing company in the area over me. My feelings arenít hurt. Their reasoning is because they are always available and they also are plumbers. I think itís funny, because the last time I was out of town they called this other company to cable a BTB flange main line. The tech managed to blow through the other toilet and send 40 of cable into the next apartment. Thankfully it was vacant. I didnít say anything though.

My customer had five properties, sold the biggest problem child a year or two ago. They sold two properties, also problem childs last month. Got a call from the maintenance guy today. They are now selling the last two properties to another management company.

The first year I worked for them I billed them $18k over a 10 month time period, last year was about $5k because they started requiring the maintenance guy to try a drill snake before calling me.

They come and they go sometimes.

never ever put all your eggs into 1 basket...have enough different customers or streams of revenue so if you lose a few you are still in business and can rebuild new customers....
I had a big contractor that wanted me to work for him exclusively ( many many moons ago) and I told him flat out NO..yeah it would have been good money, but then they own you , as they know they are your only source of income and in time they will pay less and less, and this is what I told him and he couldnt disagree with me...
I said I would do as much as I can for him, but I dont put all my eggs into 1 basket...and depend on just 1 customer to make my business viable...
Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Oh, I agree! The first year I would get between one and six calls from them per week. Over the last couple of years it’s been 2-4 calls per month, average for most of my other big management companies. They were one of four big accounts, plus a dozen landlords with anywhere from three to 50+ houses, duplexes and apartment buildings. Not to mention homeowners and referrals.

After the first year they basically became another drop in the bucket.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

I currently have a customer that is unloading an old old old rental house.

They wanted me to move the water heater into the garage and I told them that given the age of the house, trying to tie into the galvanized water lines is going to be problematic and might as well plan for a complete repipe. They shot that idea down.

Then they wanted me to close the wide gap between the toilet and the tub. Everything in the house is tied into the riser for the toilet, so I told her there would be digging involved under the house as well as replacing a bunch of the other drainage piping that's in really bad shape anyway. They passed on that idea too. The tub even has a big drum trap under it!

I made sure to stick a business card in the water heater strap so that the future owners will hopefully call for that job someday.

It is sad though to see people gingerbread over some old crappy plumbing though.
OpenSights and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I currently have a customer that is unloading an old old old rental house.

They wanted me to move the water heater into the garage and I told them that given the age of the house, trying to tie into the galvanized water lines is going to be problematic and might as well plan for a complete repipe. They shot that idea down.

Then they wanted me to close the wide gap between the toilet and the tub. Everything in the house is tied into the riser for the toilet, so I told her there would be digging involved under the house as well as replacing a bunch of the other drainage piping that's in really bad shape anyway. They passed on that idea too. The tub even has a big drum trap under it!

I made sure to stick a business card in the water heater strap so that the future owners will hopefully call for that job someday.

It is sad though to see people gingerbread over some old crappy plumbing though.
Donít get me wrong, I kinda hope this new company calls me back. The two properties theyíre buying are plumbing and drain cleaning gold mines! One is a PITA when it comes to plumbing.

I know they will eventually drop the big guy. Their techs are forced to up sell. Flapper is bad, ďyou need a new toilet. Thatíll be $750.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Donít get me wrong, I kinda hope this new company calls me back. The two properties theyíre buying are plumbing and drain cleaning gold mines! One is a PITA when it comes to plumbing.

I know they will eventually drop the big guy. Their techs are forced to up sell. Flapper is bad, ďyou need a new toilet. Thatíll be $750.
The guy that was teaching the apprenticeship class I went to didn't make his plumbers troubleshoot water heaters even if it was only a no-hot water call. They just told people they didn't troubleshoot and gave them the price of the new heater installed.

I love when people call and say my water heater is out, I think I need a new one, and I'm out of there in 30 minutes and they are happy as a clam not having to spend 800-1000 to get a new one installed.
OpenSights and MASTRPLUMB like this.